VOOM operating normally...

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I decided to inquire VOOM about the current situation. This is what I wrote:
On January 6, 2005 at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas, VOOM announced that it will increase the HD channel lineup from 39 to 71 channels by March 2005. The announcement is located at:
http://www.voom.com/util/press/press_01062005_1.shtml
Also, at that same show it was announced that VOOM will launch the High-Def DVR by the same date.
However, on January 20 (2 weeks later), Cablevision announced that it was selling the VOOM satellite (Rainbow-1) and other assets to EchoStar. The announcement was published at:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050120/205895_1.html
That announcement also says: "VOOM will continue to provide service to its current customers during a transition period."

After seeing that announcement, I spoke to a Customer Service Representative and was told that the VOOM service is not shutting down and that the programming expansion plans and HD-DVR are still in place for March 2005.
As a VOOM customer, I'm really confused. Some of the questions that come to my mind are:

1) What is the "transition period"? Transition to what?
2) Will the VOOM service continue? If so, how can VOOM continue the service after selling the satellite?
3) Is VOOM still planning the channel expansion and HD-DVR launch by March 2005?

And (not surprise) this is the response that I got was:

VOOM is operating normally and is continuing with plans to expand its programming lineup and enhance your service. Look for announcements as soon as next month and throughout 2005. I recommend frequenting our web site, and signing up for our HD Newsletter. That way you may be notified of the latest developments in VOOM as they become available.

Meanwhile, we are pleased to provide up to three times the number of High Definition channels compared to other satellite companies or cable, in addition to the full array of standard definition channels you expect.

As for the release of the channels, we are still planning on adding those channels and the DVR will be out within the next 6 months.

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Tiffany P.
VOOM Email Support

OK guys. Nothing to worry about. We can relax and wait for the 70 HD channel and the HDDVR :rolleyes:

Tiffany P.
VOOM Email Support.

Hmmm... Wonder why she abbr. her last name if she is so confident?

She clearly addressed ALL 3 questions.

6 more months now for the DVR. First I seen that info. Last I saw was Spring. Course Spring ends near the end of June.

gutter said:
6 more months now for the DVR. First I seen that info. Last I saw was Spring. Course Spring ends near the end of June.

Yeah, except it is Feb.( 2nd month ) +6 more months=Aug. ( 8th month).

"The CSR never give out their last names."

Funny enough almost every time I've talked to a CSR-almost beyond count-they've given me both their first and last names. If not I ask for my VOOM "log".

Enjoying HDTV under beautiful blue Seattle skies, Gill

bruce said:
Yeah, except it is Feb.( 2nd month ) +6 more months=Aug. ( 8th month).
One thing for sure. VOOM now has more important things to worry about than launching the HD-DVR ;)

Apparently. here's my question to VOOM Customer service regarding the release of the DVR:"When is the DVR slated to come out? How long after that before the whole home solution? Thanks in advance! MJB"

And the answer:

"Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We are currently finalizing our testing and production of our HD-DVR. The release date and pricing have not been currently set . With the introduction of our VOOM HD-DVR, you will be able to watch and record both standard definition and high definition programming sent through the VOOM satellite. The VOOM HD-DVR also has multiple tuners, allowing you to watch a previously recorded show while you record another!

I am sorry, but at this time I currently don't have any specific dates when our Whole Home Solution will be released. Feel free to signup for our HD-Newsletter online. That way you can be kept up to date on our new products and services. The URL to our website is:
http://www.voom.com

Please contact us at anytime if you have any other questions.

Kyle S.
VOOM Email Support"

I wonder how long a "Finalizing" period is in days/months???

The DVR will be available in March. There is a video clip posted in one of these threads that has a VOOM representative stating definitively that tha DVR will be available in March.

jnardone said:
The DVR will be available in March. There is a video clip posted in one of these threads that has a VOOM representative stating definitively that tha DVR will be available in March.
That was before the the sale of Rainbow-1 was announced. Now, we don't even know what will happen with VOOM, let the HDDVR alone.

Walter L. said:
That was before the the sale of Rainbow-1 was announced. Now, we don't even know what will happen with VOOM, let the HDDVR alone.

Let the HDDVR Alone!!! I don't think so! The HDDVR including the whole home solution needs to be implemented!!!

[off topic a bit] I see a analogy here with the HDDVR total home solution to the V-2 Rocket at the end of WWII. Both were superior technologies being implemented by losing sides. There were many lessons to be learned by the implementation of the V-2 (& to be had by the HDDVR), and had the technology been available earlier, like say the Battle of Britain, the outcome have been much different just as VOOM would have been quite successful IMHO...

I take it you have seen this DVR. What makes it so advanced?

jnardone said:

That means nothing, I'm sure someone can pull up a clip from CES 2004 where someone at Voom stated the DVR was coming out last summer too. If their is one thing I learned about Voom it's that they tell you what you want to hear. They could all know that the DVR is a year away but if they say that they'll loose a slew of us that are waiting for it. So they bait us along 3,4,6 months at a time. It truly is business as usual at Voom ;)

Walter L. said:
I decided to inquire VOOM about the current situation. This is what I wrote:

And (not surprise) this is the response that I got was:

OK guys. Nothing to worry about. We can relax and wait for the 70 HD channel and the HDDVR :rolleyes:

If they are expanding the channel lineup, where is the MPEG 4 card or oval dish?

kfried001 said:
If they are expanding the channel lineup, where is the MPEG 4 card or oval dish?

That truely is the missing piece of the puzzle.

kfried001 said:
Well, the oval dish is not needed anymore since Rainbow-1 is being sold. What will be needed is to migrate all current programming to AMC-6 using MPEG-4 to allow room for new channels. Of course, the STB will need to be upgraded with the MPEG4 module and the dish would need to be re-posistioned and the LNB replaced (as I understand it).

The Latest...

Back to topic, here is the latest. I replied to the original response I got from VOOM with the following message:
Thanks for your responses. You answered all of my questions except one:

How can VOOM continue the service after selling its only satellite to EchoStar?

The satellite sale was publically announced by Cablevision at:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050120/205895_1.html

And the new response I got was:

Response (William M.) - 02/09/2005 11:29 AM Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We appreciate your concern. The recently announced deal has yet to be concluded, including the details of any transition plan. In the meantime, VOOM will continue to provide uninterrupted service to all of our customers. We would like to thank you for your loyal support and will continue to keep you informed as more information becomes available.

Adrianne F.
VOOM Email Support