VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
Read the document that they filed. It indicates that E* orchestrated this whole thing of repeats and no new content for 6 months. As a sub that pays my monthly bill, I am angry that E* has to go that low and make us the subs to suffer for six months and in the meantime pay the bill.

What section are you referring to? I didn't see anything like that, though I just skimmed it .

EDIT- AHHH...I see...section 73. It doesn't make any sense though. Dish was complaining they weren't spending enough on programming, so they forced them to spend less?

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
articles 72, 73, 74...

You do realize Sean that hose sections and everything else in thsi docuemnt were written by VOOM and present the facts in a n entirely different manner than Echostar has or the NY Supreme Court justice did in his ruling. You seem to be buying the VOOM arguments whole. I would not trust either party to give you the straight story.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
You do realize Sean that hose sections and everything else in thsi docuemnt were written by VOOM and present the facts in a n entirely different manner than Echostar has or the NY Supreme Court justice did in his ruling. You seem to be buying the VOOM arguments whole. I would not trust either party to give you the straight story.

Geronimo, I have expressed my opinion about how I feel what the document is reporting. I have also said in another location that I would like to read E* response to these allegations as well. In the meantime, there is no response from E* and this is what we have until E* starts singing.

By the same token, there were some here in this forum that posted that it was V* who had said no to the 5 channels remaining. I accepted that as a fact because V* never responded to that but now that V* has stated, in the same document, that it was E* that did it without their consent, I can only go with the document provided by V*.

I still feel the same way because it was money that I paid out for service that I was not given and could have gotten it. Until E* comes out saying no to do this, I will believe this document.

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
Man, this VOOM thing is infecting other forums as well. Check out Cablevision forum:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevision-cable-forum/136545-voom-gone.html
Kinda unrelated. Cablevision is moving many of their channels to switched Video. Switched Video does not work with cable cards. Cablevision is giving customers a set top box free for a year, hoping that it will take less than a year for cable cards to work with switched video (Tivo has same issue).

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Voom was a Great Idea. Why can't we just all agree the repeats were excessive. You all can't believe Voom was great the way it was. I know in the back of "even the most Diehard Voom Fans"head that Voom could use some programming work. Thats all Voom had to do,add more programming.

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2005
This whole thing is fishy. There's so much detail on everything DISH did wrong (and I do believe they did do some things wrong), but then it skates over the whole issue of the programming and blames it on DISH in a way that makes no sense.

OK, here's a theory. The numbers are hypothetical, but the idea could be applied regardless. (And I have studied programming in college, though it was long ago. I still have a texbook that explains this stuff...)

Let's say this "Section 4" says a film can be shown multiple times in a 48 hour period (to allow for weekend marathons, like Monsters often did), but then cannot be repeated again for at least 10 days. Films are licensed for a window of time -let's say 60 days- not for a number of plays.

If they showed 6 movies rotated for a 48 hour period, they would need to have 30 movies available during that 10 day period. That doesn't mean 30 different movies every 10 days. They could run the same 30 movies the following 10 days. But the way it's set up, windows are always opening and closing. So one movie may get retired for a short time, and another one comes back at the same time.

So, say Monsters starts licensing fewer movies. They only have 15 movies available in any 10 day period. They switch to rotating 5 movies over a 48 hour period. On a daily basis, viewers wouldn't notice much of a change. They see 5 different movies each day. True, they come back more often, but there's still variety every day.

At that rate, movies would repeat every 6 days. Dish says "You can't repeat them for 10 days". Voom doesn't have enough movies to do it that way. So they have to cut back on how many movies they show in a 48 hour period.

The other half of it was how they had switched to older movies. So that's another point...or perhaps both are true. DISH forced them to buy more movies to meet the commitment, so they switched to cheaper movies.

But there's no way DISH forced them to buy cheaper/fewer movies. DISH tried to enforce the rules on repeats, and Voom got around it by showing fewer and cheaper films each day.

Scott, just say the code word if this is what you heard in that meeting. ;)

tomcrown1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 20, 2008
San Francisco
This whole thing is fishy. There's so much detail on everything DISH did wrong (and I do believe they did do some things wrong), but then it skates over the whole issue of the programming and blames it on DISH in a way that makes no sense.

OK, here's a theory. The numbers are hypothetical, but the idea could be applied regardless. (And I have studied programming in college, though it was long ago. I still have a texbook that explains this stuff...)

Let's say this "Section 4" says a film can be shown multiple times in a 48 hour period (to allow for weekend marathons, like Monsters often did), but then cannot be repeated again for at least 10 days. Films are licensed for a window of time -let's say 60 days- not for a number of plays.

If they showed 6 movies rotated for a 48 hour period, they would need to have 30 movies available during that 10 day period. That doesn't mean 30 different movies every 10 days. They could run the same 30 movies the following 10 days. But the way it's set up, windows are always opening and closing. So one movie may get retired for a short time, and another one comes back at the same time.

So, say Monsters starts licensing fewer movies. They only have 15 movies available in any 10 day period. They switch to rotating 5 movies over a 48 hour period. On a daily basis, viewers wouldn't notice much of a change. They see 5 different movies each day. True, they come back more often, but there's still variety every day.

At that rate, movies would repeat every 6 days. Dish says "You can't repeat them for 10 days". Voom doesn't have enough movies to do it that way. So they have to cut back on how many movies they show in a 48 hour period.

The other half of it was how they had switched to older movies. So that's another point...or perhaps both are true. DISH forced them to buy more movies to meet the commitment, so they switched to cheaper movies.

But there's no way DISH forced them to buy cheaper/fewer movies. DISH tried to enforce the rules on repeats, and Voom got around it by showing fewer and cheaper films each day.

DING DING DING You got it.

davelip75

May 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
New HD Channels to replace Voom?

page1fv4.jpg

nsps

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 10, 2008

Makes sense to me.

bubba04

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 20, 2003
Ever since we lost VOOM, I've been wondering just what it is I am going to do. I feel that TV in HD is becoming irrelevant. I mean really, satellite and cable providers are compressing the heck out of these channels, and now 15 of these HDlite things are gone. Am I to complain? Is the game really to get me to beg to have these HDlite channels back, thereby getting me to accept inferior picture quality? I do miss VOOM, but had these channels been delivered to me in superior HD quality, I would be screaming bloody murder right now!! As it is now, I am watching very little TV in "HD", and I look to my HD DVD and BluRay collection to deliver on the promise of what High Definition video and sound is supposed to be. HD TV is just not important to me anymore. Now that's what I call irrelevant.
Bubba04

Last edited:

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Ever since we lost VOOM, I've been wondering just what it is I am going to do. I feel that TV in HD is becoming irrelevant. I mean really, satellite and cable providers are compressing the heck out of these channels, and now 15 of these HDlite things are gone. Am I to complain? Is the game really to get me to beg to have these HDlite channels back, thereby getting me to accept inferior picture quality? I do miss VOOM, but had these channels been delivered to me in superior HD quality, I would be screaming bloody murder right now!! As it is now, I am watching very little TV in "HD", and I look to my HD DVD and BluRay collection to deliver on the promise of what High Definition video and sound is supposed to be. HD TV is just not important to me anymore. Now that's what I call irrelevant.
Bubba04

Very sad statement. But I feel your pain. Dish seems, in my opinnion, to have gone in reverse.

HD seems not to be a priority to dish network. They say they are the leader in HD..How false a statement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)