Voom HD reception ?????

herdfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 22, 2004
Cottonwood, AZ
I am currently an E* HD sub. That is all I have from E* as my main TV programming comes from D*. I got the E* HD pak so I could get TNT-HD for the NASCAR races.

I am using an 811 with an old DISH 500 and only running the 110 LNB with no multiswitch. Now that TNT has no more NASCAR races this season, and I don't really like pro hoops, I have no reason for keeping TNT-HD. But I would like to try the Voom channels.

So my question is can I just point my 500 at 61.5 and get the Voom channels or do I need to keep a dish pointed at 110 for guide data etc?

If I need a multiswitch, which one?

For a dish for 61.5, can I use an old D* oval with a 101 LNB, or does 61.5 require a special LNB? Or possibly a different dish?

Thanks.

If your Dish 500 Lnbs are legecy you could use an SW21 switch and add the D* dish at 61.5 run it through port 2 of the SW21 Get a Short run of RG6 and run from your Dish 500 to port 1 of the SW21...then hook up the line to your receiver to the output of the SW21(assuming you only have one line coming from your Dish 500 now)Or you could try for 119/129 with your Dish 500...

I believe to get Voom you must still subscribe to HDPak. This means you need another dish and SW21 switch (assuming legacy LNB). If all your spare equipment is legacy series then it sounds like your all set so just get the switch and use your oblong dish and LNB.

I can tell you that when I hook my 942 to 129 only for testing purposes, it locks up and reboots.

I realize this is not what you asked, but it may give you a clue that a signal at 119 is a requirement to get 129 properly. That may not be true for 61.5 though.

There is SUPPOSED to be 2 day guide data on every sat location. You need 110 for the 9 day, though.

So I need one of these: http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=82

I know I need to keep the HD pak, I just didn't know if I had to keep a receiver with access to 110. Looks like I will get one of these and add my old D* dish.

Does the 811 have the software to be able to see 61.5 or do I need to do something to it first?

Thanks. Sorry if these are noob Q's, but I know alot about how D* works, but very little about E*. :eek:

Thanks for the replies. :)

Is there a website I can go to an get the rough pointing coordinates for my zip code? I need to check line of sight before I try to get everything set up.

My zip is 25526.

Thanks.

Uh

Couldn't resist... You take your HD tv, two dishes and receiver 'camping'? Really roughing it eh?