VOOM reception very flaky

Kentstater72 said:
I come from a cable environment and it is tough to get used to all the bugs in Voom, but I am determined to get away from a cable system (Buckeye) that uses it's profits to support the rag of a newspaper the Toledo Blade.
So I'll put up with the rain fade and other quirks.
I also had problems last night with getting my satellite to lock in @ 80.

Two questions,
Now that the sky is clear is there a benefit to trying to run the install wizard again, or will it just "unlock" when the rain comes back.

2. This is a stupid question I know, can I only get digital locals? There are analog stations all around and the scanner can't see them.
1.If you are reffering to the SAT signal...it will fade at or below 80 when ever the clouds/rain is bad enough.

2. The tuner in the Voom STB will only tune in digital channels.

janello said:
Just a wild guess..., but maybe the problem recently with lower signal quality is from the mass download of 1.10 upgrade information in the satellite stream. Give them a few days and I bet this clears up.

I hope so, the satellite channels both HD and SD were unwatchable last night, but thankfully the new OTA scanning jumped my OTA's from 14 to 33 and there are 4 or 5 that don't have the PSIP (is that the correct term?) so they won't lock. Makes me seriously consider spending $300 on a samsung settop receiver as well.

My wife has a cell phone, it loses signal from time to time,but does she curse the phone as she does the Voom box, Hell no! Do you think she is willing to get rid of the phone? When my wife complains about Voom, I quickly remind her of the times Comcast went out, how bad the PQ was on Dishnetwork, the rain fade issues with dishnetwork, and if its lightening outside, turn the TV off and unplug it before you fry it. You guys need to remind your spouses and kids that not everything in this world is perfect and quit your bitchin! Society has turned us into demanding demons until the tables are turned on us and something is demanded of us. Most people fold under the pressure!

VewDew said:
I hope so, the satellite channels both HD and SD were unwatchable last night, but thankfully the new OTA scanning jumped my OTA's from 14 to 33 and there are 4 or 5 that don't have the PSIP (is that the correct term?) so they won't lock. Makes me seriously consider spending $300 on a samsung settop receiver as well.
Dang, 33 locals, you lucky dog.

kjaslow said:
Just out of curiousity, is your wife used to cable? Or were you previously subscribing to other satellite services (the last time you had service that your wife approved of)?

Voom is my first experience with satellite, besides the occasional hotel that used satellite. Prior to buying Voom, I had only experienced rain fade from a hotel, and was not very tolerant of it then. I switched from Comcast to Voom with the expectation that I'd need to get used to the idea that a storm can knock out my signal for some period of time, and had to live with that idea - and most importantly - distinguish the angst of living with satellite service from the potential hiccups of using a startup service like Voom.

My wife and I have been willing to put up with this, and last night was really the first time that we were put to the test because we had a fairly powerful storm, and had picture freeze now and again. Just thinking that your wife's comments sound familiar as someone used to cable, and not used to dropouts due to weather...

I am a long time Dish Network subscriber from 1995? to present. Matter of fact I used to own a company for custom HT installs and we were a Dish Network retailer because Dish had HD content. My wife loves Dish and the HGTV channel. I have the whole house setup for Dish but have the subscription ramped down to only the HD pak while I evaluate Voom. She misses HGTV to the extent that alone will put Voom on the curb let alone the technical problems. I am a TV and HD junkie playing with my toys. Until now my wife never complained much but now has made her preferences known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)