Voom Receivers used for OTA: WIll Program Guide Work?

kschorz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Hate to start another thread but why swim in countless threads that don't answer this simple question: If Voom does let us keep the rented receivers and the OTA portion of the receiver remains active, how will the program guide work?
Will it work at all?
From what I remember there is a PSIP code transmitted with the digital OTA signals that carries the program guide. Is this correct?
Is this what our Voom receivers uses to display the program guide?

No guide data

The guide data for the Voom Receivers comes only from the satellite only. The receivers have the capability of displaying PSIP data, but that hasn't been enabled on the boxes through any of the software updates. From what I understand, all it takes it a software update or a signal being sent that tells the boxes to turn this feature on.

lilyarbie said:
The guide data for the Voom Receivers comes only from the satellite only. The receivers have the capability of displaying PSIP data, but that hasn't been enabled on the boxes through any of the software updates. From what I understand, all it takes it a software update or a signal being sent that tells the boxes to turn this feature on.

Well if this is the case and Voom doesn't enable the PSIP program guide AND Voom let's us keep the receivers, ,mine will go in the trash or I will sell it for shipping fees only to anyone that wants it. I already have a Dish 811 and a Mits WS55613 that has an internal OTA HD receiver.

Voom Receivers Update

I just talked to a VOOM csr who read a statement that said we can keep our receivers to use for off air HD. If we find that we have no further use for them they should be disposed of properly because of environmental concerns. If I had any further questions the csr's will be there until the end of the month. I was then asked if they answered my questions.
Very polite service!

Voom Box Is A Gift To Those That Can Use It!

I wasn't really expecting to get someone knocking on my door for the STB and even the cost of shipping boxes to subscribers seemed cost prohibitive. Cablevision wanted to stop the bleeding permanently, not cauterize the wound. Jimmy Dolan doesn't want to spend another dime on his fathers dream and his nightmare!

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh......

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH...die Jimmy, die!!!
costumed-smiley-056.gif
costumed-smiley-056.gif
Vicki

kschorz said:
Well if this is the case and Voom doesn't enable the PSIP program guide AND Voom let's us keep the receivers, ,mine will go in the trash or I will sell it for shipping fees only to anyone that wants it. I already have a Dish 811 and a Mits WS55613 that has an internal OTA HD receiver.

kschorz, if you still have an analog tv left in the house. You can use the Voom Box to convert ATSC signals to 480 and watch them on your old tv.

That's what I'm doing with one of mine...

I've got one of my receivers hooked up to my 35" analog Sanyo television using the component cables. I get a much better picture with it than I do with my dvd player using component cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)