VOOM Moves Target For DVR to Nov 04 or Earlier (?)

D* got to vurbano, he's being mox filtered so all we get now is his negative comments.

vurbano said:
anyone prepared to shell out what? 1000.00 bucks? for an HD DVR for a company that may not be here in a year?

OMG VOOM is coming out with a hd dvr??!?

damn i need to sign up back again.

just kiddin! :D :D :D

:) I sure hope they have a lease option... I will not purchase one. I've been holding out to see what Voom is going to do. If it's purchase only I'm going to build a pc based HD-DVR.

Voom is all about renting equipment. I'm sure the DVR will follow the same principle. The questions is will they make the monthly rental so ridiculously high that we beg them to buy it?
Right now to add Voom to one TV is $15. I'd imagine when the DVR is released to add a Thin Client would cost more than a standard box so say $25/TV. That can get very expensive.

But I'm paying for Dish and Voom right now so I'd still probably end up saving money regardless :)

They have to have a lease option, or a rent to own option. That's a must.

The only other alternative would be to give a huge subsidy with a 1 year contract to cut the overall price in half. If VOOM would just tell us what their plans are for the Regional Sports Networks (especially Comcast Sports Chicago), I'd feel 100% happy about staying with them now.

1080i said:
Official reports VOOM may be prepared to release their DVR in as little as 60 days to cash in on holiday market.

You cash in on selling, not in renting,you are outputting more cash in making the units when new subs cost are too high as it is($600.00)

I think if Voom offers their DVR for $600 with their current unknown future no one would buy it. If they offer a lease option at a reasonable price ($5-$15 over the usual rental price of $10, + $5 per whole house unit for the additional TV's) they'll have no problems getting orders and getting new customers.

As far as Chicago fans, e-mail Voom daily, get on their case.. I doubt though that they will solve this problem immediately as they are still trying to get Fox Cleveland and Cinci off the ground.

bruce said:
You cash in on selling, not in renting,you are outputting more cash in making the units when new subs cost are too high as it is($600.00)

You can make that up if the DVR lease deal comes with a 1-2 year commitment.

Walter L. said:
Nothing to worry. Worst case scenario: E* buys V* and send us a new E* sticker to affix on top of the existing DVR V* logo :D
You know, Walter, you are not too far off the mark. When I was talking to an HD engineer at Dish, he told me they helped Voom get off the ground with some technical advice and he is sure hoping that E* or D* picks up Voom soon. :yes

I mean if VOOM gets absorbed by E* or D*, I'll deal with it. I would be a lot happier at D*, but as long as we got to keep our hardware or got our hardware replaced with new stuff it wouldn't be that bad.

But 480P could give a enhanced view of this.

txdude said:
:) I sure hope they have a lease option... I will not purchase one. I've been holding out to see what Voom is going to do. If it's purchase only I'm going to build a pc based HD-DVR.

I would've already done this if I could find a PC capture card that works with the Voom receiver (DVI or component input). All that I've seen for PC only work with an OTA antenna.

sixy said:
I would've already done this if I could find a PC capture card that works with the Voom receiver (DVI or component input). All that I've seen for PC only work with an OTA antenna.

Exactly! I haven't found a Component video capture card or for that matter any HD capture card under $2000! I too would have a HTPC DVR but I can not find a good way to get the signal (in HD) from the Voom STB to the computer. I would love to capture using Windows Media 9 encoder ( a free download to boot! ) and then playback from DVI out on the computer. As cheap as 100gb+ hard drives have become you could record just about as much content as you would want.

If anyone has any information about a HD capture card (no, not the OTA HD tuner cards, those are not usable in this case) please post it up!

sixy said:
It would need to be component, since the STB DVI output has HDCP (content protection).

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ilya and I shall find out Tommorow as we will be meeting with VOOM. :D

OK Scott, the day is over. How did the meeting with Voom go and what is "The Word"? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)