VOOM Links with lots of good DOCS!

Geno,

These links are gold...

This is fascinating:

Digital Video Recorder (DVR) models will be released shortly.
• At the upcoming CES show, VOOM will be announcing that 4 major retail outlets

At the CES show they might announce the DVR as well. Anyone knows when the next CES show is?

And with these "minutes" less than a week old, its definitely to be taken seriously. :)

Geno

Some of this is hillarious...

"please be sure your technician is not wearing articles of clothing that promote a competitors’ products, i.e. DIRECTV or Dish Network."
:rolleyes:

"If you discover that the installation you are performing will not work for some reason, and you know of a competitor’s product that may better meet the customer’s needs, do NOT offer the competitor’s product as a solution." :D

Someone better save the docs to hd before install web master finds out . And someone should tell the D*and E* forums that they have stuff on there for them also. Can't belive that it was that easy to get.

A lot of that stuff is copywriten so it's illegal to copy but if you can find it on the web without hacking and provide a link to it there is no law against that.

Does anyone know, if you have a receiver with a built in DVR, do you physically have to run a seperate cable all the way out to the dish or can you put a multiswitch right at the receiver?

Sean Mota said:
Geno,

At the CES show they might announce the DVR as well. Anyone knows when the next CES show is?

Any more than Digital Video Recorder (DVR) models will be released shortly?

I will be at CES and report back, it's the end of the first full week of Jan in Las Vegas.

Tim

Sean Mota said:
Geno,

These links are gold...

Jan 8-11, 2004 Las Vegas http://www.cesweb.org

While we should have all realized this, it was quite interesting to discover that Installs, Inc. customer is VOOM , not us.

Sometimes people think that the installers are working for them, but in fact, they are working from VOOM. The assumption is that VOOM wants you to be happy, but the installers have certain rules to follow and won't be able to deviate without permission from VOOM. Example would be re-using your existing OTA antenna....

VOOM DVRs in February?

In the frequently asked questions file there is a question about DVRs and lower priced receivers. The answer states that VOOM is going to be providing alternative receivers and tells the reader to check the VOOM web site in february. Maybe this means we are going to be getting our DVR boxes in februarry. I know that Star Choice, which also used the DSR500 family Motorola receiver, has stated that they are going to provide DVR units in the first quarter of 2004.

I do not like this:
Do NOT Use Existing Components
When performing an installation, do not shortcut the job by using a customer’s
preexisting equipment, even if it points in the same direction or will work in a customer’s
new configuration. All installations should be conducted as individual, non-existing
orders.
from http://www.installs.com/docs/Conf Call Minutes of 12-10-03.pdf

this would keep me from signing up. I already have an adequate OTA antenna & will not tolerate 2 on my roof. I also already have a 61.5 E* dish with space for a Voom LNB. I would not want a THIRD dish.

When I got my VOOM installed I made them pull out my old stuff and install the VOOM stuff. The wiring I had installed still saved the installers some time. And I figure I can sell my old stuff on ebay, it's still good, and further reduce my investment in VOOM equipment.

So you let them install their items, & get it working.
When they leave, take their stuff down, and adjust it to your liking.

My installers used my existing OTA antenna, and coax. Granted they are working for Voom, but if they can save time most intallers will.

I really hope that we see the DVR at CES, or february at the latest. It will be nice to know the options available before our money back garuntee is up.

rudolpht said:
I will be at CES and report back, it's the end of the first full week of Jan in Las Vegas.

Tim

Tim, do you live in Las Vegas? It will be great if you can take some pictures. Are you sure you are going? I want to invite people to post a list of questions about this product and maybe you can ask them to the VOOM presentatives. Is this ok with you?

Documents missing

A few of the links (particularly the ones marked as revealing or interesting) seem to have been taken off the website. Too bad... I shortened up the link to http://www.installs.com/docs and you can see an index of a large amount of documents, some regarding Voom, some regarding Cabevision, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)