Voom Menu too big for screen. Help.

Starscream79

Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Hello. I just got my Voom installed last week. I am set at 1080i output using component imput to my TV. I have a Philips 30PW863H37A. I am having problems with the picture being offset on the screen. On the Voom menu it is cut off on the left hand side. For example in the top left instead of "Voom" I see "oom" and "ll channels" instead of "all channels." When I go to an SD channel the 4:3 image is offset to the left with a thin pillar box on the left and a fat one on the right. When I view an HD channel the screen is filled but I can tell things are missing to the left because I can only see half of the sports score bugs in the top left durung sporting events. I am unable to change my TV settings to compensate for this and Voom and Philips are clueless as to how to help me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, putting the STB in 720p mode kinda defeats the purpose of HD content. I am wondering if I need to have someone clibrate my TV monitor.

Starscream79, welcome to the forum!
Sounds like your TV set has some synchronization problems with VOOM STB. Here is what you should try:
First of all, try cycling through different resolutions. In some cases this can actually fix the problem. Second, if you have multiple inputs in your TV set, try a different input. Are you using DVI or component? Make sure you are not using any Zoom modes in your TV set. Also, try turning the STB on before the TV set. See if this makes a difference. If your TV set supports 720p (not all TV sets do), this may look as good as 1080i: give it a try. If nothing else helps, there might be a way to adjust picture position/geometry through a service menu of your TV set. Good luck!

Starscream79,

I had the same problem with my Samsung TV when using the DVI input. Changing the DVI standard fixed the problem. Maybe your TV has the standard setting for the comp. inputs. Look for the "SMTPE" and "861B" standard settings in your TV's owners manual. Hope this helps!

More Information

It appears to be a resolution issue. My TV doesn't support 720p as best I can tell because when I switch to it I get "mosquito noise" and no picture. I am using Component imputs because DVI will not work for some reason. The only way I am able to get the entire menu and other pictures on the screen is by switching to 420p (or whatever standard resolution is). If I am outputting 1080i it is just too big for my screen. Do I need to have someone recalibrate my TV?

Also, I need to mention. I do not have the ability to alter the picture size when I am viewing a 1080i output. So I can't be stuck in a zoom mode of some sort.

I'd guess you might need to have your set adjusted since it sounds like an overscan problem. If you have a calibration disk like Avia or DVE, they have test patterns that show what your overscan is set to. Many times on a non-calibrated set, overscan can be not only excessive, but also not equal on all sides (hence the picture is not centered).

Good luck,

Doug

Try putting your Voom stb into Auto mode, push the red button until all 4 light bars flash, I had to do that to get my analog monitor to fit the 4:3 picture correctly.

Search this forum for RCA TVs. They have the same problem. The solution is to go into the service menu and shift the image to the right.

-John