Voom DVR???

Grimlok

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
NJ
I just set up for new service w/Voom and I'm anxiously awaiting my installation. My question is about the multiroom DVR boxes that were announced during the CES. Is there any updated news conerning these boxes? Should I wait on my install till these boxes come out? Any news is greatly appreciated!! :what

Many are awaiting info on the DVR. I decided to do some playing around with other options. I built a PC/DVR and also purchased a Toshiba DVD-Recorder/Tivo. Both work nicely with VoOm and record very well. Both just downvert the HD content. I understand that Sony is coming out with 2 HD-DVR's next month that are stand alone units. I will probably look at one of those also unless VoOm releases theres first.

Is it true that the Sony DVR's will only have a single tuner? Also, I know they are supposed to work with cable cards, but have not heard of any satellite support yet. I would be interested if they will work with Voom and have dual tuners.

I had reason to speak with a CSR this weekend. I know these guys tend to be a bit optimistic, and the story has changed multiple times. However, this CSR told me the same thing I've seen others post in this forum - that they are in final testing of the PVR and it seems to be working well. They don't have any information on pricing as yet, but technically, they claim to be in the home stretch.

A few weeks back I asked another CSR about this, and was told to expect it before the end of Q2. Yeah - that's more than a year after it was originally promised. But that's a bad road to go down. At this point, we have to take what we can get, and it sounds like - as long as the company continues to stay afloat - that the PVR will make its way around "soon."

To answer your question, you should wait until the DVR is released until you sign up. Everyone is talking about the regular DVR - the multi-room does not even has an expected release year. If you are in NJ you can get almost as many HD programs using the comcast HD DVR as you can with VOOM with no DVR.

Grimlok said:
I just set up for new service w/Voom and I'm anxiously awaiting my installation. My question is about the multiroom DVR boxes that were announced during the CES. Is there any updated news conerning these boxes? Should I wait on my install till these boxes come out? Any news is greatly appreciated!! :what

Go for it. I just returned my Comcast DVR today in favor of a 6200. The hard drive space runs out after five or six movies. Firewire would go great with my JVC 5U DVHS deck to watch a movies a couple of months later. DVR was nice for football replays on my terms. I could not justify the cost when the limitations are considered. I have Comcast for CSN-HD Philly and the INHDs. I do not sub to Comcast's standard basic tier as I get that on Voom.

Asking when the DVR is coming out is like asking your father on his death bed if he is he still going to give you the new bicycle he promised. If you your hanging your decision to install on just the DVR...than wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts