Voom drops the ball again

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
One of the last major retailers signs exclusively with D*. I dont know how long I urged on this forum that voom needed compusa, one of the few nationwide retailers left. Im sorry but this could be one of the 3 major nails in our coffin, along with Best Buy and circuit city. Time to bang on Walmarts door?

"CompUSA to Sell DIRECTV<SUP>®</SUP> System Equipment as Exclusive Satellite TV Offering

El Segundo, CA Jul 22, 2004 DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider, and CompUSA Inc., one of the nation's leading retailers and resellers of personal computer-related products and services and consumer electronics, announced today that they have signed an agreement for CompUSA to sell DIRECTV<SUP>®</SUP> System equipment as its exclusive satellite television offering. CompUSA operates in 228 stores in 90 major metropolitan markets."

I really would never buy anything TV related off of CompUSA, Brandsmart here was a good addition for Voom. They need Wal-Mart, Circuit City, and Best Buy IMO.

Does CompUSA sell big-screen TV sets at all? At least the one across the street from me doesn't. So, why would VOOM be even interested?

I consider myself a "techie" would never buy anything TV related through CompUSA unless it was the SAME exact idea just cheaper as anywhere else. I got to TV places to look for TVs. Not PC places looking for HDTV...

There are some places that I would never buy a TV from: Radio Shack, Sears, CompUSA (not with the returning policy they have), WaltMar, etc. They all have their uses but not for TV screens that will cost me over $3,000. That is just me. The first I thing I look from any local place is their Money Back Guarantee policy. I rather pay higher price to a local guy with a MBG policy with no questions asked. CompUSA policy does not fall into that with any product. Their policy is store credit. I was burned once with them.

Ilya said:
Does CompUSA sell big-screen TV sets at all? At least the one across the street from me doesn't. So, why would VOOM be even interested?
Mine does, and its right next to CC and BB. Apparently those that dont sell them will very soon or else why would D* want to be exclusive to CompUsa?

Sean Mota said:
There are some places that I would never buy a TV from: Radio Shack, Sears, CompUSA (not with the returning policy they have), WaltMar, etc. They all have their uses but not for TV screens that will cost me over $3,000. That is just me. The first I thing I look from any local place is their Money Back Guarantee policy. I rather pay higher price to a local guy with a MBG policy with no questions asked. CompUSA policy does not fall into that with any product. Their policy is store credit. I was burned once with them.
I would never buy anything from CompUsa either. Ive been burned too. But that has nothing to do with it. Getting 1.5 million subs ASAP and breaking even does. Walmart is now loaded with HDTV's and USDTV recievers. D* will probably move in there next. V* will fiddle while Rome burns it seems. If V* thinks its going to sign up subs only by word of mouth, the dead halls of sears, or in high end shops and stay in business they are mistaken. At this point, V* needs a place like CompUSA just so people can see their product.

Dvlos said:
I really would never buy anything TV related off of CompUSA, Brandsmart here was a good addition for Voom. They need Wal-Mart, Circuit City, and Best Buy IMO.
For you information, they are locked out of BB and CC already. Add Compusa to the list. Whats left? Walmart?

vurbano said:
I would never buy anything from CompUsa either. Ive been burned too. But that has nothing to do with it. Getting 1.5 million subs ASAP and breaking even does. Walmart is now loaded with HDTV's and USDTV recievers. D* will probably move in there next. V* will fiddle while Rome burns it seems. If V* thinks its going to sign up subs only by word of mouth, the dead halls of sears, or in high end shops and stay in business they are mistaken. At this point, V* needs a place like CompUSA just so people can see their product.

I understand your point don't get wrong. I just won't buy anything like an HDTV from them. People with a little sense wouldn't either for various reasons.

Sean Mota said:
I understand your point don't get wrong. I just won't buy anything like an HDTV from them. People with a little sense wouldn't either for various reasons.
Who cares if anyone buys sets from them, the point is Voom is not getting any exposure where most of the volume shopping is done. D* knows this and has the big stores under contract now. Voom has sat on their duffs. It makes you wonder? Are they trying to succeed or fail? CompUSa is full of shoppers, who just might comeback and buy Voom after buying an HDTV there or in another location.

vurbano said:
Who cares if anyone buys sets from them, the point is Voom is not getting any exposure where most of the volume shopping is done. D* knows this and has the big stores under contract now. Voom has sat on their duffs. It makes you wonder? Are they trying to succeed or fail? CompUSa is full of shoppers, who just might comeback and buy Voom after buying an HDTV there or in another location.

I am not trying to disagree with you at all. I am just saying that if I am looking for an HDTV I will not look at CompUSA as the place to look for an HDTV or HDTV service.

Well VOOM seems to be a rental service for the most part so you are not really "buying" anything. Just buying the service. It seems very few customers opt to purchase the box.

Sean Mota said:
I am not trying to disagree with you at all. I am just saying that if I am looking for an HDTV I will not look at CompUSA as the place to look for an HDTV or HDTV service.
well, no offense but you must realize that you are not a typical TV consumer Sean. I think I am a much newer HD viewer and more representative of the kind of demographic voom will need to survive. (only one inexpensive HD set).

WHY?

There obviously are not enough high end customers for Voom to be successful. The high end ones (being more informed than most) already know about Voom, and they havent subscribed. My point is Voom wont make it trying to sell to only high end technology people in high end shops. Can you imagine the increase in Subs that could occur this Xmas if Voom was in a mall area with BB and CC? Joesixpack and I like to look at all of the TV's before making a decision. And even if I buy a set from a high end shop I just might come back for those 40 HD channels. As for not buying the service at compusa, why would anyone do that? The best deal is always online. Shoppers know that. Even Joesixpack knows it. The point is not that people would buy Voom at Compusa. The point is getting them to see it and want it. Many potential subs probably think that D* is the only game in town, and its not true. As far as sears goes, I could have a stroke and lay there for hours before anyone found me.

(Sean, if your point is that, that is just your personal preference then fine. But I dont think it has anything to do with the bigger picture)

ratam said:
I just got back from a trip to Fort Lauderdale,. "BrandsMart" has a big electronics & appliance store there with Voom running on dozens of their HDTV's. The store is comparable to a Circuit City or Best Buy.

http://www.brandsmartusa.com/
thats great for FT lauderdale FL. what about the rest of the country?

I wasn't suggesting you buy your TV from them. To me, it is more a matter of the target audience and their ability to understand what they are seeing and possibly be interested in it.

Marketing is not my field but I can only relay from experience. Most people I know who are interested in HDTV and who are not at all experience with HD will not go to CompUSA to buy an HDTV or HD Service. The people I know are drawn more to Circuit City, Best Buy and P.C. Richards. I bought my HDTVs from Circuit City for the very reason of MBG. They had what I wanted and were given me the MBG that I was looking for.

Yes, I get your point in terms of being a marketing scheme to get you into the store and buy. Does it mean that once they lure you in, you automatically buy? I do not know the answer to the question and I don't want to answer it either (as I said this is not my field). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)