Voom is slow on the ball

rexoverbey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
This is some news on HD Tivo and DirecTV

Representatives at TiVo Inc. on Friday said that the high-definition version of TiVo, sold through The DirecTV Group Inc., has finally begun shipping.

Voom should have released at the same time. Now they are going to lose a lot of the HD market share.

Hmm...

This is assuming Voom is planning to use Tivo as its DVR of choice. From everything we've heard it will probably be a Motorola DVR, not a Tivo.

Now, I'd MUCH rather have a Tivo as I know the darn things are great (I have my second one for DTV). I've also heard some things saying Tivo has added info for Voom, which is a good thing. This may mean we could buy ourselves an HDTivo and use it on Voom. If anyone knows this for sure I'd love to know.

I have to say the DVR info for Voom which has been leaked does sound interesting. Sounds like a lot of cool features. I'm curious to see how well it'll work--mainly the program guide. Tivo's interface for the program guide is second to none. The program guide for Voom is horrible.

Anyway, I don't think releasing an HDTivo will make anyone go away (or to) Voom. We're not using Voom because of a DVR (obviously) any more than any of us has DTV or Dish because of a DVR. We're using Voom because someone FINALLY decided to offer a significant amount of HD programming. Sure, I want to see more--and I expect to see more in the future--but for now, if you want HD Voom is the only place worth being (all nagging problems aside).

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
.... if you want HD Voom is the only place worth being (all nagging problems aside).

The Rickster
hmmm.... TRUTHFULLY... INHD on Cablevision completely blows away about 20 of VOOM's "exclusive" channels all in one. But I aint the one to gossip so you aint heard it from me....

tattootearz said:
hmmm.... TRUTHFULLY... INHD on Cablevision completely blows away about 20 of VOOM's "exclusive" channels all in one. But I aint the one to gossip so you aint heard it from me....
Same with pq on HDNET on D*=looks better than anything on Voom-sorry to say(my wallet is sorry too)

tattootearz said:

hmm.... TRUTHFULLY... you're a troll.

Tivo first demonstrated its HDTV Tivo in January 2003 at CES, and probably had it in development at least six months to a year before that. A HDTV DVR is not something one can engineer overnight.

Integrating all those different chips in a single product is an immense engineering task. They had a stable software platform, but obviously some porting and adaptation was required. DirecTV also delayed the HD Tivo so it could be redesigned with dual satellite and dual off-air tuners. According to Dan Collins, the original design called for a box to be sold at $700-$800, in 3Q or 4Q 2003, with one satellite tuner, one off-air tuner, and a 80-120Gb hard drive.

Just found this too about a cable hd dvr rental....

HD-DVR Facts vs Myth
HD-DVR will be available to Cox customers on 4/20/04. The final test phases ran a little longer then we expected, but as some of you have mentioned in this forum, that happens sometimes when testing a new product or technology. Our HD-DVR has a 160 gig hard drive, and you’ll be able to record up to 20 hours of HD content and up to 90 hours of digital content. When you mix analog, digital, and HD content together you’ll fall in between 20-80 hours of recording space.
The HD-DVR monthly rate is $18.95 total. (DVR service is $9.95 a month, this is the functionality of DVR. Plus the HD Converter rental of $9.00)
HD-DVR will allow you to record HD programming and play it back off of a recorded list. Quality of the HD play-back is the same as the original broadcast (e.g., 1080i program is captured and played back in 1080i).

Hmm...

Tattoo:

Not everybody has the same type of cable company in their area. I'm sure there are some people who may be able to get the same (or better) pq from their local cable company but I've heard MANY stories about cable offering HD and just not being able to effectively do it. I still stand by my statement of Voom being the place to be if you're looking for HD content. There just isn't a place most people can go to where they offer as much HD content as Voom.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)