Voom Settlement?

I still hope the dolans get where it hurts.

I think Dish will settle, and it will be a dollar figure that looks like a big win for AMC. From my admittedly limited 100,000 mile view of the case it looks like Voom has the easier case to understand. That combined with the negative instruction makes it a hard climb for Dish. Dish would need an easily understandable, black and white, "smoking gun" reason to come out on top in a jury trial. Sublte contract interpretations will not get it done.

Even with a big settlement, dropping Voom was probably the best decision for Dish if you factor in what they would have had to pay in programming fees. Voom would have been too big an anchor in both programming fees and bandwidth to work around. This was the quickest way to get out. It almost certainly was not the cheapest, but how much more it is really costing them vs other options no one will ever know.

I dont honestly believe that the removal had anything to do with the costs. As far as I know DISH did not have any talks with them about price after they notified them they were planning on taking down the channels. I do not believe (and I could be wrong) that there were ANY negoations going on.
Exactly. Dish simply announced they were dropping the AMC channels at the end of the contract. It was like a sore-loser kid stating he wasn't going to play anymor, taking his ball, and going home.

Except they knew how small the viewership was. And knew the content was easily available elsewhere.

Except they knew how small the viewership was. And knew the content was easily available elsewhere.
I've said this before, and I'll say this again. the arguments used against AMC Networks can easily be used against nearly every other content provider. Sure we want to keep our subscription prices low. But at what price? I know negotiations fail, but not to have any negotiations at all tells me that Dish doesn't think as much of it's customers as many think. Would Dish customers be happy with the price they're currently paying today five years from now, but with 25% or 30% less channels? Are you willing to accept less from Dish because you can get the content you want elsewhere? What happens to Dish's sub numbers if cablecos and the providers decide to play nice with each other while Dish plays hardball? Who would be willing to switch to Dish then? AMC may lose in the short term, but I do think that Dish loses in the long term. All because of emotions and not negotiations.

Really? How small was it? Did you see the numbers released by Dish? Oh, that's right, Dish didn't release the numbers.

Logic dictates that it wasn't small, based on Nielsen ratings that put it firmly in the top 20 at number 16. So, it appears that you are merely just arbitrarily siding with Dish despite published facts disagreeing with their statements.

I've said this before, and I'll say this again. the arguments used against AMC Networks can easily be used against nearly every other content provider.
Most of whom have lower viewership than AMC.
Sure we want to keep our subscription prices low. But at what price? I know negotiations fail, but not to have any negotiations at all tells me that Dish doesn't think as much of it's customers as many think. Would Dish customers be happy with the price they're currently paying today five years from now, but with 25% or 30% less channels? Are you willing to accept less from Dish because you can get the content you want elsewhere? What happens to Dish's sub numbers if cablecos and the providers decide to play nice with each other while Dish plays hardball? Who would be willing to switch to Dish then?
Those are extremely cogent points that you made.
AMC may lose in the short term, but I do think that Dish loses in the long term. All because of emotions and not negotiations.
Agreed. There were no negotiations. Although, the droppage of AMC does appear to be part of a different, upcoming negotiation, which may end up with the return of AMC after all is said and done.

......Logic dictates that it wasn't small, based on Nielsen ratings that put it firmly in the top 20 at number 16. So, it appears that you are merely just arbitrarily siding with Dish despite published facts disagreeing with their statements.

Actually, Nielsen provides nation wide results, which may or may not be the same for Dish subscribers. And don't overlook that there are posts here from dealers stating they haven't rec'd complaints about AMC going away. So there's plenty of doubt about their popularity with Dish subscribers. Of course, that is easy for me to say as I rarely watched them. Someone who watches regularly is of course going to tend to see them as more popular and valuable. But no provider is going to provide everything everyone wants - it would cost too much.

..... Although, the droppage of AMC does appear to be part of a different, upcoming negotiation, which may end up with the return of AMC after all is said and done.

It certainly does look that way, doesn't it?

Mochuf said:
I've said this before, and I'll say this again. the arguments used against AMC Networks can easily be used against nearly every other content provider. Sure we want to keep our subscription prices low. But at what price? I know negotiations fail, but not to have any negotiations at all tells me that Dish doesn't think as much of it's customers as many think. Would Dish customers be happy with the price they're currently paying today five years from now, but with 25% or 30% less channels? Are you willing to accept less from Dish because you can get the content you want elsewhere? What happens to Dish's sub numbers if cablecos and the providers decide to play nice with each other while Dish plays hardball? Who would be willing to switch to Dish then? AMC may lose in the short term, but I do think that Dish loses in the long term. All because of emotions and not negotiations.

The flip side is, five years from now, would consumers be ok with paying 25-30% more than what they currently pay for subscriptions? TV bills have far outpaced inflation in recent years with almost no signs of letting up. Eventually, it will reach a tipping point for the average consumer.

i hope this is true, as Dish needs to settle this and the Disney suit right now before long term damage is done. some long term damage is already done to dish but it's only 11 channels, 7 of which is the CableVision/MSG/AMC Networks cable channels and the other 4 are Disney. these channels being remove have lost Dish a bunch of customers and they really don't need to lose even more or have it prevent them from gaining more new customers.

All companies prefer to settle rather than see, even a "slam-dink" case that almost assures a win in court for them, continuing to pay those very, very, very expensive legal fees and not focusing on making money from their product or service. While they may not have been talks regarding rates, there was certainly communications regarding SETTLEMENT, and that's what this is about.

Yes, AMC wants to settle, too, but the problem is that Dish thinks AMC's settlement terms are too expensive of constraining. AMC would be pleased if they could get sufficient cash as restitution and new carriage rates at better rates to them with even guarantees that Dish carry any future AMC channels and provide them all in HD (and maybe even pay extra for the HD feed), and whatever else they can get to strengthen the access and numbers of AMC channels, so the company can look good for the long-term so they can get higher ad rates, show growth and increased revenue going forward, not a one-time cash infusion (in a few payment, no doubt) court victory. It's all about their business and Wall Street in the long run and enhancing AMC's brand and offering that translate into things they can really brag about and get richer with in the long run.

I think that you have that wrong. Tree-ring study proves that climate was WARMER in Roman and Medieval times than it is in the modern industrial age | Mail Online Let me fix it for you.;)
"There's a better chance that Global Cooling will freeze the surface of the earth before VOOM makes a return.":D

Not to get to far off on a tangent but I really like the listed author of the article i.e., "Science Reporter". It truly lends credence to the article. :rolleyes: I didn't watch a lot of the AMC Networks but I never really noticed much of the Voom content on those channels. Unless there was some legal limitation, you would think if the Voom content was so appealing that at least some of it would have been used on the AMC Networks because there was also a lot of crap programming on the AMC Networks as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts