VOOM reception very flaky

Ti-maniac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
All of a sudden at 7:15 (7.27) all of my VOOM channels starting pixelating like mad, and may channels are out. Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes, the same here around 10:15 Eastern. Signal Quality went below 75.

Man am I glad Voom is coming to get their crap tomorrow. My wife and I got tired of all these problems Voom has.

Neutron said:
Man am I glad Voom is coming to get their crap tomorrow. My wife and I got tired of all these problems Voom has.

Why are you still reading VOOM forum since you hate VOOM?

I don't hate Voom. They just need to work out the crap with their equipment.

Aren't I still allowed to read the Voom forum?

Just a wild guess..., but maybe the problem recently with lower signal quality is from the mass download of 1.10 upgrade information in the satellite stream. Give them a few days and I bet this clears up.

Seawaves said:
Didn't you start this thread with a complaint? Geez.

I am allowed to complain since I am still paying for it. This is one's fundamental right of VOOM passage.

I would think, alternatively, that former VOOMers wouldn't be interested complaining. Perhaps there is another explanation for this phenomenon, like, "I still would like to subscribe to VOOM but my wife complains" or something like that.

I personally dislik VOOM proceedures and dealing with them. It took 10 weeks, for example, to get my refund back on the charter box ($800), etc. But I still subscribe because the HD is great.

On the other hand if I was disconnected, I would probably no longer be interested in wasting my time in this forum. Since I subscribe, however, then I have a justification to waste my time here, and therefore consider it a form of enjoyment.

If you are unable to understand this, then I feel bad for you.

Yep, box got flaky here too in the past hour or so.

All of us who visit this forum are lucky because we can compare notes and get a sense of what's going on and where to turn for camaraderie and info (hopefully). I pity the poor slobs who get hit with a flaky box tonight and are left wondering wtf is happening.

There should have been a Voom email about this tonight for something as important as this. If there was, I never got one.

Exactly. With the constant problems with rebooting the box 3-4 times a week and a horrible rain fade problem I had to hear about it from the wife. I was happy with it either. You married folks know the drill. If your wife ain't happy, you ain't happy.

Besides, with the fight across the river from me I'm sure I will hear first hand. :)

Voom installer just left with their stuff. Directv is on their way with my new HD box. :)

Are you going to get the Sunday Ticket? How much was the HD box? I am on the fence with all these HD games coming up on ST. If D* didn't require a contract I would probably get it just for football season.

P.S. I'm not getting rid of Voom.

Well, since my cable company offered me a sweet deal on their HD package I called Directv to see what they could do. Immediately I was transferred to retention and was told they would give me the HD box for free, and just charge me $50 for the off air antenna. So I took their offer. My committment starts over, but I see it as this. I can recover the disconnect fee very easliy if needbe seeing as how these HD boxes are going for $200-300 on ebay and the disconnect is only $150 prorated.

I would get Sunday Ticket but I don't think the wife would be too thrilled with me. I'm still going to try. :D after all, she got the movie channels she wanted.

Last night my wife was waiting to see John Kerry's wife speak at the DNC and the signal started going in and out with stutters and freezes. Then the receiver froze. Boy was she pissed! Then of course I get it from my son who asked why did you ever switch to Voom in the first place? My wife gave me the ultimatum. Either this thing is fixed in 1 minute or you and the Voom box can leave. I did a reboot and got the signal back in the nick of time for the speech. I have to say the problems are getting VERY OLD and are starting to strain the family relationships. Come on Voom! Get your shi* together or call it quits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that situation sounds very familiar to what my wife told me. She was tired of the reboots and lockups. "We pay $50 a month for THIS?" "Sorry, it has got to go."

I really want to turn her on for HDTV but these problems aren't helping any. First DISH now Voom. I hope Directv has it right and I don't have problems with their box. My wife isn't to thrilled with technology like I am.

Just out of curiousity, is your wife used to cable? Or were you previously subscribing to other satellite services (the last time you had service that your wife approved of)?

Voom is my first experience with satellite, besides the occasional hotel that used satellite. Prior to buying Voom, I had only experienced rain fade from a hotel, and was not very tolerant of it then. I switched from Comcast to Voom with the expectation that I'd need to get used to the idea that a storm can knock out my signal for some period of time, and had to live with that idea - and most importantly - distinguish the angst of living with satellite service from the potential hiccups of using a startup service like Voom.

My wife and I have been willing to put up with this, and last night was really the first time that we were put to the test because we had a fairly powerful storm, and had picture freeze now and again. Just thinking that your wife's comments sound familiar as someone used to cable, and not used to dropouts due to weather...

You guys want to hear something funny...at least I think so. My HOA has contracted this company called GateHouse Networks to provide cable TV and cable internet to the community. GateHouse repackages and distributes an E* feed as the cable system. Because of their poor setup or something my cable suffers from more rain fade than my Voom does. But hey, that's free.

I come from a cable environment and it is tough to get used to all the bugs in Voom, but I am determined to get away from a cable system (Buckeye) that uses it's profits to support the rag of a newspaper the Toledo Blade.
So I'll put up with the rain fade and other quirks.
I also had problems last night with getting my satellite to lock in @ 80.

Two questions,
Now that the sky is clear is there a benefit to trying to run the install wizard again, or will it just "unlock" when the rain comes back.

2. This is a stupid question I know, can I only get digital locals? There are analog stations all around and the scanner can't see them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts