Voom and the OTA antenna

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
What OTA antenna comes with the Voom installation? I want to research it and make sure it will fit my needs for the HD OTA programming.

Neutron said:
What OTA antenna comes with the Voom installation? I want to research it and make sure it will fit my needs for the HD OTA programming.
Usually Winegard Sensar II.

Does Voom ever install the small square antenna from Winegard? I'm not far at all from the towers (less than 15 miles) and I want one that will be inconspicuous.

I think you are talking about the Winegard SquareShooter. That would be an upgrade, and I've read where some people have gotten this antenna as an upgrade after their first attempt didn't work too well.

From what I've read recently, Installs, Inc will first use the SensarII. If that doesn't work, they upgrade to an 8 bay antenna from either Winegard or ChannelMaster. After that--some have received the SquareShooter.

My local installer is an indepent contractor who does Voom for Installs. He said that they are given recomendations and an antenna allowance, but they are not required to use any specific model. For instance, I got the Wineguard 7084P at a point where no one else was because he was experimenting. These days he uses the SS a lot, but also a larger Channelmaster if the situation calls for it.

The Stone Man said:
I think you are talking about the Winegard SquareShooter. That would be an upgrade, and I've read where some people have gotten this antenna as an upgrade after their first attempt didn't work too well.

From what I've read recently, Installs, Inc will first use the SensarII. If that doesn't work, they upgrade to an 8 bay antenna from either Winegard or ChannelMaster. After that--some have received the SquareShooter.

They won't use the 8-bay if there are VHF DTV stations in the area.

As far as i know they are installing the Channel Master Stealth, I was installed 3 weeks ago in California and thats what i got...
i think its something like 30 miles UHF and 40 VHF i could have those back wards...supposedly you can have the preamp installed inside of it as well to boost those ranges up a bit.. although my installer claimed he didn't know what i was talking about or if there was one available.

They are no longer installing the stealth. The standard installation is a Winegard Sensar II amplified antenna powered by the receiver voltage (and therefore requiring diplexers or a non-included power inserter). This antenna is rated for light green and approx. 30 miles. It is also bidirectional so if you have two groups of stations in two approximately opposite directions you'll be able to receive both signals.

WickedDyno said:
They are no longer installing the stealth. The standard installation is a Winegard Sensar II amplified antenna powered by the receiver voltage (and therefore requiring diplexers or a non-included power inserter). This antenna is rated for light green and approx. 30 miles. It is also bidirectional so if you have two groups of stations in two approximately opposite directions you'll be able to receive both signals.

Yeah...some installers ARE still using the Stealth. I had Voom installed two weeks ago, and the installed the Sensar. I have not picked up a single HD signal with this antenna despite the fact I am less than 15 miles from all the stations.

I called Voom and requested the Square Shooter as an upgrade. Well the installer shows up yesterday to install the new antenna. He leaves the workorder on my kitchen counter as he goes outside to get the antenna. I glance down at the workorder (because I'm damn nosy) and I see that the installer was given permission to install the 8 bay antenna. Not the Square Shooter I requested, but I have heard the 8 bay is a decent antenna.

Anyway, the installer returns and he is carry the Stealth. I looked at him and told him point blank to take that piece of s*it out of my apartment. I then asked were is the 8 bay antenna. The installer looks at me with a blank stare, and I point to HIS workorder. He apologized and told me that was the antenna he was given as his boss just recently managed to snag a bunch of the Stealth antennas. I told him that given the documented issues with that antenna, no wonder he was able to pick them up in bulk. I told him I want the 8 bay antenna that was approved by Voom. He apologized once again and said he will reschedule me for a later time and brinb the correct antenna.

So we will try it again on Thursday....

occammd said:
possibly, but not necessarily (that's a lot of help I know)
:) That made me smile. OTA reception is so finicky there's no way to know for sure unless you try it. You will most likely still have reception but whether or not it is better or not is unknown. If you like to tinker and have the time and patience...go for it. Just make sure you have realistic expectations and let us know if you do it and what the results are. The reccomended Winegard power supply is the PS-9370.

I was told by my installer just now that I'm getting a Winegard. They didn't say which model though.

traylorc said:
Yeah...some installers ARE still using the Stealth. I had Voom installed two weeks ago, and the installed the Sensar. I have not picked up a single HD signal with this antenna despite the fact I am less than 15 miles from all the stations.

I called Voom and requested the Square Shooter as an upgrade. Well the installer shows up yesterday to install the new antenna. He leaves the workorder on my kitchen counter as he goes outside to get the antenna. I glance down at the workorder (because I'm damn nosy) and I see that the installer was given permission to install the 8 bay antenna. Not the Square Shooter I requested, but I have heard the 8 bay is a decent antenna.

Anyway, the installer returns and he is carry the Stealth. I looked at him and told him point blank to take that piece of s*it out of my apartment. I then asked were is the 8 bay antenna. The installer looks at me with a blank stare, and I point to HIS workorder. He apologized and told me that was the antenna he was given as his boss just recently managed to snag a bunch of the Stealth antennas. I told him that given the documented issues with that antenna, no wonder he was able to pick them up in bulk. I told him I want the 8 bay antenna that was approved by Voom. He apologized once again and said he will reschedule me for a later time and brinb the correct antenna.

So we will try it again on Thursday....

Call the installer's main office or installs inc. Installs inc number I was given is 800-344-4856 but I've heard there's a number directly for the voom group.

OTA antennas

I am still having OTA reception problems after having my second antenna installed a few weeks ago (first was a Stealth, second was a Winegard). My next install is scheduled in a couple of weeks and Installs Inc. says they are bringing out a Channel Master omni-directional 3000 SMARTenna to solve my problems (I have stations in two different directions, all about 20-25 miles away). Two different guys at Radio Shack say I should just put up two antennas with a combiner facing in the two directions I need. Anybody ever have a similar problem? Which do you think will work better? Also, Installs Inc. now is telling me that a company called Signal Finders will be doing the work. Anyone ever hear of them?

OTA antennas

Sorry to have to post this twice but I'm not sure the first one went through.

I am still having OTA reception problems after having my second antenna installed a few weeks ago (first was a Stealth, second was a Winegard). My next install is scheduled in a couple of weeks and Installs Inc. says they are bringing out a Channel Master omni-directional 3000 SMARTenna to solve my problems (I have stations in two different directions, all about 20-25 miles away). Two different guys at Radio Shack say I should just put up two antennas with a combiner facing in the two directions I need. Anybody ever have a similar problem? Which do you think will work better? Also, Installs Inc. now is telling me that a company called Signal Finders will be doing the work. Anyone ever hear of them?

You may want to use a jointenna not just a combiner. Depends upon the frequencies.

try this thread click here . I added a 26db radioshak amp to help pull in other a channel at the opposite angle my setup
but dont know if this fixes your particular problem, i have 3 stb and i only get all my locals on 1 set . VOOM is still trouble shooting the prob

Mr. C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)