VOOM Execs.. give us an outlook!!

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
It's October now, so there's a new satellite out there that could be beaming like 20 new RSNs in SD to everyone, HGTV, Lifetime, pull all the SDs off Rainbow 1, add more HD... and mums the word.

DVR... still mumming... although allegedly hovering closer?

MPEG4/WM9 ... have they even decided WHICH codec it will be?

New HD channel lineups... this is a great idea, what's the hold up? Will new promos be run?

All these questions so little answers, hey Voom people, don't just read, post too! We just want to know if this is still coming, is there a major delay, getting closer?

I got my wife nagging me every other day for lack of recording.. it's getting crazy, she's missing movies, shows, and I've missed some sporting events, it's causing quite a fuss now in the home!

Here is the Sep 10 statement Voom execs gave on their outlook:

"Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we are unlikely to have a successful" direct broadcast satellite business, Cablevision said

Now what part of "going out of business" don't you understand?
:confused:

Dvlos, I hear ya. Voom - Whats the deal? We are your loyal customer base here. Keep us informed. Give us something to look forward to. Give us something to tell other future Voomers about. And, don't forget about that new elliptical dish we all heard about. Personally, I don't even need a time frame for these things, just an update on whats going on.

Please no Voom flaming, just want to know what's up...a steady stream of information is a sign of love... for example:

Hey Voomers, Kung FU and other new HD channels planned for the new fall lineup is being delayed because we hope to have some new promo and ads running for these great new channels, we are currently filming new ones right now. We expect to have them done by late October.

The DVR is still progressing, we are having problems with the tuners at the moment, they crash when watching CSI, wierd, still ironing out that problem as well.

We can't decide which codec for a variety of reasons, MPEG4 is cheaper to license but the PQ and bandwidth reduction is not as good as WM9.. Microsoft wants to own 40% of Voom if we use WM9...

See something along those lines.

Dvlos said:
MPEG4/WM9 ... have they even decided WHICH codec it will be?
Wilt has previously posted that the add-in card will support both formats (or more correcly H.264/WM9). They will start the conversion with some of the SD channels and then HD. Eventually, they will standarize in one of the 2 formats.

Walter L. said:
Wilt has previously posted that the add-in card will support both formats (or more correcly H.264/WM9). They will start the conversion with some of the SD channels and then HD. Eventually, they will standarize in one of the 2 formats.

I'm glad to see it's H.264 - I had wondered if they would go with that or the older H.263 that is also MPEG4. I'm all in favor of using the standard H.264 instead of the Microsoft proprietary WM9. I'd like to see one of the two bandwidth expansions go online soon - either the improved compression or the added satellite space. They only have a couple of weeks before basketball starts to get the RSNs online and be able to offer an NBA league pass in HD.

If they could score lots of RSNs nationwide in SD that could appeal to everyone, I think D* and E* all have several RSNs in SD to watch, then as they can add RSN HDs.

I'm surprised we haven't see a new channel or two with the start of October. Offhand, I am not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about the DVR, WPEG4/WM9, RSNs, Bigger Dish, etc. "I don't feel the love!"

I Wonder If The Money Is All Gone?
Maybe No Sat. @ 72 Degrees Or 2 More Sat.s At 166.
Maybe No New Bigger Dish.
Maybe No DVR.
Maybe Soon No Voom.

No New Subs Means No Voom!!!

Yeah! Where's the love?

Talk to us VOOM people! Every single one of us who has/is sticking it out with you through all of the bumps, we deserve some feedback.

I'm feeling restless too. Since I joined in May, there have been (to me) only two significant developments: 1) the s/w update that made the STB more usable, and 2) addition of TNT-HD, which let me watch the NBA playoffs and other shows in HD. I didn't care about the Olympics feed, which I got OTA anyway, and the FSNs are blacked out to me.

There's some good announcement with voom cinema changes, but that will not be make or break for me. My biggest concern:nothing happening with DVR (I guess there's the demo, but not even an actual workinh STB), no new dish, no sign of wm9/mpeg4, still no food network and hgtv, and no FSN for my area. The only things known for sure are: 1) sub numbers are unsustainably low 2) prices will go up 1/1/2005.

I'm not feeling the love, people :(

I feel your pain barth2k:(. I don't understand how they remain quite for so long on such critical times??? Even if they said (or leaked) Cinema.... 2nd or 3rd week...., DVR Mid Nov ... .:confused::confused: :confused:

I am not happy,but patiently waiting. I still have Direct TV for the TIVO functionality, but canceling D* tomorrow would make me very happy!!! :eek:

Damn I am HATING this HD lite :p Cable coming on Thursday ... how quick is Voom coming ... that remains to be seen ... I need WM9 and DVR lease to return.

With no oval dishes and no use of the new satellites, and no DVR, etc. it tells me something about the future of VOOM. Something tells me since they never bothered to incur the cost of switching out dishes, etc. the company does not have longevity plans. I hope VOOM stays, but my personal opinion, is they will be out of business before you see any of these items.

I'm starting to feel the same way. We are going to see them go down or get absorbed by Dish Network. I just hope I get the DVR solution in my grubby hands before that happens. The DVR is the only thing keeping me right now. I hardly watch any of the VOOM original channels anymore.

Actually the only reason I really ever joined was to get the free antenna along with the free HD receivers.

HeavyC said:
Actually the only reason I really ever joined was to get the free antenna along with the free HD receivers.

So, you've got everything you ever wanted from Voom. Life is great! :rolleyes:

What's that supposed to mean? I'm just being honest. The free stuff is what got me to try out VOOM. When your price out what it would cost to buy all the receivers outright, it was one hell of a deal. At least it was for me.

If VOOM can deliver on the DVR they'll have me as a customer to the bitter end, if not they'll lose me. The programming itself is not good enough to keep me on. That was my point.

HeavyC said:
... The programming itself is not good enough to keep me on. That was my point.

I know. But I don't get it. I thought that we are all interested in watching HD programming (which Voom is about). What are you going to do with the hardware without the software?

Even with the repeats sometimes I find myself missing shows and movies, or when I do have a chance to sit down and watch TV for a while. It's all good, but my wife has been real miffed, she said she would love to have a recorder to record like 4-5 movies during the day, give them a chance at night when there's nothing to watch, and if you don't like it no big deal erase it. Sometimes there are some lesser known gems on the premiums or Voom exclusives, that you just don't give them a chance over more known shows and movies.

As well as other reasons, kids and life get in the way at times and I seriously hate missing 10-15 minutes of a show I'm watching.

However Voom IS working on it, and you know it's coming the way the demo the software. Further more Voom's solution is more family oriented than D* or E*... if Voom's stance was "Screw you want recording get a TiVo and record in SD muahahah!" I would quite.. but it's obvious that their DVR and WHS is going to have a lot to offer.. and if it comes in a lease or rent to own plan.. forget it WILL be the best deal on the HD recording market right now.

=====

WM9 or MPEG4 can fix two things hopefully PQ, and more channels.

=====

New dish will equal more channels...

ONce this is all in place, ads, flyers, and commercials have to pimp the heck out of these new resources, that along with a better multi-room deal will definately catch people's eye.

Imagine seeing a flyer mailed to your house that says:

VOOM - 170 Standard Channels and 35 HD channels.

Locals via OTA free antenna plus CBS (maybe NBC and ABC?) HD distant feeds.

RSNs in SD (some HD where applicable) for you to watch with the sports pack.

KUNG FU HD, GUY HD (picture of scantly clad female)!!!! and other Exclusive HD Voom channels which have pristine DVD quality look on SD channels!

HD Recording for the whole house! Connect 5 TVs for less than DirectTV with out Whole House Solution !!

0 Down and 2 Year Commitment basic packages starting at 49.99!!!

====================

Wrap it all together and you have a solid entry against D* and E* who offer tons of channel choices (mostly in SD), and good multi room deals. You compete with all the J6Ps choices on DBS and throw in all the HD choices on top with superior recording abilities for the ever-expanding HD market and IMO you can't lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts