Voom cables

sloud74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I already have cable installed and am going to make the switch to Voom anytime. I was wondering if they could somehow connect the satellite to my old cables which are already installed. Or do they have to run new cables throught my house? Has anyone had Voom installed like this?

Thanks.

internet

I am going to keep my cable internet too, so do you think the satellite and internet could coexist on the one cable?

Thanks.

sloud74 said:
I am going to keep my cable internet too, so do you think the satellite and internet could coexist on the one cable?

Thanks.

Do not think so. It will be better to keep them separate.

Since VOOM is willing to pay for up to 4 runs of 125' Coax, I'd go ahead and keep it seperate. Especially if you are keeping cable internet. I wouldn't dismantle your cable system, as you may want to switch back someday. (hey, you never know)

The reason I ask is because I have a 2 story house and don't want cables running everywhere. Do you know how much it costs extra to have them fish the cables through the walls?

Does the basic installation include drilling through walls/floors/ceilings?

sloud74 said:
The reason I ask is because I have a 2 story house and don't want cables running everywhere. Do you know how much it costs extra to have them fish the cables through the walls?

It depends on the installer.

If your cable modem is in a room that isnt getting a voom box then its a simple matter of just maintaining that one connection in the cable box on your house. The cable going to the other rooms that recieve V* recievers would be connected to the sat dish. Otherwise another cable would have to be run for a voom reciever in the room with your cable modem. Or if you have a wireless network(or the appropriate ethernet wiring) you could relocate the modem and router to a room that is not getting sat service. I too have cable internet.

If i remember correctly, the install covers runs wither outside the house, or through a basement, and then a simple hole through an outside wall to the back of a jack. No wall fishing. Most installers do fish wires, but it will take more, and you will be dealing with the individual installer to determine a price, independant of Voom.

For satellite TV you'll need a satellite grade cables - RG 6. They have more bandwidth than standard cable TV cables. If I were you, I would make sure that the existing cables are RG 6.
Most of "preinstalled" cables in homes are NOT RG 6. You'll probably need new ones but don't let the installer to tell you that the existing cables are RG 6! He'll try to screw you because it is much easier for him. Read a label on your cables, it must say RG 6 somewhere if they are made for satellite reception.

I had my installer just use the existing Directv cables which already run into all rooms in my house.

Shelly

Most installers will perfer to use your existing cable wires already build-in to your house, so that they only need to run the cable from the dish to the cable box on the outside wall of your house.

I kept my regular cable with basic cable service as backup, and the cable modem for internet access. I aslo requested separate lines for OTA. The installer charged me $150 for all that. I think it is a reasonable charge. You probably need to negotiate with your installer in your case.

Just for everyones info.
On a DTV or DISH install Satellite and CABLE can share the same wire.

But on a VOOM install Satellite and OTA share the same wire so CABLE must be on a seperate wire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)