Voom Installer Here NOW - Quick Question!! (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
My Voom installer is here as I type this (from Installs Inc. and he actually appears to know what he is doing).

My question concerns the issue of the diplexer.

I have read the VOOM FAQ, which states:

"Do not let the installer intall a diplexer. A diplexer combines the antenna and satellite signal into one line. It reduces the signal strength. It sort of like a splitter that combines two signals instead of splitting them. "

I spoke to the installer about this. He said this is the way VOOM as set up the install. He says they have never had a problem with the diplexer affecting signal strength. If I want two different lines run, it will be $60.00 per line (I have two STB's, so it would be $120 for both).

So, my question is whether the diplexer is really a problem?

Isn't the bottom line that the signal strength for OTA and the Satellite MUST be strong enough, otherwise they will need to take appropriate measure to correct this (such as a larger antenna)?

Speedy replies appreciated!!
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
Rob Tomlin said:
My Voom installer is here as I type this (from Installs Inc. and he actually appears to know what he is doing).

My question concerns the issue of the diplexer.

I have read the VOOM FAQ, which states:

"Do not let the installer intall a diplexer. A diplexer combines the antenna and satellite signal into one line. It reduces the signal strength. It sort of like a splitter that combines two signals instead of splitting them. "

I spoke to the installer about this. He said this is the way VOOM as set up the install. He says they have never had a problem with the diplexer affecting signal strength. If I want two different lines run, it will be $60.00 per line (I have two STB's, so it would be $120 for both).

So, my question is whether the diplexer is really a problem?

Isn't the bottom line that the signal strength for OTA and the Satellite MUST be strong enough, otherwise they will need to take appropriate measure to correct this (such as a larger antenna)?

Speedy replies appreciated!!


run the two lines. Get VOOM on the phone, you shouldn't have to pay a dime for it! Diplexor's have been known to cause signal problems!
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,026
1,707
New York City
It is a problem. There is no charge for up to 4 lines (2 sat and 2 OTA). If he still insists on getting paid for them, pay them and send an email ot Joe Harkins at Installs Inc so that you can get reimbursed for it. Please let the installer know that you will call Installs Inc and you have been told that there is no charge for up to 4 lines. Do not let him install the diplexer.
 

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
I am being told that I can have 4 lines up to a max of 125 feet, and I will be way beyond that with two STB's.

I told him I don't want the diplexer, but he said he will have to call the office.

Thanks for the quick replies!
 

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2004
243
8
Rockies
there is a max

My old install paperwork is at home, but if my memory is correct, it said 125 feet up to four lines for each box. That means, (If my memory is correct) that you can get 250 feet for up to four lines. But whine and complain but pay if he won't do it any other way and then deal with INSTALLS INC.

I followed the advice not to use the diplexer, but don't know if it makes a big difference. The consensis is not to let them use the diplexer. Your installer might have his paperwork which will have something about 125 and four lines. Ask to see it.
 

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
Your installer might have his paperwork which will have something about 125 and four lines. Ask to see it.

Yep. He showed it to me voluntarily. It is 125 feet for two lines via the diplexer.

Since my two TV's are so far apart, I would be way over the limit.

He also brought up the fact that he could be charging me more for fishing the lines through the attic and walls (which is true- when he told me he was going to do that, I was waiting for him to say "but it will cost extra"). He says he has his own Home Theater and likes to keep things clean, and he is actually quicker at fishing lines than wrapping it around the house, so he doesn't mind.

He seems to be a pretty straightforward guy, and he really seems to know all the issues, and "rules". This can be both in my favor and work against me.

At this point I will probably have to go ahead with the diplexer and see what happens. I have serious doubts about the stealth antenna working though. I am 49 miles from the OTA stations. He says that I am considered "on the fringe" (he uses antenna.web too) and VOOM requires them to try the Stealth antenna first. If it doesn't work, I call VOOM and they will send them back with the bigger antenna.
 

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2004
243
8
Rockies
I'd pay for the extra lines and not use the diplexer. Fishing the wires for free is a deal, and I'd consider it a push with the extra for more coaxial.
 

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
One thing I am thinking about is this: if they use the diplexer, this could weaken my signal by 2-3 db correct? Since they are using the Stealth, and I am 49 miles from the OTA stations, wouldn't this make it even more likely that the Stealth will NOT work (thereby requiring them to give me the upgraded antenna- which could theoretically work to my advantage)?
 

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
717
0
Rob,

At 49 miles, the Stealth is going to be pushing it regardless. But you are right, the extra loss from the diplexor will make it less likely that you'll receive all your off-air broadcasts with the Stealth.

You will need a separate line if you want to use the DVR this fall -- but VOOM will probably install it at that time.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
diplexers reduce the signal strength a little. I use them. still had 100 strength on most D* OTA channels. I have no problem with them. Its a digital signal, you only need a certain strength to get it. IF you get it , its perfect. With the proper antenna (probably a channel master 4228) id use them. Of course i have dropped my own cable down the wall cavities but thats just me. :)
 

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
You will need a separate line if you want to use the DVR this fall -- but VOOM will probably install it at that time.

I asked the installer about this when trying to convince him NOT to do the diplexer. He said the exact same thing: Voom will *probably* pay to have the extra line run at that time.


Its a digital signal, you only need a certain strength to get it. IF you get it , its perfect. With the proper antenna (probably a channel master 4228) id use them.

This is what I thought as well, but I wasn't sure. This is basically what the installer said too. The bottom line is that as long as everything works, I will be happy.

He is still here (3 hours and 20 minutes now) putting the Stealth antenna together before attaching it to my chimney. The receivers are both installed already. So far, I am very happy with the installation. Very clean, very professional. And very little wire showing from outside the house since most of it was fished through the attic.

Should be up and running within the hour (and of course probably longer for the OTA stations....how long will it take for them to "map"?).
 

Rob Tomlin

Thread Starter
Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 27, 2003
30
0
Cool. I am all hooked up and running.

I get all of my local OTA stations EXCEPT UPN (channel 13 in So. Cal.).

I don't know if it is worth complaining and trying to get a bigger antenna for that one station (not too much HD on UPN anyway).

A few questions:

The channels seem to take forever to change. Will this change?

My Program Guide isn't give me any information. Everything says "no info available". The installer said it would take "a while" for it to appear. How long is "a while"? It's been three hours.

The DVI output on my Dwin DLP looks great on most of the HD channels. HD just can't be beat on a 123" screen! :D
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,026
1,707
New York City
PG infor takes between 20 and 40 minutes to download. You can still watch TV while it is downloading. The software that it downloaded it is probably the old one. The new one will download and be installed automatically. Turn off the stb before going to bed. The software downloads at 4am every day. If you see the stb doing something weird, do not interrupt during this time since it is catastrophic in the middle of the dowload. The new software should resolve the slowness of the PG. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.
 

occammd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2004
397
0
Just 'cause you have OTA now doesn't mean it will work in bad weather. Fi you see pixelation in good weather then you beter get the upgraded antenna.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Rob Tomlin said:
Cool. I am all hooked up and running.

I get all of my local OTA stations EXCEPT UPN (channel 13 in So. Cal.).

I don't know if it is worth complaining and trying to get a bigger antenna for that one station (not too much HD on UPN anyway).

A few questions:

The channels seem to take forever to change. Will this change?

My Program Guide isn't give me any information. Everything says "no info available". The installer said it would take "a while" for it to appear. How long is "a while"? It's been three hours.

The DVI output on my Dwin DLP looks great on most of the HD channels. HD just can't be beat on a 123" screen! :D
takes about 2 seconds to change channels for me. I guess you need a software update. ALso get the bigger antenna.
 

jellison1

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 28, 2004
75
0
lexington ,SC
i am a voom installer and the info about running lines is wrong...diplexors are what we are getting paid to use... if you want two lines be prepared to pay for it... you are using up more of the installers equipment that he has to pay for
 

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
309
1
jellison1 said:
i am a voom installer and the info about running lines is wrong...diplexors are what we are getting paid to use... if you want two lines be prepared to pay for it... you are using up more of the installers equipment that he has to pay for

You are getting paid to follow the agreement with Voom, which says up to 4 lines. If you are a Voom installer then your company agreeed to it. Granted, if these runs are over the limit, then he should have to pay extra. Diplexors reduce the signal, and Voom seems overly sensitive to signal strength. Many have had problems that were resolved by removing the diplexor, and many more of us had sensible installers which agreed that they are bad news and helped us avoid using them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top