Voom AND Dish -- Together?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Guy Owen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
This may be an old question -- forgive me, if it is...
Is anyone using Voom with Dish Network as a dual (or combined) installation?

Is anybody subscribed to both services at the same time? A recent review of my personal comparison Chart (which I mentioned in another thread here) seems to show that the $45 Dish Top 180 package, plus the $40 Voom package is only $5 more than the VaVaVoom package ($80) -- and you get a lot more stations with a lot of science, education, tech, and investment programming in the mix -- vs mostly extra movies with VaVaVoom. I guess my feeling is, if I'm willing to pay $80 for VaVaVoom, then $5 extra for the combo package might make more sense. Plus I get a lot of shows I'm more interested in while also getting a healthy dose of HD. Plus I'd get a Free DVR unit if I so choose at Dish -- but there's a $5 Monthly "programming access fee".

Has anyone tried this?
Does it require two satallite dishes?
Two controller boxes?
Two phone lines for dialing out?

For instance, the Dish Network Top 180 offer states...
a) There's a $5 equipment Lease Fee.
b) There's a $5 programming access Fee -- but I think this gets waived if you are constantly connected to the phone line.
But what is the purpose of that "programming access fee"?
And can both the Dish and Voom units be connected on the same line?

Thanks,

Guy

I have both... Two dishes & two different boxes.

Yes this DVR requires an access fee. I had two already before they make this policy so I was grandfathered into not having the access fee. Remember these are non-hd dvrs only accessible to the dish programming.

One piece of advice... If you have a 50 inches HDTV screen or larger, you will be dissapointed in the PQ of SD channels. If you can live with compression artifacts on the SD channels, you are better off with SD channels. I know I can't and therefore I put aside all SD channels (only my opinion). In my case it is not about quantity or quality of programming but about how good my HDTVs are going look at when I sit down to watch TV. I am very open to any show that is produced in HD. This is my case which it's not agreeable with everyone's.

By the way, I don't use those DVR's anymore. My kids got one so that they can record all the cartoons they want and my wife has the other one so that she can record all she wants. Both have 27" TVs.

That might be a good point. My Mitsubishi is 55". Are you saying the Dish offerings -- not HD -- will be disappointing? Mine can receive pretty much every resolution up to 1080i.

In anticipation of my Voom installation, do I need to order or locate anything specific -- such as special cables?

In order to have Dish and Voom hooked up together, do I need two sets of input connectors on the TV?

Guy. I have a different perspective on this than Sean. I still watch a lot of SD programming, because the contnet is better than what HD offers. Yes, the SD picture never looks good, but that's b/c I'm spoiled by HD. You seem like a man who wants to feed his beast some HD, but also derives enjoyment from many SD programs. I think what you're proposing is a good idea. Both offers have no commitments attatched, so you can always canel and/or upgrade. However, a big selling point for Voom is how many premium movie channels you get in HD. Under your plan, you won't be getting any. Just my $.02. Good luck.

That's a good point. I looked at the list, again, and there are none under normal VOOM other than the ten stations of HD Cinema -- which seem to be getting mixed reviews. And that must be the Catch-22 (I knew there had to be one)! Unless "Epics" counts.

With VaVaVOOM you get Cinemax, Encore, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and The Movie Channel. Two channels have a "usage limit" of some kind, according to their website, and can be withdrawn at any time, apparently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts