Voom installed yesterday

gshick

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
I know there is a dedicated thread for this but....

Voom installed yesterday. Here is how it went.

Install

Install was relatively painless. I had most everything ready beforehand. I already had an antenna, but the installer went ahead and mast installed the voom antenna(??). Oh well, my gestapo HOA shouldn't have a problem because it is not visible from the street. From that point install went about as it should, got the boxes up, getting about 91% on signal strength.

Land Line phone

I have vonage which I verified worked with dishnetwork before I made the switch. Tried reporting in the box, it did not work, but reading here discovered there is no call in phone number programmed so I guess I'll have to wait and see if that works.

First Impressions

I have gone throught the channels several times. Really like the worldsport, I will be watching alot of that. Caught my lovergirl Beyonce (mouth watering) on Rave which was great. Picture quality across all the HD channels appears to be very good. SD picture quality is fine for me.

MY BEEFS

I know most of these have already been discussed:

1. Always going to channel 100 when accessing the channel list. Went ahead and created a favorites list with all the channels I would ever want to watch so I can avoid scrolling through all the music and other channels I do not have.

2. 4x3 Stretch modes are W. E. A. K. I really don't want to use pillar box with my rear projection and the stretch mode sucks. I would like to use the stretch modes on my TV, but it locks into full mode with a 1080i signal and when I try using native scanning on the voom stb, my tv barfs on all those Cinema 720p channels (BTW aren't those eventually changing to 1080i??)
Here are my suggestions to voom: 1. Give us some decent stretch modes.
2. Give me more control over native scanning mode, ie let me configure the box so it presents 480i/p in native and converts all other HD signals to 1080i (this method would be preferable to me, since I like the stretch modes on my Toshiba.).

Well thats it. Happy so far. I want to thank Satelliteguys and everybody on the board here for all the great info. It really helped making the install process go alot smoother.

G

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)