Voom Dvr

dvd RECORDER

im using a Philips DVDR75 Progressive-Scan DVD Player/Recorder ON SALE !
it makes good DVD's with VOOM, Im planning to add tivo to the mix as soon as it arrives.
anybody recording voom to a seperate tivo then to a DVD burner, hows pic quality?

Attachments

• phil.jpg
    phil.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 148
Technut said:
im using a Philips DVDR75 Progressive-Scan DVD Player/Recorder ON SALE !
it makes good DVD's with VOOM, Im planning to add tivo to the mix as soon as it arrives.
anybody recording voom to a seperate tivo then to a DVD burner, hows pic quality?

I am using the HS2. It gives me DVD quality at 480p when I record an HD program.

Does any dvd have the ability to record a program while you are watching another channel on VOOM. I assume not. Are you only limited to VCR style recording, like when you are away. WHat happens when you are watching something and a scheduled recording conflicts?

FredOh said:
Does any dvd have the ability to record a program while you are watching another channel on VOOM. I assume not. Are you only limited to VCR style recording, like when you are away. WHat happens when you are watching something and a scheduled recording conflicts?

Your assumption is quite correct. You need to tuners to do that. Yes, the VCR style recording is correct with my HS2. The way I do it is that I use the program planner on the VOOM stb. This takes care of the conflict on the VOOM box. Then I do the same on the HS2. Both clocks need to be syncronized in order to work.

In my HS2, I can do timeshifting with one tuner. That is, I can skip commercials while watching a program as long as I record it ahead of time.

FredOh said:
Does any dvd have the ability to record a program while you are watching another channel on VOOM.
I assume you are asking about DVR (not DVD). Yes, the future VOOM DVR is supposed to have this capability: you will be able to watch one channel while recording another one. This is because it will have two satellite tuners.

One nice feature of my Panny is that I can dub a recording onto a DVD in high speed mode and still record to the hard drive at the same time, but it's still limited to one channel at a time.

i work for voom, there is no list. there is just a note on your account about your interest in DVR.

Oh yeah, and the dvr will allow one to record up to 2 channels and watch a third. The dvr will also be able to record in true HD,unlike this other DVR, 480 progressive is only dvd quality and not true HD.

I spoke with VOOM & this is what I was told the latest update is. They are actively working on an HD-DVR and plan to make it available in the coming months. The VOOM HD-DVR,will allow you to watch and record both standard definition and high definition programming sent through VOOM. The VOOM HD-DVR also has multiple tuners, allowing you to record two shows while you're watching a third. If you already have TiVo or another DVR, you can use it to record VOOM programming.

However, these DVRs can record and display information only in standard definition. This means that your VOOM high definition programming will be recorded and displayed in standard definition when you TiVo it.

GAWD187 said:
Oh yeah, and the dvr will allow one to record up to 2 channels and watch a third. The dvr will also be able to record in true HD,unlike this other DVR, 480 progressive is only dvd quality and not true HD.

Let me try... Will it have firewire?

GAWD187 said:
So it looks like what I heard is right? :) Good to hear.

I surely wish that Voom would give out more press-releases I still haven't gotten a monthly Voom newsletter, but the more information they give us, the less we speculate and just anticipate.

from all the information that we have been given, this all that we are allowed to say, so yes, IEEE is an output

Initiates, authorizes, and facilitates the purchase of on demand programming services • Decodes high-definition video • Outputs HDTV in multiple video modes • Enables high-quality video and surround-sound audio • Supports multi-size, factory-installed hard disk drives (HDD) • Provides dual tuner DVR functionality to pause and time shift live video • Includes a built in DOCSIS cable modem for IP services • Digital outputs: IEEE 1394 / DVI

I'll believe firewire (and for that matter the DVR itself) when I see it. I know Wilt wants it, I know we all want it... but wanting and getting are 2 different things.

GAWD187 said:
i work for voom, there is no list. there is just a note on your account about your interest in DVR.
GAWD, speak to me from onhigh the mountain, please. :D What is with the rumors of the $20 extra to rent the PVR? This rumor is running rampant in the other threads and it either needs to be squished or verified because many people are pissed at Voom but I haven't seen an official post about the price yet. Any word on this?

Thanks.

dvr cost

kawdog said:
But what does being put on the list cost? Are they going to put me on the list then charge me $1000 dollars to my credit card when the DVR comes out. I don't know what I am talking about but it just sounds like something that would happen between me and VOOM ;)

kaw
Just called VOOM and got put on the list for the dvr. The CSR said the cost has not been determined yet but he thought it would be about $5 per month and that you are not "locked" into any commitment by being put on the list; i.e. you can refuse it when it becomes available. :)

So the DVR will cost LESS than the standard receiver. Yeah that makes sense. Costs more to develop, more to build, and is in higher demand. All these factors naturally drive down the price. It's economics 101.

do they (CSRs) just make up this off the top of their head, repeat stuff they hear around the watercooler, or consult Dionne Warwick?

nnicko said:
it would be about $5 per month...
$5/month would only make sense for the "thin" client side...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)