Ucentric tells me VOOM says "keep working on DVR"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aboyne

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I managed to get an operator at Ucentric into transfering me to a technology development guy. He said that Voom has asked them to keep working on their whole house DVR as recently as yesterday. After answering my questions he stuttered and asked "who is this again?" as if i was somebody.

I told him "just a VOOM customer", he seemed to be confounded as to how I got to him and wouldn't give me his name.

Good Detective work! VOOM needs to comment on their DVR and publish a date. If they don't they may go out of business soon ;)

Welcome to the forum, aboyne and mcdeeee!
I moved the aboyne's post to this separate thread, so it wouldn't be lost in that long-long thread.

dvr

csr told me today that dvr will be released in the first half of 2005, so i guess march is out! she also said that the new channels SHOULD be avaliable in march!

I love all the talk about the March date for new channels except that means that the superdish would have to be installed or is there an option I am missing?

I still have yet to see a list of new HD channels.

All I see is new SD channels and the "capacity" to go to 70 HD but no specific HD channels. There aren't that many HD channels out there broadcasting.

Not that it matters. I will go down with the ship. If it stays afloat I will be there as well. ;)

Kinda funny...about the "capacity" to go to 70. Looks more like the "capacity" has gone to ZERO.

Lob

You forget they still have another Satellite, if C. Dolan can buy Voom himself, he could keep it running for a while off the 2nd bird if I am not mistaken, although the capacity would be around what we have now, maybe a little more.

The only thing I can think of, is that Dolan would believe in the DVR, smaller STBs, and more channels, that by the end of 2005, Voom could have enough subs to be profitable.

Lobstah said:
Looks more like the "capacity" has gone to ZERO.

Lob

You are speaking in the past tense? Funny... my VOOM and all channels are still up and others have reported the same. You must be a special bitch they turned off. lol :D

VOOM CSR says DVR out of beta and ...

VOOM CSR says stand-aloneDVR out of beta and whole house solution coming sometime later.

No mention of price yet?

With all the riff-raf who would spend a grand or so for a VOOM DVR?

As much as I love my VOOM HDTV selection and as bad as I want this DVR for VOOM, I will do as I did last summer and get on board with the VOOM DVR when they offer it up for rent. I'll gladly pay $25 per month and upgrade to everything they have and keep renting the existing receiver if they will do that. It would put me at $165 per month but I'll still save money by dropping my Dish Net for awhile until they get their act together. I'm looking for an excuse to dump them now. Actually, I have the excuse ( junk 921 and no HDTV channels added) but looking for the straw that pushes me over the edge. A VOOM DVR deal like I mentioned would do that, even if only temporary until they go black.

Don Landis said:
No mention of price yet?

With all the riff-raf who would spend a grand or so for a VOOM DVR?

As much as I love my VOOM HDTV selection and as bad as I want this DVR for VOOM, I will do as I did last summer and get on board with the VOOM DVR when they offer it up for rent. I'll gladly pay $25 per month and upgrade to everything they have and keep renting the existing receiver if they will do that. It would put me at $165 per month but I'll still save money by dropping my Dish Net for awhile until they get their act together. I'm looking for an excuse to dump them now. Actually, I have the excuse ( junk 921 and no HDTV channels added) but looking for the straw that pushes me over the edge. A VOOM DVR deal like I mentioned would do that, even if only temporary until they go black.
I take exception to the above statement. :rolleyes: Speaking on behalf of Riff, I am willing to pay roughly $399 for the DVR, but certainly not one red cent under the current climate. A HD DVR can be rented from the local cable company for $7.95. So I’m willing to pay roughly $10 to rent the VOOM HD DVR and perhaps an additional $5 for Whole Home Networking.

Riff...

Voom to Ucentric: Keep working on the dvr
Voom to Lockheed Martin: Keep building those satellites
Voom To HDTV Magazine for Ads: The Check's in the mail
Voom to new Subs: We can install you right away for $1

Voom to Dish Network: HERE's the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ncc1701 said:

DISH TO CURRENT VOOM SUBS: HERE'S AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE!!!
This could actually be the plan...well why not!

Voom to Dish Network: HERE's the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DISH TO CURRENT VOOM SUBS: HERE'S AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE!!!
Great summary! :haha Kind of says it all.

Ncc1701 said:

There's a flaw in your summary. Dish only bought one satellite and an uplink facility. That's it, that's all.

CSR tells me standalone DVR out of Beta ...

and whole house version still in development.

Not sure if this means anything, but I thought i'd pass it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)