Ucentric DVR news

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DAILY

Comcast ended a nearly year-long trial in the Philadelphia area of networked digital home applications and services with no immediate plans to revive it. The test, which involved Samsung set-top boxes (STBs) and Ucentric Systems' Digital Home Software Suite, was announced last May and grew to include Ucentric's Whole Home Music 1.0 in Jan. "The trial was on running on a box without embedded conditional access and it was inherently good for making sure that certain core hypotheses made sense, but in terms of a broad-based consumer trial, we wanted to have more of an integrated product," Ucentric CEO Michael Collette told us. Samsung and Comcast officials weren't immediately available for comment. The trial, despite being shut down, "accomplished key objectives" for Comcast and Samsung, Collette said, including gathering data related to the use of the PVR included in Samsung's STB. The test included Ucentric's multi-TV DVR software. Put on the back burner by the ending of the trial was Ucentric's alliance announced earlier this year with ATI Technologies. ATI demonstrated its Xilleon 225 processor at CES in Jan. running Ucentric software. The Xilleon processor was "tailored" to the Samsung STB and Ucentric's other alliance with Motorola typically involves a Broadcom chip, Collette said. Meanwhile, Motorola's Home Media Architecture, which will include Ucentric's multi-TV DVR software, will likely debut in STBs in early 2005, Collette said. "We're taking their core technology and extending it, which includes the networking platform and the multi-TV DVR logic application," he said. Collette declined comment on Ucentric's funding, but said he was "extremely comfortable" that the company will have "sufficient cash to operate to break even." Collette declined comment on the timing for achieving break even. Ucentric received an additional $4 million last Dec. from Polaris Venture Partners, which has been the company's primary investor. Maynard, Mass.-based Ucentric has doubled the number of its employees since Jan. and will grow another 50% by the end of the year, said Collette, who declined to disclose exact figures.

I know you're alluding to a possible 2005 release of the Whole House solution BUT, there could be hope that the DVR releases first, then the whole house solution a few months later?

Good point, but I doubt VOOM woud do that because people would not pay the $200 house call to get the thin clients installed later. The whole house solution sounds a bit more complicated to hook up and needs to be professionally installed as usual.

VOOM has not talked about a DVR without the Ucentric software.

rtt2 said:
Good point, but I doubt VOOM woud do that because people would not pay the $200 house call to get the thin clients installed later. The whole house solution sounds a bit more complicated to hook up and needs to be professionally installed as usual.

VOOM has not talked about a DVR without the Ucentric software.

That's a valid point about the pro-installation fee since they do not allow self-install. I do not know if the Ucentric Software in the DVR can be loaded without actual clients connected. I do not see why not but again one never knows.

I'll see if I can get some additional info from VOOM at CEDIA Expo next week.

Choke who you have to choke, slap who you gotta slap, but get this across to the Voom people in charge...

DVR is a must. PQ needs WORK. Bring home INHD 1/2, thanks for Fox Sports Florida HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)