John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
New satellite service promises more choices for HDTV owners

12/04/03
This is the dilemma of high-definition television: People will buy HDTV sets when there is enough programming, and networks will provide HDTV programming when enough people have bought HDTV sets.

The people at Voom, a direct-broadcast satellite service, are betting they have the solution to the dilemma: 39 HDTV channels, 21 of them unique to the company, which began limited service in October.

Hardware for the service costs $749; programming charges begin at $39.90 a month. Subscribers will not be charged for a subscription until an introductory period ends on Jan. 31, when those 39 HDTV channels will be operating fully.

http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/living/1070534229132500.xml

I thought they extended the free preview period. They need to get hardware prices down. You can probably get a 921 for about the same cost or a little more if you are a new subscriber to Dish Network getting the system discount on Free Dish with free installation and a second receiver included.

Stargazer said:
I thought they extended the free preview period. They need to get hardware prices down. You can probably get a 921 for about the same cost or a little more if you are a new subscriber to Dish Network getting the system discount on Free Dish with free installation and a second receiver included.

and have almost no HD......forget that, I will go with Voom

What he said.

JaydeeD said:
Stargazer said:

and have almost no HD......forget that, I will go with Voom

It is going to take time and this is the early stages of a boom. When prices drop you will see more of a boom. This will lead to more content which will lead to more customers. Someone has to start it somewhere and spark it to get it going quicker.