VOOM Execs.. give us an outlook!!

andrzej said:
I know. But I don't get it. I thought that we are all interested in watching HD programming (which Voom is about). What are you going to do with the hardware without the software?

For me at least, the exclusive HD programming was just a bonus. So far the programming has met my expectations, but then again I didn't set them that high in the first place. In all honesty, almost all of the HD I watch is on Discovery HD Theater, HBO HD, TNT HD (during basketball season), and the network HD off my antenna.

Over the entire course of my subscription to VOOM, I've only sat down and watched one movie all the way through to completion from start to finish. (A lot of that is attributed to the lack of DVR and lot is attributed to there not being very much there to watch in terms on content...at least for me). Honestly, the only time I really turn on the VOOM channels is when I demo HD for my friends and family.

Before I signed up for VOOM, I had two HDTV's in the house (now I have 3). Neither of the TV's had an HD signal because I was still under my original Dish Network contract, and I didn't want to pony up the cash to Dish when I didn't think their equipment was all that great (see the 921 and the 801). My contract expired and the VOOM deal came along where I could get HD boxes for both my TV's without having to plunk down a ton of money. It was a great deal.

VOOM offered all the main channels I was used to watching (minus the RSN...which is a huge deal for me). I had to give up my DVR, but I thought there would be one coming sooner rather than later. I figured that with 0 committment, if I didn't like it, I could always switch down the line.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about VOOM, but I don't know if there is enough to like to keep me as a customer. For me right now, the only thing that doesn't keep me from going to DirecTV is the large amount of money I'd have to pony up in order to get HD equipment for my TV's. VOOM continues to keep me as a customer because of the cheap equipment.

Once that changes (or I finally have the luxury of dropping a bunch of money on Sat equipment), my status as a customer will also probably change. The one thing I've noticed on here is that everyone assumes VOOM gained these subscribers because of all the HD programming. I mean it's nice and everything, but it isn't necessarily why I joined. I also can vouch for a few other people I got to sign up as well. The deal for the hardware was just too good to pass up.

In all honesty, I love to root for the underdog, and I really hope VOOM can make it. However, with no firm plans in place and a growing sense that the company is just kind of adrift with no real direction, it is hard to stay optimistic.

I signed up for V* for 4 reasons
- TNT-HD for the NBA
- couldn't find a HD Tivo
- they would fix my OTA reception problems
- the additional HD premium channels - I was tired of only watching DVDs on my HD projector.

The downsides were no fox sport ohio for the cavs, no DVR, and no cost effective solution for our SD tvs. Because of these, I had to keep the basic SD DirecTV subscription. I'm going to be patient a while longer to see how things develop, but at some point I'm going to have to drop one of the services because it is getting expensive. Add Fox Sports Ohio as expected, get the DVR out, and start bringing the new bandwitdh online and I'll drop DirecTV.

HeavyC - I for one appreciate your honesty. As seen, honesty is not always well received here, especially when it's the truth. Good luck on your future endeavors with Voom.

There was only one reason why I signed up -- HD Programming. I was a charter member and paid $750 up front to see it. Had three months of free programming and later on switched to lease and received back my $750. So far, I haven't found the perfect provider that gives me everything I want. I still carry two other providers but HD is what keeps me hanging as I can not find the same programming in other places. Again this is just my opinion.

I signed up for VOom for more HD as well, I still want to keep that HD volume and quality growing, I also don't want to see Voom go under as I like their service. My posts are more oriented towards what could make Voom better. These upcoming features are very interesting, so all I want, and others, is more feedback and news, it keeps us in the loop as we all look forward to a better satellite service.

Others keep more than 1 provider to encompass all their needs, others can't afford that, they'd like to see VOom grow to a point it does cover all the needs, at least enough to drop all providers and stay with Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)