Would you buy or lease the upcoming DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
buying no way... Leasing is the way to go... These DVRs are outdated by the time they the hit the market. Look at 921 and HD TIVO. and the not even released 942.

Sean Mota said:
buying no way... Leasing is the way to go... These DVRs are outdated by the time they the hit the market. Look at 921 and HD TIVO. and the not even released 942.
I agree. That's the BIG lesson from the D* HDTivo fiasco. My vote is also for option #3.

I'd rather lease, but I think I would buy if that's the only option...

The DBS companies are really going to be up against a wall soon as cable companies everywhere are leasing HD DVRs for $10/month... You will end up paying a mirror fee of $5/month with a DBS company even if you buy the box. You are looking at 5-10 years before you can save any money.

DBS companies really got you if you did not subscribe to the top packs and paid the extra $5/month for TIVO/DVR fee... You pay the $550-$1000 up front then pay $10 a month to use your box.

I bet in the future all three DBS companies lease the next generation of box for $10 a month (mirror fee included).

I have done a poll like this before. I think most people wanted to have both the lease options and buy option available.

I would prefer to lease, exspecially if we are talking 1K price tags like a dual Tuner HD Direct TV Tivo.

VOOM may not want to lease these boxes because they feel they would be loosing too much posiible money, but the way i see it it is the only way they can survive at this point.

I love my VOOM service, and am anxiously awaiting a DVR for it, But in all honesty i do not think any sane person would outright purchase a $1000 piece of hardware from VOOM right now with all the uncertanity of them going out of business or being sold, the only way voom could make the DVR work ( and gain high subscriber numbers) would be to lease it!!!! IMHO!!!!

I've been using the SA8000HD-DVR for several months now. Costs $7.95/mo from my cable company.
Both the equipment and the ability to lease it are essential in the equation for my house. If they don't come out with it soon, and I can't lease it for approx. what my cable co. charges, I'll drop VOOM like 3rd Period French...

Lob

Lease

lease is the way to go,that way when a new model comes out you can upgrade.

I cant afford to do anything else ....so I would lease...no doubt.

Like all things, I would consider buying the DVR if, as Bob Barker says, "The Price is Right" and they don't pull any Cheese Dick stunts like selling, folding or raising rates either directly or indirectly.

In a competitive market, I'm not so sure that Voom really has any choices to make. They can either offer the DVR on lease at about the same prices as the competing satellite and cable companies or loose subscribers to them which they definately can't afford to do. I just wonder if they'll be smart enough to figure this out.

I'd be shocked if Voom leases these boxes. They have a lot of debt to make up for and they need to look all cute and profitable for their new suitors. Whoever that may be. Selling the DVR for $1k a pop will definitely help. Leasing for $10 a month won't. But we'll see. A thousand dollar DVR is just as good as no DVR to me...

JimP said:
In a competitive market, I'm not so sure that Voom really has any choices to make. They can either offer the DVR on lease at about the same prices as the competing satellite and cable companies or loose subscribers to them which they definately can't afford to do. I just wonder if they'll be smart enough to figure this out.

Only cable leases HD DVR's. Dish charges $550 for the 921 and Directv is now down to around $850 for the HD Tivo.

I'm leasing a HD DVR from Comcast for $10 per month. Wouldn't consider paying more for a VOOM DVR.

JimP said:
Kaysadeya

How many HD channels are you getting through Comcast?

The only HD channels from Comcast that I care about are local and PBS, which are only a handful. I don't subscribe to any of the premium channels through Comcast. (Va-Va) VOOM is still the king of HD in my house. However my OTA reception is next to nothing, so Comcast fills in the gaps.

Kaysadeya:
You probably know this, but if you only care about locals, you can keep only the Comcast Basic package (in my area $8.50/month) and lease the HD DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)