Voom DVR: To Lease or to Buy will make or break Voom

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
If Voom gets their stuff together and gets the DVR released by November the latest and has it available for rental for a small monthly cost. Whoa!!
Let's just say they'll be a lot more members of this Forum. People will run to Voom.

I can see the commercial now,
Sick of paying outrageous prices just to see and record High Definition channels, sick of having to pay extra money to get your local HD channels. Come to Voom, for a limited time $0 install, Free OTA antenna, 1 year commitment, 34 HD channels, only $39 a month and $15 a month for each additional TV. Whole house DVR only an additional $5 per TV. Call now...

And For Existing customers since you stuck with us through the hard times. The DVR system is free for all of you :D

I still have Dish just so I can PVR shows for my wife, and because 2 year olds don't care that it's 4th and 1 or bottom of the ninth Red Sox v Yankees when they want a snack. I miss my pause button when watching Voom. But it's worth it....for now.
Tick Tock Tick Tock

Except for one thing - if they're going to have it out by November (or whenever) - they need to go ahead and ANNOUNCE something.

Why?

Well, if I get sick of waiting and get an HDTivo for $1000 - I'm sticking with D* for a while, know what I mean?

I'd sign into a 1 or 2 year commitment if they gave the DVR for rental at a decent rate.

Rent To Own Plan... 2 year commitment after 2 years DVR is yours.. (offer per DVR)... win/win scenario.

free for existing customers? pls pass the bong this way :)

I just hope it's reasonable. But I don't think it will be, considering how much hdtivo is SELLING. Figure at least $20 for the dvr, and who knows how much for additional clients.

I don't think 20 a month for the DVR is unreasonable. Since it will be the only receiver in the house you can probably say goodbye to the mirroring fees for your other active receivers. I have 2 other TV's in the house besides the main one, so I'll save 10 bucks a month on mirroring right there.

I would imagine something like 20 bucks a month for the DVR and 5 bucks a month for the thin clients. Or perhaps an option to purchase the thin clients for like 50 or 60 bucks a pop when you trade back in your old receiver.

Sean, that being said are we any closer to getting some new info out of VOOM about the DVR? We're putting up with a lot of growing pains and it would be nice to be thrown a bone on this one.

Sean Mota said:
We will soon know. There's hope...

Um, no way did you just drop a little line like this and walk away from it. You walk back here pick that up and explain yourself.

Dvlos said:
Um, no way did you just drop a little line like this and walk away from it. You walk back here pick that up and explain yourself.
He cant. He probably is using the thing as a beta tester right now and is not allowed to say anything. All I have to say is theres no way I am paying 150 bucks a month to watch TV with DVR rental cost on top of what im paying now and then a price increase next year. Forget it.

No I am not beta testing anything... (seriously). But I know that DVR is not too far away and hopefully there will be no delays this time.

Is this "reliable" yet anonymous and not official, yet better than Vegas odds insider info Sean?

Dvlos said:
Is this "reliable" yet anonymous and not official, yet better than Vegas odds insider info Sean?

Not official but insider info. Not reliable either. If I have to take my chances in Vegas I would say 50/50 :)

Well if this is just a guess and you are only 50/50 would you care to quantify "not too far away"? Can you say 2004 or 2005?

HeavyC said:
Well if this is just a guess and you are only 50/50 would you care to quantify "not too far away"? Can you say 2004 or 2005?

This is where it gets tricky... :) I have heard before 2005. Again (my disclaimer) I do not know this for a fact! Take it as your will.

Sean Mota said:
This is where it gets tricky... :) I have heard before 2005. Again (my disclaimer) I do not know this for a fact! Take it as your will.

Either way....thanks Sean. It's nice to know it's coming sooner rather than later in any case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)