Voom installed today-my first impressions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
Well I had my Voom installed today and the process went really well. My installer was on time and very knowledgeable about what he was doing. He was also very helpful and got everything done in just over an hour. I feel really fortunate to have gotten him in light of some of the other install stories I have read. The picture quality of the HD channels is very good and the SD channels look rather good too-better than I had expected. It does vary from channel to channel on the SD ones though. Some look better than others. I will have to admit that the SD pictures on Dish Network looked a bit better to me but I can live with that though. Overall I am very pleased with the PQ I am getting on all channels-HD,SD and OTA. Here are a few comments and questions:

1. I able to get all my local OTA channels except one-digital channel 27.1, a local independent station here in Dallas. It is mapped by Voom- I checked on their web site. I get a message on the screen saying "signal not detected, try again later." How do get this channel to come in?

2. I am using digital coax for audio on HD channels but on SD channels, I switch to analog. It sounds much better to me with Dolby Pro LogicII than to use the DD 2.0 on SD channels.

3. How do I know when I have the latest software version? Will this happen in the next few days in the form of a download?

4. The Voom receiver has locked up 4 or 5 times today since the install this morning. I get it to come back by pressing the power button for 5 seconds but I hope this is not something I have to do all the time.

Overall I am quite pleased with Voom so far and I appreciate all the great information I have gotten at this forum prior to installation. I am now an official Voomer. All right!

I believe you can force the download by unplugging the reciever for a few seconds then plugging it back in. Leave it on all night though. They deliver the software at 4:45am Ive been told.

the locking up is taken care of in the new software DL. At least mine has been.

latest software version is seen by pressing voom, green button,system settings,system status,then down arrow. down arrow again will give you info on signal strength. It is useful for determining proper antenna direction of OTA. But it has to be on the right channel then you have to get to the screen again for each channel.

AS far as SD quality goes. Some look better than others on cable too. LMAO

resolution

Be sure to make sure your res is set to 1080....that's the top red line......controlled by the button at bottom right on the front of the box.. :)

kirkdj said:
Be sure to make sure your res is set to 1080....that's the top red line......controlled by the button at bottom right on the front of the box.. :)

Or, make sure that the rez is set to native (all lines red). The PQ is optimal on some TV sets when the voom receiver is set to the native mode (that's the case with my Panny plasma).

Thanks for the information. I now have latest software version but I still can't get one of my local OTA channels-27.1. Thanks.

mdanderson said:
Thanks for the information. I now have latest software version but I still can't get one of my local OTA channels-27.1. Thanks.

I'd bet if you adjusted your antenna you could get it to come in, but short of it being on a rotor, I think some of your other channels will most likely have reception problems. It could also be that that channel (27.1) is low power (weak signal).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)