Voom and HDMI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pro Lex Performance

Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Will Voom eventually offer a HDMI connection? This is one thing that is holding me back from Voom, I have 2 displays (plasme/projector) and a DVD player that have the HDMI connection. I feel that dvi is going to fade away for consumer electronics like the bnc and rgb connections.
Thanks in advance
-Mike

Only if they change the box out. I suppose it might happen. Personally I think HDMI is a solution for something that wasn't a problem. But hey, as long as they keep making HDMI-DVI cables I guess I don't care.

HDMI will be a long time coming until the day is here when we can interconnect everything and have it work. Why wait? Enjoy what VOOM has today and worry about your connections tomorrow. Does your present gear have DVI with HDCP?

The plasma has hdmi and component only th50px20u and the pj has both dvi and hdmi (sony hs-20). Does the voom stb output through component and dvi simultaneously?
-Mike

DarrellP said:
HDMI will be a long time coming until the day is here when we can interconnect everything and have it work. Why wait? Enjoy what VOOM has today and worry about your connections tomorrow. Does your present gear have DVI with HDCP?

Pro Lex Performance said:
Does the voom stb output through component and dvi simultaneously?
-Mike

In a single word YES. :yes Voom outputs to DVI, Svideo, Composite and component simultainiously.

Bill

Question to The STone Man: I also have Pioneer Media Receiver with HDMI, how are you connecting the digital audio? can you mix it with the DVI into the HDMI or you connect it to the AV receiver?

I won't get HDMI till I get a receiver with HDMI. Kind of defeats the purpose of sending audio and video if your receiver doesn't support it. There is one I know does, toshiba's TC90700FG supports HDMI.... so who knows.

rexoverbey said:
I won't get HDMI till I get a receiver with HDMI. Kind of defeats the purpose of sending audio and video if your receiver doesn't support it. There is one I know does, toshiba's TC90700FG supports HDMI.... so who knows.
Most (if not) all existing HDMI displays only accept analog audio through the HDMI cable. Thus, if you use the HDMI-to-DVI cable all you're loosing is simply a pair of analog/stereo cable.
I own a Panny 42PX20U which I connect to the STB using a HDMI-to-DVI cable. For audio, I use optical (which is superior to HDMI audio anyway).

I'm such a Stone Head. I read Walter's post and instead of looking at the cheesy diagram I did, I went and looked at the cables. I have optical audio in between the Motorola STB and the Marantz receiver. Sorry for the momentary headuprectumitis.

I thought that HDMI was going to replace fiber optic, because, you could link all of you equipment with one cable for video and audio. I thought that was the advantage of it.

rexoverbey is right. I found this definition of HDMI.....

"HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV).

HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel digital audio, with bandwidth to spare to accommodate future enhancements and requirements."

On my A/V receiver, I'm using the FM antenna post for radio reception, and the speaker connections. Monitor out, s-video and analog out to a DVD recorder. And optical audio in between STB and receiver. The STB does not have HDMI capability, but the Pioneer Media receiver does, so the DVI to HDMI cable runs between the STB and the media receiver.

Since I added the HDMI cable after initial install, I left the existing component hookup in place, and I can switch between DVI/HDMI and component with the Pioneer remote.
My TV installer was a lot better at this than me. I'm lucky I know how to work everything.

Walter--add the Pioneer PDP4340HD to your list.

Pioneer PDP-4340HD Plasma Screen TV
The amazing Pioneer PDP4340HD delivers all your favorite programming—movies, sports, concerts, and more—in full HDTV quality. Pioneer digital circuitry up-converts all incoming signals to a 768p display, for a vastly improved picture. Meanwhile, the plasma panel’s Deep-Encased Cell Structure drastically reduces light and color leakage to deliver new industry standards in brightness and contrast. For movies, the Pioneer PureCinema function recreates each still frame, for a more film-like presentation.

All connections to the PureVision plasma series go through a separate (but included) Media Receiver, which maintains totally digital transmission for the highest signal quality and purest picture. The Media Receiver features dual NTSC TV tuners for P-I-P functionality, and provides all the inputs you need—now and in the future—including high-bandwidth component-video inputs and the new state-of-the-art HDMI digital interface.

Manufacturer
Pioneer Model
PDP-4340HD
Screen Size
43" Resolution
1024 x 768
Brightness
1100cd/m2 Contrast Ratio
900:1
Speakers
Built In Mounting Options
Stand Included
Weight
67.25 lbs. PDF Brochure
[not published]
Power Supply
100-120V @ 50-60Hz
Dimensions
44-1/8" x 25-11/16" x 3-7/8"

The Stone Man said:
Walter--add the Pioneer PDP4340HD to your list.

Pioneer PDP-4340HD Plasma Screen TV
The amazing Pioneer PDP4340HD delivers all your favorite programming—movies, sports, concerts, and more—in full HDTV quality. Pioneer digital circuitry up-converts all incoming signals to a 768p display, for a vastly improved picture. Meanwhile, the plasma panel’s Deep-Encased Cell Structure drastically reduces light and color leakage to deliver new industry standards in brightness and contrast. For movies, the Pioneer PureCinema function recreates each still frame, for a more film-like presentation.

All connections to the PureVision plasma series go through a separate (but included) Media Receiver, which maintains totally digital transmission for the highest signal quality and purest picture. The Media Receiver features dual NTSC TV tuners for P-I-P functionality, and provides all the inputs you need—now and in the future—including high-bandwidth component-video inputs and the new state-of-the-art HDMI digital interface.

Manufacturer
Pioneer Model
PDP-4340HD
Screen Size
43" Resolution
1024 x 768
Brightness
1100cd/m2 Contrast Ratio
900:1
Speakers
Built In Mounting Options
Stand Included
Weight
67.25 lbs. PDF Brochure
[not published]
Power Supply
100-120V @ 50-60Hz
Dimensions
44-1/8" x 25-11/16" x 3-7/8"

Where's the firewire? Mitsu claimed the same thing in 2003 with there firewire no DVI or HDMI. I don't think anyone really knows what the standard will be in the future. I think these manufactures need to put all the connectivity possible.

Correct. No firewire on this one. When I was looking, I had no idea what that was, but it didn't sound good. I didn't want any wires that were going to disintegrate and burn down the house. OK---that is a slight exaggeration of my understanding of firewire, but not too far from the truth.

The Stone Man said:
Correct. No firewire on this one. When I was looking, I had no idea what that was, but it didn't sound good. I didn't want any wires that were going to disintegrate and burn down the house. OK---that is a slight exaggeration of my understanding of firewire, but not too far from the truth.

Stone Man, are you talking about it's ability to carry voltage for running components? I'm not sure if they are planning on using it that way on audio video applications? There's a good artical comparing it to DVI @
http://www.1394ta.org/press/2002press/august/8.b.htm
if anyone is bored. But I have gotten completely off coures. Good post Stone Man I never looked at it that way before. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)