Voom Channels Comming to Dish?

I won't be surprised if Dish carrys Voom's programming. That's because I've seen Charlie's negotiation tactics:

- State publicly that the service is worthless.
- Look like you do not know the details because you absolutely have no interest.
- Prove that you are willing to walk away, even if it's going to cost you.

He did this few times already, including with ESPN-HD

-Mark

I believe we will indeed see the VOOM HD programming again sometime in the future, VOOM's HD library is larger then anyone elses HD library.

I believe the Dolans could make some nice money off of the VOOM HD library.

We might not see 21 channels of VOOM programming, but we could see some channels blended together to make new exciting channels.

Its going to be interesting to see this all play out, and I am happy that I can sit in my easy chair and watch VOOM until April 30th.

I must admit I am going to miss the VOOM HD Sideshows though, those always made me laugh.

I doubt he says anything but I hope he does.I hope he does take some of VOOM'S HD programming like a couple of the exclusives(ANIMANIA,MONSTERS,ETC).

Rainbow 1 is a new tech spotbeam bird. If some voom channels are picked up, I'd guess they end up on a different conus sat (still at 61.5).

I would think they might also remix the current 21 into fewer channels. I have a PVR, so this is perfectly fine with me.

Assuming the frequency transfer is approved, how may frequencies does Charlie have at 148 and 61.5? Historically, E* has duplicated the "wing" programming (except for silly channels like HD Demo).

E* has use of all 32 tps at 148 andafter this E* will have use of 28 (the 2 STA tps still dont have an official lisence holder) tps at 61.5

Dish should have plenty of bandwidth at 105 W once AMC-15 is moved there which should occur by early June 2005. Ka band testing at 113 W has to finish by May 21, 2005 and then AMC-15 must be moved to 105 W. Even with the current SD locals at 105 W on AMC-2, there should be 8 - 10 TPs free with AMC-15. Dish uses very high error correction with AMC-2 currently at 105 W because of it low power (60 watts/TP) which limits the number of SD channels per TP to 12. The higher powered AMC-15 (140 watts/TP) should be able to use much less error correction such that 16 SD channels/TP. This should free up several TPs currently being used at 105 W. In addition, the TPs on AMC-15 are also wider in frequency than any of the DBS TPs so 4 HD channels/TP on AMC-15 should allow for greater bandwidth per HD channel than 3 HD channels/TP on the DBS TPs at 110 or the wings. There is also AMC-16 that has to finish Ka band testing at 97 W by June 7, 2005. It will then be moved back to 85 W giving Dish a full 24 Ku band TPs. It is similar to AMC-15 in that it has wider frequency TPs with a capacity of up to 96 HD channels. All of these HD channel capacity numbers are based on using MPEG-2.

kcroyaljosh said:
I was told by a csr at E* that the 20 of the voom channels will be comming to E*by June. He stated that they entered into an agreement to carry those channels.
Very interesting last friday I was at a local dish retailer I was buying a 301 to add to my service.

Before leaving I asked manager of store any HD news from Dish, she real fast said her company was told a DISH announcement was coming in May.

We shall see I have never dealt with this local retailer so who knows.

Trido

dlm10541 said:
I am a Voom transplant and have a 4/18 Dish install. I would love the Voom 21 added. And am getting a 61.5 dish installed -more for CBS HD- just in case

I am sure Dish wants Voom gone as a competitor before it would contract for the programming--only good business sense. Thus no announcements until everything is signed sealed and delivered

Dishnetwork has not purchased the channels from Voom just Rainbow 1 satellite owned by Cablevision.

Other than Voom having the most HD channels I don't think they were a big of a competitor because Voom only had 40K compared to Dishnetworks 11M customers.

drod said:
There is no such agreement. Ergen has met w/ Dolan several times to work out a deal but no deals have been made outside the satellites/ uplink center. Don't you think an announcement like that would be publicly announced by dish? That would be a huge advantage.
Maybe may 1.

It is official....

Starting May 1st 10 VOOM channels will be carried on dishnetwork - and all the rest soon to come...........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts