Voom in Alabama

RickyMac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Phenix City, AL
My install was 3-13-04. Things have been getting better as time goes on. My family and friends love the HD movies (it's hard for me to leave Monsters HD).

I do get some OTA digital channels and they are very clear. I have never received data for the guide regarding my locals, but all the stations are listed correctly.

I was scheduled for a April 5 install of a larger OTA antenna. Joe Harkins, Installs, called and asked if that date was OK. I told him that I would like an earlier date and he told me that he would see what he could do.

Talk about good customer service...today someone called and gave me a March 22 date for the antenna install.

I have heard some of you complain about many different things regarding Voom, but I am sure everything will work out just fine. As I said, it seems to get better each day.

I look forward to the day that I can post that Voom is 100% up and running in Phenix City, AL.

Everyone Have A VOOMING Day!

Nice to hear everything went well and you like the service.

Don't worry about the complaining, it's a double edged sword at times. No one likes to hear it after awhile, but on the same token the complainers actually light the fire to get things done...that of course depends if it's funneled in the right direction.

Bill

Does anyone know who will do the installation for Voom in northeast Alabama? I signed up for Voom today but I don't know of anyone in this area that has it to ask who does the installs. I would like to call and talk to the installers to comfirm my install date. Thanks for any help.

Installs will inform you.

I live in Phenix City, AL. I was installed March 13th. Emerald Coast Communications in Gulf Breeze, FL was assigned by Installs to do my install. They contacted a local installer Robert Newman to do my install (this was his 2nd Voom install).

Installs sent me an e-mail two days after I signed up with the name of my install company and their phone number.

The Stealth antenna did not pick up my OTA channels so I requested an antenna upgrade. Installs contacted a company H&S Service, Columbus, GA, to do the antenna install.

Hopefully you will get an e-mail with the information that you need.

Good Luck

Undecided

I'm located in Birmingham. Will be retiring Cable soon. Could any of you Alabama Voomers give a quick breakdown of how pleased you are with your Voom service... and whether or not I should choose Voom with DVR (when it's released) OR DirecTV with Tivo?
Thanks

I'm in Marshall Co. and my installer came all the way from Athens.
If you're really into HD content and not that worried about getting your locals then Voom is the way to go. Hope they get the locals bug fixed soon but not holding my breath.

What bugs are you talking about with the locals? I am about 15 min outside of Huntsville (New Market area) ... I am curious how well my reception is really going to be.... How do things look there in Marshall County?

Looks good, 19-1, 25-1, 31-1, 36-1, 48-1, 48-2, 54-1, 54-2 all come in good. For some reason I don't get 19-2, haven't figured that one out yet. I did get it one day, on 48-2 and 54-2 LOL. Voom dictates which locals they want you to have. By that I mean, where I live I can get (use to get) B'ham stations, but with Voom they say no, you can only have H'ville, go figure. Their STB is junk but worth giving them a try. I did get two months free because of the install delays but if some things don't change by then it's back to Dtv.

Who to contact re: subscribing to voom

I'm in Mobile county. Who sells voom and does installs in my area?

Thanks, RickO

I'm in the Mobile area and just got installed on 12-11-04. I am very pleased with everything. The install was scheduled for Wed. the 15th but he called on the 11th and wanted to know if was ok to install a few days early. The install went great with a Stealth Winegard that mounts to the dish and I get all my locals and some from Biloxi, Miss. The STB kept locking up on me but the software update fixed all that and more. I have had zero problems with Voom and I will be dropping Mediacom's HD service. This cable company's HD is a joke and it's always pixelating in and out. I made a call to CS asking about codes for the remote to work on a receiver but they had none, I know I was taking a shot at that. I'll be Vooming for a long time to come.

Welcome to the forum, joverstr2! Congratulations on your successful install! Enjoy VOOM!

As for the remote, I don't think it can support receivers. You can always buy a third party remote, if this becomes an issue. Personally, I am using Harmony H688. Pretty happy with it.

Good luck!

Joverstr2, welcome to the forum and the world of VOOM! I live in Foley and have had VOOM for a month...I've thoroughly enjoyed Equator, Rave, DiscoveryHD and other offerings and it's all worth the glitches I've encountered with rain fade and having to hard reboot often...the local channels come and go for me but I'll probably have another type of OTA anntena installed when I have time to deal with it-thank goodness normalcy is finally setting in after Ivan! :)

Thanks GJetson. I know what you mean about normalcy. Seems like years ago now that Ivan came through. I'm in West Mobile so I can pick up some of Biloxi's local channel's on a good clear day. I don't think Wear 3 Abc is broadcasting in HD yet because watching Abc out of Biloxi the picture is beautiful, the picture out of Wear3 looks analog still. To bad it was fading out last night during MNF because it was a great picture out of Biloxi. I certainly hope Voom sticks around because we are finally enjoying HDTV. Mediacom has dropped the ball in my opinion and I would hate to have to keep them with only 5 HD channels right now.

Both DMA in Cullman

Anyone else live between Bham & huntsville. 50 mi from each. I am now able to tune RF 49 (waff) & RF 50 (fox6). Currently signal strength is only 29 & 25. I'll be fine tuning. I guess my first stb had a faulty tuner. Have any of you guys had Voom upgrade your OTA antenna. Mine is a non-amped Sensor, and currently I am using diplexers. I need an 8-bay with a pre-amp.

btw i live in Cullman 35055

ZipTv shows all of the Huntsville stations & all of the bham ones in range. Only Bham is currently avail in my pg. Will I(my voom stb) be able to tune Huntsville if I can get a better antenna?

Or I am also waiting for Super DMA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts