VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's the big question. I know its a long shot but what ''if'' dish fixes
there tatered relationship with voom. All of a sudden Voom is back!

Do you stay with direc or come back to dish???

I'm gone for 2 years, even if VOOM comes back. I waited a full month after VOOM was dropped to see if there was any movement. Almost everyone, including Scott, is saying that VOOM is gone and is not coming back. The lawsuit won't be resolved for at least a year.

The D* deal I took was expiring and with the VOOM prospects looking extremely dim, I decided it was time to go.

I just boxed up the 622 and my LNBs this morning and shipped them back to E*. Dismantled my dishes over the weekend. I self-installed the dishes, setting up a single D300 pointing at 119 back in 1997. Dug a hole, mixed the concrete, installed the steel mounting pipe, and trenched my cables to the house. Upgraded to a D500, then re-installed the original D300 to hit 61.5 a couple of years ago, upgrading the LNBs to DishPro gear. From beginning to the end, no one else ever fooled with my dishes, switches, LNBs, or receivers.

Now my D* dish is on the roof, installed by a D* tech. I didn't want to mess with a roof install and 5-LNB array. He did an excellent job on the install.

The more people whom hate Voom being taken away that cancel dish the more they will feel the pain! Voom users are at the high end of the monthly payments so we are often equal to 3 to 4 regular users as we often pay over $120 + a month. Right now American Express is giving $50 if you join Directv by end of July; that along with their great promo deals will likely anyone to save regardless of how much time is left on your contract. I canceled prior to my contract and saved $788 year one then $216 year two. The service was installed yesterday and it was a much cleaner install and so far I am very happy with the service and am going to write a written letter to voice why I canceled in addition to what I did over the phone :mad:

Look, I understand you being upset about losing Voom.

And everybody needs to do what they feel is best for them whether that is going to Direct or staying with Dish.

But you seem to have this "royal" attitude that you were better than the majority of Dish customers just because you paid way more than the average.

Once again, a simple math fact for you: Dish makes way more money off their $50/months customers than they make off their $100+/month customers.

Last edited:
I'm going to be saving with D*, but I have only 2 DVRs and 2 TVs. The deal I got was:

$23 discount per month X 12 months = $276
$10/mon via AAA promotion X 24 months = $240
$10/mon for Referral X 5 months = $50
$35/mon Free HBO/Starz/Cin X 3 = $105
$12/mon Free Showtime X 12 = $144

Paid $99 for the HD DVR, the SD DVR was free. Free install for the whole package. Only pay one DVR fee, so that saves $5/mon. Then there is a $300 coupon book that is supposed to come in the mail, offering discounts on things like MLB:EI. That may or may not do anything for me.

All told, I'll be saving several hundred dollars on D* vs staying with E* over the next two years.

Unless everyone subscribes to HBO, Starz, Cinemax and Showtime, I don't think that should be counted as a savings, as it wouldn't save me anything. So knock $249 off that savings calc. Plus, all I was ever offered was a $99 equipment rebate, which only covers the SD DVR, so it $198 start up. Add that to the increased monthy cost for me, and Directv is more expensive even with the rebates, offering me only a few extra HD channels versus what I have now with DishHD Absolute (yes, plus some SD's, but if I watched those all the time, I woudn't have gone absolute). Add that the the crappy DVR, and the fact that I have to record everything twice to be able to watch the same fhing from both TVs, and Directv isn't the way to go for me, as I suspect is the case with many.

and the fact that I have to record everything twice to be able to watch the same fhing from both TVs

Actually, DirecTV is working on that, connecting all DVRs in one home/account to be accessed on all TVs.

Doesn't matter though, as you pointed out, every customer has different needs.

The technology between the two are different enough today that they call to different customers. I love my 622 w/ PocketDish, but I wouldn't mind switching to a DirecTV DVR and Iphone (cell provider switch too).

The fact that the E* verses D* debate surfaces here in the Voom thread is because many people chose E* because of one very special feature only found on E* - VOOM.

Those of us missing Voom no longer are committed to Dish and are looking at switching.

Some of us want to switch, some do not. Both are OK.

Actually, DirecTV is working on that, connecting all DVRs in one home/account to be accessed on all TVs.

Doesn't matter though, as you pointed out, every customer has different needs.

The technology between the two are different enough today that they call to different customers. I love my 622 w/ PocketDish, but I wouldn't mind switching to a DirecTV DVR and Iphone (cell provider switch too).

The fact that the E* verses D* debate surfaces here in the Voom thread is because many people chose E* because of one very special feature only found on E* - VOOM.

Those of us missing Voom no longer are committed to Dish and are looking at switching.

Some of us want to switch, some do not. Both are OK.

To me, at this point, its a flip of the coin. Choose your poison. Both providers are really the same now.

Yes, dish dvr is better but direcs HD content is more. Jumping from one to the other is well a moot point.

They are, unfortunately ,the same...Ho Hum...

It is sort of sad if that really is the only model to pursue at this time. It si too bad that this whole thing could not have a different ending. I know that some of you think that si an attack on VOOM but it is really just looking at the whole thing realistically.

Geronimo, you just keep our heads screwed on tight!

You're hardly attacking Voom, just keeping the scales of justice balanced.

To me, at this point, its a flip of the coin. Choose your poison. Both providers are really the same now.

Yes, dish dvr is better but direcs HD content is more. Jumping from one to the other is well a moot point.

Well...

One company seems to be in a position to deliver tons of HD now and in the future and one company has a lot of HD catching-up (after mutilating its once awesome HD line-up) and big massive lawsuits to clear.

Content may be the same, but the companies are not even close right now.

I liked VOOM & my 622 enough that I was staying with E* despite D* offering several advantages (to me).

- With the deal as describe above, D* is going to cost me around $600-$700 less than E* over the next two years.
- D* offers more HD movie channels (biggie for me).
- D* offers more baseball.
- D* HD picture quality is a little better.

After E* subtracted VOOM, all I was left with on the E* side was a better DVR.

Plus I believe D* is going to stay ahead of E* on both HD PQ and HD total channels, due to their bandwidth advantage over the next year or so.

Look, I understand you being upset about losing Voom.

And everybody needs to do what they feel is best for them whether that is going to Direct or staying with Dish.

But you seem to have this "royal" attitude that you were better than the majority of Dish customers just because you paid way more than the average.

Once again, a simple math fact for you: Dish makes way more money off their $50/months customers than they make off their $100+/month customers.

Please do explain your "simple math".

Please do explain your "simple math".

Sometimes a lot of a little is more than a little of a lot.

And that applies to Dish (and likely still applies to Direct) in the number of standard def accounts vs. HD accounts.

Most people still can't afford to buy an HD tv and thus end up subscribing just to Standard Def.

The volume of people with Standard Def. is still much greater than people with HD, thus more money is made accumlative off of Standard Def. accounts.

Now, you would think that HD in time would catch-up and pass Standard Def., but with our economy so screwed-up, who really knows.

I don't blame anyone for being upset about VOOM being yanked the way it was. If bolting to Direct makes them feel better, then more power to them. To each his own.

My issue with the one poster was that he felt he should be treated like "royalty" compare to the "lowly subscribers" who pay less than him each month.

Dish should be striving to please all of us, not just the elite (in terms of monthly payment).

Last edited:
Well...

One company seems to be in a position to deliver tons of HD now and in the future and one company has a lot of HD catching-up (after mutilating its once awesome HD line-up) and big massive lawsuits to clear.

Content may be the same, but the companies are not even close right now.

Very true. I guess my issue deals with the quality of these new hd channels and channels to come. I never watch most of them. Hallmark, Bravo, SciFI, TBS... just doesn't have any appeal to me. I liked the Voom channels because they were commercial free and you would get a few movies never shown in HD before. I don't have any drive to watch a cut up movie with commercials. MGM has been a real disappointment thus far. HDnetM still does a great job. Even if E* added 20 more hd channels tomorrow I wouldn't be excited because it would be more of the same. Voom was different and special and they did HD the way it should be done.

But it all comes down to what you are looking for. For me, both providers are far from the same. There is 1 channel that I absolutely HAVE to have, and it costs me $25/month less to get that channel from E* than from D*. When I look at that, the providers are not the same.

But it all comes down to what you are looking for. For me, both providers are far from the same. There is 1 channel that I absolutely HAVE to have, and it costs me $25/month less to get that channel from E* than from D*. When I look at that, the providers are not the same.

Im curious, whats that one channel???

Im a HD enthusiast. So, looking at both systems, which I have both,
they are''almost'' identical now.

Granted, Direc kills dish when it comes to HD sports and their sports packages.
Other than that I really dont see a major difference.

Voom, to me, set dish appart. Voom put dish on their own playing field.
Not only are they average (dish) they have put themsleves further behind direc
in HD offerings.

Again, I loved dish with Voom. Without them their only saving grace is their dvr..

Is that enough for me to renew?? Im still debating that point.
Im out of contract and In no hurry to sign on the dotted line.

Im still seething over the Voom Massacre. Not sure I will get over the bad feelings i have toward dish.

Yes, dish might not be 100% at fault in all this. However. I pay them and in turn they pulled vauluable programming from me.

I hold dih responsible for that not voom.

Im curious, whats that one channel???

Im a HD enthusiast. So, looking at both systems, which I have both,
they are''almost'' identical now.

Granted, Direc kills dish when it comes to HD sports and their sports packages.
Other than that I really dont see a major difference.

The funny thing is, is that it's a sports channel that makes the difference. Fox Soccer Channel (and GolTV for that matter). To get these through D* I have to get the Premier Package, $104.99/month. I get these through E* with AT250 for $54.99/month. Base package alone it's a $50.00 difference, but add in my receivers, HD package, and taxes and it becomes a $25.00 difference.

The funny thing is, is that it's a sports channel that makes the difference. Fox Soccer Channel (and GolTV for that matter). To get these through D* I have to get the Premier Package, $104.99/month. I get these through E* with AT250 for $54.99/month. Base package alone it's a $50.00 difference, but add in my receivers, HD package, and taxes and it becomes a $25.00 difference.

Actually, I think I got FSC and GolTV with part of a sports package that wasn't very much back when I had Direct. (I only got it for those two channels.) However, I could be wrong, or the options could have changed.

I have to put up my two cents worth: Dish has more fox sports regionals than Direct; if you are a fan of college football (and don't care much for overpaid, coddled and spoiled players in the nfl) then dish is superior.

I have to put up my two cents worth: Dish has more fox sports regionals than Direct; if you are a fan of college football (and don't care much for overpaid, coddled and spoiled players in the nfl) then dish is superior.

Or don't care for sports much at all.

I used to be a huge fan of sports, had to have Sunday Ticket, Center Ice and every package available. Now who needs it. That's what makes Dish Superior for me, Voom was nice, and I was wowed by the PQ on the first night of having Dish, but the constant repeats were a dealbreaker. I don't miss it. Especially since there are so many similar channels that over superior programming (Smithsonian is one of many).

If I had one request of Dish it would be to see ALL the Discovery Networks in HD.

At first, I wasn't terribly bummed with the loss of VOOM, as I figured we would get a lot more "HD." Boy was I disappointed. So much of this stuff doesn't even come close to HD. You hear this word a lot, but it's 100% accurate in this case:UNWATCHABLE.

To add insult to injury, stuff on Food Network HD that used to look great now SUCKS, every since they began mirroring the programming. I've seen shows that were originally broadcast "correctly" in HD now stretched and displaying a wavy undulation that can actually make you queasy.

I know the 2nd is a bit OT, but it does serve to point out that there is even less HD than we had before. Certainly nothing to equal Monsters and/or Rave.

Last edited:
Here's the big question. I know its a long shot but what ''if'' dish fixes
there tatered relationship with voom. All of a sudden Voom is back!

Do you stay with direc or come back to dish???

Thats a good question, I'd probably go back as Voom HD as everyone in our house misses Voom HD a lot!

I would have to say that having just switched, I have found the Directv to be far better of a company. They were much more educated, helpful, organized over the phone, they provided real humans to follow up through the install process and calling to make sure all went smooth, the installation was much cleaner with wiring nicely wire tied and run neatly (they even got rid of old cable and wires that were not needed on the roof to make the roof wiring clean), and the clarity is slightly better. I've used both DVR's and they are not that different to me?

To clear things up as other posted savings and others said they would not; for me I have just one TV, which is a 7 foot front projection HD so I only need one HD DVR, had all the normal channels with full HD package, locals, hbo, cinemax, stars, etc. and was paying $127 or $1524 per year with dish networks. We just switched and Directv is charging us $736 for the first year then $1308 for year two. So maybe if you need a lot of recievers it might not save you? but I can say for us with just one DH DVR the savings are enough for me to get the next generation Panasonic blu ray player! I still thnk dish is a company I do not trust and am not been that happy with their customer service.

The key thing for us was Voom HD. Right now on specs their content is close with Directv having an advantage on # of channels in HD. Comparing the two I like Directv better so far but whomever has Voom HD we'd probably switch.

At first, I wasn't terribly bummed with the loss of VOOM, as I figured we would get a lot more "HD." Boy was I disappointed. So much of this stuff doesn't even come close to HD. You hear this word a lot, but it's 100% accurate in this case:UNWATCHABLE.

To add insult to injury, stuff on Food Network HD that used to look great now SUCKS, every since they began mirroring the programming. I've seen shows that were originally broadcast "correctly" in HD now stretched and displaying a wavy undulation that can actually make you queasy.

I know the 2nd is a bit OT, but it does serve to point out that there is even less HD than we had before. Certainly nothing to equal Monsters and/or Rave.

I agree. These new channels for the most part are lame.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts