VOOM Comes through for us early adopters, $300 Credit toward Future Programming

Lucky said:
Do we still get one plus pack included in the basic $ 40 minimum programming charge ?

I am hearing that the Markee Plus Pack is out and that Discovery HD Theater will become part of the regular programming. The new Packs are as followed:

1) Show/TMC
2)Starz
3) Cinemax
4) HBO

Do not take this as official information as we already know information from CSRs is due to change in seconds...

I think they gave the $300 to existing subscribers so that they would not get mad and leave about the new offer for new subscribers. Also they do not want to lose as many subscribers as they are gaining or at least a good portion of it to try to get the company going. I wonder if they planned on giving programming credits like that a while back when charging the higher amount for the hardware.

Cablevision's quarter ends March 2nd and it looks like they really want to keep subscribers. Before VOOM was hovering at 5,000 subs and any loss would look very bad to analysts. They have to keep subs and time is not on their side.
This lease is not good for the financial health of VOOM either. Before they had the consumer premise equipment costs being footed by the consumer. Now Rainbow DBS has to take on more debt in order to pay for the receivers and keep them on the books. Unlike Echostar, Voom is going to have to use new equipment and will not benefit from the reuse of equipment.
Overall the lease option is a great development for the customer; but it signals trouble in the financial health of the company. It looks like a move of desparation. Leasing will become a logistical nigtmare quickly and the lack of a commitment will attract the wrong type of consumer. It seems VOOM will no longer be seeking quality customers and is now just seeking quantity. This worries me because the original demographic they were seeking was high end people with lots of disposable income. The fact that they have failed to fufill this goal will hurt.
Add that to the price erosion of the comple voom channel package from $100 to $80 is worrisome. I know that the package will not have INHD & ESPN but a $20 decrese in price is dramatic. Echostar includes ESPN & HDNET for less then ten dollars so the price decrese does not corralate.
Overall this lease option is great for the common consumerand will be easier to sell to Joe six-pack. However it is a signal something significant has changed at Rainbow DBS and expectations are being scaled back. Lets just hope this ends betterthan Primestar.

If your a bean counter and want a good deal, go to Walmart. If you want great HD programming, far exceeding what the others offer, go with VOOM. You work hard to earn your money. Don't be afraid to spend it. Don't worry about the deal somebody else got. Be glad for them. Haven't you ever stumbled on to a better deal than somebody else?

Geno said:
If your a bean counter and want a good deal, go to Walmart. If you want great HD programming, far exceeding what the others offer, go with VOOM. You work hard to earn your money. Don't be afraid to spend it. Don't worry about the deal somebody else got. Be glad for them. Haven't you ever stumbled on to a better deal than somebody else?

Exactly.....stop your whining people!!! Voom kicks ass on E* and D*, neither of which would ever have considered giving money back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts