Voom drops the ball again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I agree this is bad news for Voom, but it's not true to say they dropped the ball on this. Look at it from CompUSA point of view, D* is offering them a good deal for exclusive rights, or they can make a deal with Voom. With D* (major established satelite company), they will most likely do well and make money, with Voom (a startup), they would be taking a big gamble. Voom didnt drop the ball here, they are just at a huge negotiating disadvantage. D* is being very smart about this and is flexing their sizeable muscles. That is how business works.

They also sell V* stb's in Electronics Expo, Here in NY/NJ area.
They don't have it on there web site yet, But I was in the store and saw it.
I know,I know, What about the rest of the country!
It is still a start a start that should have started a long time ago in many stoes.

Wal-Mart is not a option,they just signed a deal with D* and are in the process of dumping E*,maybe they should work on getting into places like Costco.

bruce said:
Wal-Mart is not a option,they just signed a deal with D* and are in the process of dumping E*,maybe they should work on getting into places like Costco.
Walmart is not even an option? DIdnt Voom fire the marketing dept once already? Time to do it again.

I agree with vurbano. Without being visible (i.e., without good marketing strategy) Voom cannot survive regardless of the number of HD channels and regardless of how much more bandwith they assign to their HD channels than D* or E*.

Deja Vu, I had the Wally-Mart discussion with VOOM E-mail Support earlier this month. Today's word of the day is Apathy! Anyway, here are the good parts:

Customer:
If VOOM is waiting for Wal-Mart to come to them...that's a huge mistake! Rainbow DBS/VOOM should be kissing Wal-Mart's proverbial bottom in order to get shelf space IMO.

Thanks!!!

VOOM Reply:
Thank you for contacting VOOM,
That's a great question! For a major retailer to partner up with VOOM, they must contact us and be approved through our Sales Team. I do not have any information on upcoming sales partners of VOOM at this time. I can recommend that you sign up for email updates through our web site. That way, once this informaiton is available, you can be notified. Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in HDTV!

Customer:
I also stopped by the local Wal-Mart...well, all I can say is Wal-Mart is going to be a major HDTV player. In a matter of a month, they now have no less than a dozen rear projection HDTVs and another half-dozen LCD/Plasma/DLP monitors on display. While they certainly weren't selling top-of-the-line Mits, they were offering some familiar names like Phillips, RCA, Panasonic and even a low-end Pioneer RPTV...most were 47-51" and in the $1100-$1500 price range. It's hard to believe, but it's beginning to look like my Mits Diamond Select may be outperformed by a Wal-Mart APEX model in a couple more years. Well, it looks like I may be replacing our 8 year old RCA tube TV with one purchase from Wal-Mart later this year.

Anyway, there was no VOOMin' at Wal-Mart and I noticed a significant number of their HDTVs came with a built in NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner and CableCard slot. With the local Adelphia Cable Company now offering 13 HD Channels (4 are locals), their is little reason for Joe Six-Pack to look at VOOM. Does anyone know if VOOM plans to market their wares in Wal-Mart?

Wait for the retailer to contact VOom? Sounds like Voom has a lazy ass sales VP... I think he needs to be fired and Voom can hire me to do the job.

Here in Los Angeles, CompUSA is the owner of Good Guys-who does sell plenty of HD sets, so it would make sense that if Voom had a deal with CompUSA- they could have stuck a foot in the door at The Good Guys.

The bottom line is: Voom must have a national retail POS to aquire more subs.

vurbano said:
Really? how did Vooms negotiations go? Were there ever any?

So you dont know either? So please tell how Voom dropped the ball? You sounded very sure in your thread title.

I worked 10 years in a Marketing Firm before I opened my own business,we never had any Cable Companies as our clients but we did have companies that would advertise on Cable Channels as our clients,anyways the info we could get from Cable Companies was the attitude that business would come to them(this was before D* and E*)that attitude is now only changing now because their(Cable) market share is dropping so much.

Dear Voom,

As your customers we demand you fire your Marketing/Sales group and hire the good forum users here at SatGuys instead. We guarantee you will market a product that will have everyone drooling over in a few weeks.

Sincerely,

The people who pay you.

Dvlos said:
Dear Voom,

As your customers we demand you fire your Marketing/Sales group and hire the good forum users here at SatGuys instead. We guarantee you will market a product that will have everyone drooling over in a few weeks.

Sincerely,

The people who pay you.

1.They need to hire who ever did E*'s first year marketing(I know E* and V* are different services)but think about it,in their first month they had 100,000 subs and 1,000,000 subs at the end of the first year,and they were not in Retail Stores(D* was in all the big stores and still are like Best Buy and Circuit City)all E* had was print ads(TV Guide was big for them back then)what ever they did,worked.

2.Figure out how to get in the big stores,increase pay-outs to make it worth the while of the Retail Stores to carry them.

bruce said:
1.They need to hire who ever did E*'s first year marketing(I know E* and V* are different services)but think about it,in their first month they had 100,000 subs and 1,000,000 subs at the end of the first year,and they were not in Retail Stores(D* was in all the big stores and still are like Best Buy and Circuit City)all E* had was print ads(TV Guide was big for them back then)what ever they did,worked.

2.Figure out how to get in the big stores,increase pay-outs to make it worth the while of the Retail Stores to carry them.
Has Voom even had an add in the Sears sunday newspaper flyer? I havent checked in a month but before all i had seen is DISH in there. Now thats sad, Sears is supposed to be their main outlet.

The CompUSA Circulars that come in the paper usually have an ad for their satellite offering. It used to be E* now its D*

V* lost a lot of free advertising.

This is not a retail store but I think they have the best cutomer service far as I am concerned.. "Crutchfeild" it was nice to see them working with Voom, you may pay more with Crutchfeild but it is well worth it..Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts