Voom MonstersHD possibly back to 1920x1080i, See Inside!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
grb said:
And maybe they never were? Since we can't believe the headings, how do we know?

I believe Gary and some others have recordings from before all this crazy tomfoolery began, they could confirm that it was 1920x1080 before.

All the rest of the HD Pak is still in its native resolution. (TNT, ESPN, HBO, SHO, PPV, Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies)

HokieEngineer said:
I believe Gary and some others have recordings from before all this crazy tomfoolery began, they could confirm that it was 1920x1080 before.
All the rest of the HD Pak is still in its native resolution. (TNT, ESPN, HBO, SHO, PPV, Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies)

Yep, sure do.

HokieEngineer said:
I am guessing he told the decoder to ignore the pixel ratio and display the image with square pixels (1:1). I'm at work can't monkey around my captures, but I'll try and reproduce that when I get home.
HDTVFanatic, can you shed some light on how you pulled those 1280x1080 grabs? Thanks.

Sorry, I've been too busy laughing for 2 days to get involved here.

I am not sure what 1280x1080 grabs you were speaking of, but for the most part every thing I have posted has been out of Womble MPEG-VCR frame editor and I have saved it to a jpg.

Now, that said, as has been stated here, jpg will loose some quality. I have tried saving the pictures in bmp (about 6 meg or so) and then converting them to .png - but in almost every case of a 1920x1080 capture, it comes out over 1 Meg and imageshack will only allow a 1024 kb upload - thus you cannot use the at 1920x1080 with a png.

In a few cases I have resized the 1920x1080 to 960x540 so it will fit cleaning in a thread when its not down to critical debate of detail. That makes it cleaner as someone is reading a thread.

When I post 1280x1080i, I used Womble MPEG-VCR to capture a frame and save to jpg - of course the resulting was a squashed picture as 1280x1080i will not show up 16:9 - duh.

So then I have to go back in and resize the 1280x1080 to 1920x1080i so it will be in proper 16:9 porportion for comparison sake.

That said, grabbing a frame from a video editor is very different than doing a screen capture.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse the issue.

Sometimes a picture speaks a 1000 words.

I am not posting these to debate quality which is quite obvious - only that Rome is on HBO right now and easy to get at:

1920x1080i cut to 960x540 for screen real estate

1920x1080i

1280x1080i via Directv - Notice the Circle

1280x1080i upconverted to 1920x1080i for comparison

True 1920x1080i original on bottom so you can compare the original vs the 1280x1080i resized

Unless you are running a screen resolution of 1920x1080 or higher (which I know hardly any people that do), then it should be obvious that you can't do a screen cap at that resolution. That's why you have to use a editor to grab a frame and capture it.

A true 1920x1080 picture - you can see how it displays on your monitor....

As Shah8 tried to point out....if you do a frame capture and view it with a computer graphics program in 10 seconds or less you can tell if it is 1920x1080 or 1280x1080 as a computer graphic program will not inflate the pixels to fill a 16:9 image by default as seen above.

A screen capture however will most likely have the proper dimensions.

Last edited:
Excellent example!
Thanks, HDTVFanAtic!

Fanatic so you have been laughing for 2 days huh ??
being that I just started this thread 20 hours ago you, best I can figure, you must have been laughing at yourself taking a piss before I started this thread

-Gary

Considering I usually sign off the internet between 5 and 6am, its been 2 full days of laughter for me.

You really think they would keep the headers at 1280x1080i if they went back to 1920x1080i.

MAYBE move headers to 1920x1080i and keep it 1280x1080i as Dish did, but no rhyme or reason to do the other.

Last edited:
what is your explanation for the 99% identical screen caps then ??

you can see the huge difference between the caps you posted(and you said so), where is that difference in mine??, it is not there and that is what got me thinking something may be up, I was wrong but my caps are still not explained

Again why is there no difference in my caps of Wicker in both 1280x1080i and 1920x1080i??

-Gary

Gary,

Did you send a small sample of the TS for the older 1920 x 1080i capture of the Wicker Man to confirm the resolution in the header? Or is this exercise unnecessary?

Gary Murrell said:
what is your explanation for the 99% identical screen caps then ??
you can see the huge difference between the caps you posted(and you said so), where is that difference in mine??, it is not there and that is what got me thinking something may be up, I was wrong but my caps are still not explained
Again why is there no difference in my caps of Wicker in both 1280x1080i and 1920x1080i??
-Gary

learn the difference in a screen capture and an actual frame capture.

It's also comical in that you were this convinced that you did not watch Equator the Friday night where you claim it was switched at 12:15am and went to the wall it was not in HD-LITE, despite captures showing shows from 6pm to 8pm that evening on the channel in 1280x1080i.

Geez.

What a buffoon.

Last edited:
HDTVFANATIC and Gary. You both know your sh*t. and rather heave barbs at each other, let us work to a common goal of full resolution on DISH. That is what we all want. Give credit on each side that is due.

HDTV

Those last two frames, comparing the upconverted 1280 vs the true 1920 are truly excellent examples of the degradation caused by going to 1280.

Of course on many TVs, the differences would not be as pronounced. I'd like to be able to compare these same two frames on side by side 1280x720p wobulated DLP TVs. I'm sure the true 1920 frame would still be sharper, but it would be interesting to see how much sharper.

Gary Murrell said:
Fanatic so you have been laughing for 2 days huh ??
being that I just started this thread 20 hours ago you, best I can figure, you must have been laughing at yourself taking a piss before I started this thread
-Gary

This is probably the funniest thing I've seen on this forum ever!!!!!

I know stories(non-fiction :)) of this POS HD Fanatic that defy reason, what he has done to other members of other forums, almost ruining their lives :( No Joke

he is a world class turd, let me just leave it at that, if you want to know details PM me, I will not degrade this forum with that garbage

-Gary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts