Voom 2nd box cost, big boo boo?

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I was thinking about some of the big mistakes Voom has made and the second box lease price is a biggie.

14.95 for a second HD Voom box. How many people do you know what own TWO HD TV's,

So, you own 1 HD TV and 1 or more SD TV's. Most people have more than 1 SD TV, we own 1 just in our bedroom, just the wife and I.

I, most likely the minority, having only 2 people in the house and 2 TV's the cost is annoying...for 29.95 I can get D* in the bedroom and more SD channels than we'd watch. I wouldn't subscribe to premiums, I'd watch them on the HD most likely since thats its there for. Our bedroom TV is more for the news in the early morning and things like that.

Now you get into a house that has 3-4 TV's and suddenly Voom just doesn't make sense at all.

You've alienated a huge group of people with an insanely priced multiple TV structure.

I do think the ship is sinking....everyday their business model will make less and less sense. Obviously if there was someone who believed in the product to bouy it until it was profitable that same person would have made sure it worked from the start.

Right now with the way they are losing money I bet if they had a major technical problem on the main sat it would be the end of Voom.

I wonder if someone will get cold feet before the launch of the new sat, it might just be throwing money down the drain.

I think we'll all know one way or the other in 5-6 months. I'm sure the upcoming Christmas season will be important, HD TV sales will go back up. I know ours has never been priced like it was during Christmas and alot of people are waiting for huge sales. If they don't start snagging a large portion of those sales as subs then their in deep trouble.

There is a concept they should have gone with, free install and 1 month sub with a Sony or Samsung HD set, might be too late now. Why no one thought to tie Voom to a TV sale is beyond me, don't give them the chance to do anything else.

It's true, VOOM made several mistakes...not having a competitive/affordable multi-room solution by now is one of them. However, millions of HDTVs will be sold over the next few years so eventually market opportunities will increase. I am currently waiting for delivery of a 2nd HDTV and others are looking too. The timely (i.e. SOON) release of an affordable Home Networking Solution will be critical to VOOM's future success.

If they can reduce installation costs by not servicing troubled DMAs (poor/limited/troubled OTA areas), and offer a "too good to be true" offer to increase subscribers, then perhaps then can acquire enough subs to survive:

- 1 Year Subscription
- Free Va Va Voom for 6 months
- Mirror fee waived for 6 months
- $25 max rental fee (for up to 4 STBs)
- $10 max mirror fee (for up to 4 STBs)

Eric_C said:
I was thinking about some of the big mistakes Voom has made and the second box lease price is a biggie.

14.95 for a second HD Voom box. How many people do you know what own TWO HD TV's,

So, you own 1 HD TV and 1 or more SD TV's. Most people have more than 1 SD TV, we own 1 just in our bedroom, just the wife and I.

I, most likely the minority, having only 2 people in the house and 2 TV's the cost is annoying...for 29.95 I can get D* in the bedroom and more SD channels than we'd watch. I wouldn't subscribe to premiums, I'd watch them on the HD most likely since thats its there for. Our bedroom TV is more for the news in the early morning and things like that.

Now you get into a house that has 3-4 TV's and suddenly Voom just doesn't make sense at all.

You've alienated a huge group of people with an insanely priced multiple TV structure.

I do think the ship is sinking....everyday their business model will make less and less sense. Obviously if there was someone who believed in the product to bouy it until it was profitable that same person would have made sure it worked from the start.

Right now with the way they are losing money I bet if they had a major technical problem on the main sat it would be the end of Voom.

I wonder if someone will get cold feet before the launch of the new sat, it might just be throwing money down the drain.

I think we'll all know one way or the other in 5-6 months. I'm sure the upcoming Christmas season will be important, HD TV sales will go back up. I know ours has never been priced like it was during Christmas and alot of people are waiting for huge sales. If they don't start snagging a large portion of those sales as subs then their in deep trouble.

There is a concept they should have gone with, free install and 1 month sub with a Sony or Samsung HD set, might be too late now. Why no one thought to tie Voom to a TV sale is beyond me, don't give them the chance to do anything else.

I agree with the overkill on the second box price. Got one box initailly to see what voom was all about. Liked it, called to get a second and they wanted like $200 i think for the "professional install" and $9.99 month(at the time) for the second. No biggie with the second being $9.99 but 2 large for a professional install in insane. DTV back for $20 more and have everything including PPV in the BEdroom. This does not include the kitchen, office, and garage. Hell i could get crappy cable and splice the SD for ever and save money. I am keeping Voom and like it for the volume of HD content but they should relax the dang $200 or whatever it is for the extra bo:mad:s).

Just my .015 cents :)

Well, hopefully it will. Some information or a timeline would be real nice at easing a lot of our worries though.

Sure you can get D* for cheaper, but at what "real" cost? How about PQ? Your D* SD picture will not even come close to what the downrezzed HD channels will look like on your SD set. Not to mention getting them all in widescreen. Oh, unless J6P hooks up this way, then he will bitch about the black bars top and bottom, not knowing that you can enter the Setup menu and tell the box to fill your TV screen, eliminating 33% of your image.

If you are not smart enough to know that you are not losing but gaining with the black bars at the top and bottom, get some cd's from the library of old radio shows and listen to them. Then you don't have to worry about picture shape. Just my 0.20 cents (2 cents with inflation) worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)