VOOM programming format question

ilovebeer

Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Hello,
I have a few newbie questions that I am hoping somebody currently subscribing to VOOM can answer regarding the format that is broadcast. I know that HD is supposed to be widescreen/ 16:9 format only, but what about the SD content- what format does VOOM present that in? In other words, is SD sent in 4:3 or 16:9? Am I correct in assuming that the HD channels ALWAYS broadcast in 16:9? I have a 4:3 TV and if I am sitting far away from the TV sometimes 16:9 video is hard to see.

On a related note, Can you "force" programs to appear fullscreen in a 4:3 format by selecting 480i output on the stb? Or would 16:9 programming appear with filler bars around the side if 480i is selected? How does Voom handle the downmix to 480i for non-HD sets (for a second room, for example)?

Finally, is it possible to map in SD OTA channels? Some of my locals are not digital yet and this also might be a way to access full-screen video.

Thanks in advance,
Db

Take the simultaeous 480i output from the VOOm Box and route it to a second video input and with your aspect control you can make it any size you want. You just can not change the aspect of the true HD programs you are receiving via component cables.

7/20 HD Cinema Premiere Movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)