VOOM - First Impressions

apcaruso

Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Hi,

I took advantage of the current offer and my installation was yesterday. I'll have to say I was a bit un-sure, considering the numerous negative posts on this board, but I am very impressed with the picture quality, variety of programming and performance of the hardware. In addition, integration of OTA and Satellite channels is seamless.

On the negative side the install process was a bit stressful. I would have preferred to do it myself, especially considering my first two appointments were cancelled. (3rd times the charm, I guess http://www.satelliteguys.us/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=80#)

Regarding customer treatment from VOOM, I called customer service several times due to the numerous installation scheduling issues, but the VOOM staff was always VERY helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied. The problem was on the installers end, not VOOM. If I were advising them I'd suggest they allow customers the option to install their own equipment as does the other satellite providers. Having said that, and reading the older posts regarding unsatisfactory customer support, I think VOOM is dealing with their customer relations problems of the past.

I look forward to more great programming.

i too am back as a voom customer. the service is still not as dependable as DIRECTV but there Are just so MANY MORE HDTV CHANNELS. i havent had my Directv box on in 4 days, (since Voom install) i tried voom in april and while impressed with the pic Q (when it worked) the csr and installs inc , plus billing issues all landed on my head at once LOL it wasnt worth it at the time but with the new offer i was willing to give Voom a try again. i am still having a minor issue with the box but it is vastly improved since april as for CSR they are more knowledgable since april, thats a big help. But there ARE SO MANY MORE HD CHANNELS , < i think i may have mentioned the MANY MORE HD CHANNELS

apcaruso said:
Hi,
I took advantage of the current offer and my installation was yesterday. I'll have to say I was a bit un-sure, considering the numerous negative posts on this board, but I am very impressed with the picture quality, variety of programming and performance of the hardware. In addition, integration of OTA and Satellite channels is seamless.
Glad to hear you're off to a good start, apcaruso. As far as the negative posting goes, I think it's just human nature (or at least Voomer nature) to air your gripes earlier, more often, and in more creative/colorful language than your praises. I've been guilty of it myself, despite the fact that I am now quite happy with Voom ( and have been thrilled with their product from my first day!).

I've been reading these forums for weeks trying to make my decision...seems like all the satellite systems had there share of negative and positive posts. Hope mine is a positive! I'll know come wed. morning.

Hello Again,
NOT VOOMING HERE !
I love the hd content, wow so many hd channels. but again the pq is horrendous, pixelating and no picture on most channels, i am sure it is an installer/dish issue as for 2 days the pic was tremendous and all of the sudden low signal, but again i was ok with that until i called VOOM. 10 Days to take care of this issue. Is 10 days acceptable to any of you? My Voom is totally unwatchable and i have given Voom till end of Monday to fix this issue or i am again cancelling. CSR on phone do seem more knowledgable, installs inc actually showed up the first time and i am being sent a paper bill since last billing issues SO NOW IF I COULD JUST SEE WHAT VOOM HAS TO OFFER. My first experience with voom was even worse, couldnt even get a pic and installer left equiptment and 17 daywait for another installer to finish, but only 3 days to pick up equiptment after cancelling<<<i hope they have improved on these issues. Well im waiting till Monday to see what Voom does but i have 3 very nice lighted paperweights for now<<<damn i wish they had a clock LOL

steve:
What sat signal quality are you getting? When the installer come back make sure that he doesn't leave without leaving you with a good signal quality of 90+.

i am below 70, was in the 90's but again i am sure it is a dish/installer alignnment issue not tightening the dish correctly ,but i cant climb as of now till feb or march, (torn ACL) and Voom should be better tahn 10 days to respond to a total blackout issue

Steve:
Just 3 suggestions:
1) Call installation company directly to confirm installer appointment
2) Explain to him what the problem is (signal ~70)
3) After the issue is fixed, call VOOM to get a pro-rated discount for the days you're out-of-service.

Walt i thank you for responding and trying to help. They are the very same steps i have taken and will take when the time comes. But the bigger issue is a ten day wait for a service call
I totally understand how to call and get the issue resolved but the bigger issue as i stated is a 10 day service call wait. thats a lot longer than directv has ever taken. come on VOOM please i want to keep your service but you have to work for me to do this.
but again walt thanks for the help
Do any of you find 10 days acceptable to wait for a service call ?, I have no Voom at all,

10 day service call wait...

stevesmall said:
Walt i thank you for responding and trying to help. They are the very same steps i have taken and will take when the time comes. But the bigger issue is a ten day wait for a service call
I totally understand how to call and get the issue resolved but the bigger issue as i stated is a 10 day service call wait. thats a lot longer than directv has ever taken. come on VOOM please i want to keep your service but you have to work for me to do this.
but again walt thanks for the help
Do any of you find 10 days acceptable to wait for a service call ?, I have no Voom at all,
It would be acceptable for me. I love my Voom HDTV.

unacceptable to you

stevesmall said:
YOU ARE NOT hearing what i am saying, I CANT WATCH ANYTHING ON VOOM
NOT ACCEPTABLE
I hear you, I understand whats unacceptable to you. To me it would be unbearable, but what choice would I have. I would have to accept 10 days or whatever. Got to have my HDTV and Voom. Better than giving in and going to D* or E*.

voomvoom said:
I hear you, I understand whats unacceptable to you. To me it would be unbearable, but what choice would I have. I would have to accept 10 days or whatever. Got to have my HDTV and Voom. Better than giving in and going to D* or E*.
Unbearable a little dramatic arent we LOL
GIVING IN ? now thats funny, i too want Voom , but better than giving in to DIRECTV you say ?
THE BOTTOM LINE IS MY DIRECTV RECEIVERS ALL WORK< NONE OF MY 3 VOOM
receivers are working . last service call to directv hmm lets see if i remember 2 days and poof fixed the issue, ten days NOT

stevesmall said:
Unbearable a little dramatic arent we LOL
This from the guy that posted this...?
stevesmall said:
But the bigger issue is a ten day wait for a service call

now THAT'S funny! :D Enjoy your Direct.

stevesmall said:

It's the norm actually especially if the install company is busy. Doesn't help you I realize......so help yourself instead. You mentioned a torn ACL so you certainly aren't capable, but how about a friend, relative, brother or anybody for that matter. Gasp! Maybe even a local company that installs Sat at your cost...thats right, your cost.

You can whine and moan till your blue in the face, but either wait the ten days or take matters into your own hands.

Sound a little harsh? Maybe...but it's the reality of your situation.

I'm brand new to the amazing world of HD and just this week had a Sony 42" XBR950 installed on the den wall and a 22" Samsung LCD added to the bedroom and VA VA VOOM package installed...I've been lurking here for weeks, as I sought everyone's impressions of VOOM, and despite the problems I've read about, decided to give VOOM a try on the monthly subscriber basis...

My install went well once the den's unit was finally able to be activated after several tries-the bedroom unit was no problem at all...my installer was available for set up within two days of signing up with VOOM...he was my age (50), so we had a great conversation about the early days of TV we knew as kids and I told him that the dream I'd had ever since the Jetsons was first shown, of having a flat panel TV on the wall had finally come true-hence my screen name, GJetson! :D

I have a signal strength of 96 and the pq is excellent! My locals come and go, but I'm not much for network TV anyway...
I've been missing quite a bit from my nightly 'second home' hunting forum this week as I've been emersed in the incredible eye-candy of 'Equator', DiscoveryHD, 'Gallery', and the concerts on RAVE...all excellent programing! I love VOOM so far and hope I don't encounter those infamous billing problems...I did have a lock-up while changing channels the first night but rebooted and so far it hasn't reoccured...

Once the install was finished, I was treated to a great first night intro to HD, 'The History of Yellowstone'...truly stunning visuals of a park I've enjoyed in recent years!

The movie 'Missing' looked fantastic last night and the resolution was far superior to the DVD version...
I'm still spellbound by the visuals this first week of VOOM and couldn't be happier with my choice of satellite carriers at this point... @party
I hope VOOM succeeds and now if the OL channel would convert to HD, I'd be an extremely happy camper for sure! :)

I am amazed at all of you here defending Voom, for all of you that have had great experiences with Voom, i am glad for you but to say 10 days is acceptable for a service call. that i just don't get. Directv has never made me wait 10 days, for anything ie. credit on bill, service, whatever . i just want Voom to work. now thats not unreasonable is it. i made a statement about my impressions with Voom and some of you rushed to judge me ? What none of you seem to understand is I WANT VOOM but it does have to work (call me silly) I WANT VOOM and i was getting rid of Directv (i wont now at least in the short term). Voom has allowed Directv to stay in my house , i was already to Embrace my 40<or 39 channels depends On what you read. BUT AGAIN VOOM DOESNT WORK ! I want to be happy about VOOM, I WANT LOTS OF HDTV, (chances are i have adopted HDTV before many of you here).
I have never made anyone wait 10 days for a service call after installing and the A/V system not working correctly, i would be out there immediately if i didn't have one of my techs available. but that is the difference here, i care about my customers. And am organized and knowledgable enough to know that installing an extra customer and letting an existing one wait is bad business. existing customers should come first. in a reasonable order that is, i dont and have never expected Voom to just drop everything and fix my issue but if i have a customer with half install/service and one with no signal/service, i get the one with no service up and working. thats logical. There have been numerous issues with Voom regarding questionable credit card billing/practices but i still signed on to Voom, Major install issues but i still signed on to Voom. As for the people that say pay someone to peak the dish LOL directv was here yesterday to replace a HDTV box and i offered the guy 50 bucks he said he wouldnt want any part of VOOM, but im the unreasonable one here LOL , i tried 3 other companies here in S jersey/phila area and 2 of the 3 wont touch Voom, too many issues im told, (I was paying for it ) the 3rd has been waiting to get paid for 5 months, i dont care about that installer because i think him telling me that is wrong , i dont know the quality of his installs so i dont know the reason for Voom not Paying but after some of the accounting issues i have heard/seen raised here it did leave some more doubt about Voom. AGAIN for those of you that dont understand I WANT VOOM, I WANT MORE HDTV, I WANT VOOM TO SURVIVE, I WANT to BE ABLE TO WATCH EQUATOR< MONSTERS AND ALL OF THE OTHER GREAT HD CHANNELS THEY OFFER. 3 hours of voom since an install on 11/26 is not acceptable, i just want the boxes to work.
If you bought a TV and it didnt work/broke on the first 3 hours out of the box i am
sure you would all be willing to wait for the CC or BB to fix it, yeah right. you would want it replaced immediately as would i. same scenario here, i am buying a product and it doesnt work. AGAIN For those that will still tell me i am wrong. I WANT VOOM, I WANT MORE HDTV. BUT VOOM hasnt given me any reason to expect good customer service/ tech service and we all know of the other issues surrounding voom.
Oh yeah if the rumors are true about installs inc being out of business as i have read here ,. it makes me think voom will have a whole lot more issues in the very near future. And for those that LOVE VOOM i envy you. i want as much HD as you have.

Those installers were not paid for some of their installs because they were bad instals or were not correctly installed. I am not speculating my installer was a local installer (he actually owned the installation company). He was questioning my surge protector because it didn't have coaxial in and out for the cable. He strongly urged me to get one. He said voom sometimes sends out follow up site inspectors to check on installs and if they were incorrect or incomplete he wouldn't get paid. Also a lot of installers have no clue about installing HD equipment so they blame the company. My installer told me my HDMI to DVI cables would not work. He didn't even try. He blamed on the company that made them. He told me they made them to go from HDMi to DVI not DVI to HDMI. That was incorrect. Called company they explained how the worked so I tried them. They work perfectly. So part of their not wanting to touch voom is just lack of knowledge.

I am not standing up for voom. If you read one of my previous posts. I stated I have had similar experiences with other providers. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=237423#post237423

Waiting to have service issues resolved with companies, not just satellite installation is inconvenient. For example had a garage door installed : Door is assembled and put up. Installer realizes part of equipment is missing in the package. I had to wait another week for part to come in. Was I inconvenienced........yes.Unacceptable .....yes. I couldn't get into garage from outside. But it is just not voom. This seems to be the trend in customer service. It is hard to find people, to work in the customer service fields, that take pride in their work and have a good work ethic.

Have I had a few issues with voom......yes. Have I had the same type of issues with other companies.......yes.

jhogue@hrtc.net said:
For example had a garage door installed : Door is assembled and put up. Installer realizes part of equipment is missing in the package. I had to wait another week for part to come in. Was I inconvenienced........yes.Unacceptable .....yes. I couldn't get into garage from outside. But it is just not voom.

Everyone realizes VOOM isn't the only with company with customer service problems, but the last last time I checked this forum was a VOOM forum, therefore a post about VOOM is appropriate but a post about garage doors is not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)