Voom HD vs Dish HD

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Have had Voom for 5-hours now. I can compare (A/B) them both with a click of a switch. If a stellar HD pic is, let's say, a 10, Dish HD on my system is a 9. Voom HD is around a 5.

My signal strength is between 45-47. I'm in Cali, so I wonder if trying to get a decent signal from a 61 degree sat is the problem. The tech guy was here for 4-hours.

I started the A/B with the Sopranos. Tony was eating dinner with a guy who had a white/beige herringbone sweater on. On Dish HD the herringbone was vivid and very clear. On Voom it was alot less defined and soft.

Anyone else have a chance to do this "layman's" test?

Also when I click on "all HD" it just stays on the message that says "this will take several minutes" forever.

What do you all think?

BB

Is your A/B test on the same display?
Are you using the same type of connectors? (DVI? Component?)
Are you using a CRT based display or fixed display?
What is the output mode set at? (1080i? 720p? 480p? 480i?)
Was the Dish input on your display ISF calibrated?

One More Thing.....

DVI is hooked up but as reported elsewhere, it doesn't function yet. So, it's connected via componet.

1) Are you sure you've got it set to the right output resolution? press that little button behind the door to change it.

2) DVI or Component?

For 1080i on HBO, press the red button behind the door on the right until you see one bar lit. Then compare again. You may be in 480p or 720p mode.

To Mad

madpoet said:
1) Are you sure you've got it set to the right output resolution? press that little button behind the door to change it.

2) DVI or Component?

isn't that little red button a reset button?

No

Boondockbill said:
isn't that little red button a reset button?

No, the little red button is used just to switch the resolution of the recievers output.

Bill

Res is at 1080

What setting should narrow to wide and wide to narrow be at?

The diff in the pics looks as dramatic as, years ago, C-Band looked to Dish SD. The first generation looked way better, didn't it?

Watched the Japan car show. Dish HD had every strand of the man's hair completely defined and very good. The Voom was softer, couldn't tell each strand.

Oh well. Really want Voom to wow me.

I got Voom installed on 10 March, the HD channels at times do look softer compared to Time Warner Cable's HD channels. The SD channels look soft also compared to Direct TV.

If you just had you Voom installed give the Motorola Time to down load the program guide etc.

Ken F said:
For 1080i on HBO, press the red button behind the door on the right until you see one bar lit. Then compare again. You may be in 480p or 720p mode.

on my receiver, 4-bars is the 1080 mode

dledeaux said:
When all 4 bars are lit it means the receiver is in auto mode where it will tune to the resolution of the broadcast.

did, thanks. it's nowhere in the manual.

OH, it's getting better! DVI is kicking in on 100. Yeah......that's more like it.

Auto mode and DVI. So far, that's the ticket.

JaydeeD said:
Just to clarify, for most people. You want the top bar and only the top bar lit
IMO, if you have a CRT based display you will most likely want the top bar lit (1080i)
If you have a DLP/LCD/Plasma display that is running native at 720p, you will most likely want the second to top bar lit (720p).

That is why I asked earlier what type of display you had. The more information you can give when describing a problem, the more faster and accurate the help will be.

I also have Dish and VOOM (and Adelphia cable) with in-set component switching on 55" Mits...
Nobody beats Dish on compression - they have the best HD. HDNet always has a stunning picture. Adelphia is pretty good. VOOM is also pretty good. I think they were a little better until all the new recent additions went on the satellite. So the quality has gone down a little. If VOOM makes it and gets MPEG4 going and/or more satellite space, I'm sure it will get back to the 9 is was. Also, it just seems to vary a little over time and channels. Plus, don't forget the "transfer" makes a difference. The Music Man on HDNet was one of the crispest/best images I've ever seen on HD, period. The Music Man on VOOM was just average.
Mind you, I'm close to pulling the plug on Dish, for Adelphia can get me the locals in HD (I can't get OTA...mts.), and VOOM has the rest with a huge playland of HD.

I have the latest Sony Wega 50' LCD with a 720P native resolution. I keep my Voom resolution setting at automatic as per Voom's general recommendation. Is this thread recommending I fix the resolution at 720 all the time, no matter what resolution program I am watching?

bestspartan said:
I have the latest Sony Wega 50' LCD with a 720P native resolution. I keep my Voom resolution setting at automatic as per Voom's general recommendation. Is this thread recommending I fix the resolution at 720 all the time, no matter what resolution program I am watching?
I have the Panasonic 50" LCD with a 720p native resolution.

The benifits I found with setting the resolution to fixed 720p are:

1. I liked the picture quality the best at this setting.
2. Channel changes are fast.
3. Receiver is more stable (this is relative though, it still locks up at least once a day).

Note, one of the "many" bugs in the current receiver is that 720p over DVI will most likely not work. It does work with component.

I got Voom all dialed in and it's really great. FINALLY, no diff between it and DISH HD.

I have Voom for HD, SD, and locals
I have DISH for HD and east networks
I have C-Band for MTV E&W and backhauls.

Lif is getting sweet again :)

Boondockbill said:
I got Voom all dialed in and it's really great. FINALLY, no diff between it and DISH HD.

I have Voom for HD, SD, and locals
I have DISH for HD and east networks
I have C-Band for MTV E&W and backhauls.

Lif is getting sweet again :)
Boondockbill,

When you started this thread, you were having huge quality differences between Dish and Voom. To help others who might run into the same problem, could you explain what you had to change in order to make the Voom look just as good as Dish HD?

Gr8Reb8 said:
Boondockbill,

When you started this thread, you were having huge quality differences between Dish and Voom. To help others who might run into the same problem, could you explain what you had to change in order to make the Voom look just as good as Dish HD?

Main problem was the setup by the Voom tech install. He didn't connect the DVI right, the receiver resolution, and he didn't do a deep cycle, when problems arose. Except for the Voom remote trying to control my C-Band GI650i, I fixed all the problems myself. It just goes to show you, do not "post" until you doublecheck the install tech.

I'm still A/B'ing both pix - they both seem to be very close now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)