Voom Settlement?

I always like to read what the 'analysts' think. Most times they are wrong, but they do make for good stories.

AMC may or may not come back to Dish, but I don't think the 'analysts' know any more than you or I do, and their guesswork certainly isn't any better.

I dont honestly believe that the removal had anything to do with the costs. As far as I know DISH did not have any talks with them about price after they notified them they were planning on taking down the channels. I do not believe (and I could be wrong) that there were ANY negoations going on.

Sorry Scott but I have a feeling that there are many things that you don't find out. This may very well be one of them. They really don't inform the press on much of this so that they have more power in relation to how they negotiate a contract. They use the press when they need an additional tool. And you are now considered press more than a close friend.

VOOM is gone, but they still own all the VOOM programming so some hope it is possible they can create some new channels using their existing library.

Scott Greczkowski said:
VOOM is gone, but they still own all the VOOM programming so some hope it is possible they can create some new channels using their existing library.

But the lawsuit isn't preventing them from doing just that. They can already try to start new channels with the content or move it over to existing channels if they chose.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They could I am sure, to me that just shows poor management at AMC. :)

This is all speculation on my part, but:

I actually think its tactical. Generally you have a duty to mitigate damages when a party breaches a contract with you. By saying Voom cannot survive without Dish and ending the service completely, AMC is for all intents saying its impossible to mitigate the damages we should get the full contract price. Starting new channels or incorporating the content into existing channels could be characterized as mitigation and would weaken their claim for full damages. I'm not sure if this lack of mitigation strategy will actually work, if I was Dish I would argue that there is still a duty mitigate. But I suspect that might be why we haven't seen anything done with the Voom content.

This is all speculation on my part, but:

I actually think its tactical. Generally you have a duty to mitigate damages when a party breaches a contract with you. By saying Voom cannot survive without Dish and ending the service completely, AMC is for all intents saying its impossible to mitigate the damages we should get the full contract price. Starting new channels or incorporating the content into existing channels could be characterized as mitigation and would weaken their claim for full damages. I'm not sure if this lack of mitigation strategy will actually work, if I was Dish I would argue that there is still a duty mitigate. But I suspect that might be why we haven't seen anything done with the Voom content.

I think you're right. Dish losing their damages expert probably hurts their chances of making this case.

Voom will argue they have lost $3-$6 per month for every Dish HD subscriber over the life of the contract, and throw in some for lost potential revenue they would have had from other contracts since Dish's actions forced them to shut down. Subscriber projections will be based on current counts and trends.

The reality is they would not have had any other takers at the rates Dish was paying. If they did get other contracts, Dish's rate would likely have gone down due to MFN. If they didn't get other contracts, Dish's HD subs would be significantly reduced due to being over priced and the inability to carry other HD content.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you have to wonder what Dish was on when they signed the agreement.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you have to wonder what Dish was on when they signed the agreement.

One just has to look at AT&T/T-Mobile... Dish managed to both take out a competitor, and get their satellite TPs and satellite... Yeah it could cost them an extra billion or two to settle this dispute, but they probably end up ahead by a long shot. Eastern Arc would not be there if it were not for VOOM's takeover. Converting all the Western Arc to 8PSK, MPEG-4 and building much more complex spot beam satellites to make up for it, would cost more. I would speculate even if they paid VOOM 2 billion to settle that they came out ahead. 30 million legacy boxes to convert at $100 each (100 is probably low when you consider including shipping, installation and dish upgrades) is 3 billion dollars they would have already had to have spent to just keep up with DIRECTV. This does not even count how much more expensive the spot beam satellites would have to be, and launch risks.

I thought that VOOM has gone out of business. If this is so how in the world can it come back?

VOOM went out of business but the original ownership (Cablevision) is still extant and theoretically could try to revive it. I persoanlly think there is no buiness case to justify it but it is possible. BTW I would not be so sure that they still own the programming. the rights may have expired or been sold elsewhere.

I always like to read what the 'analysts' think. Most times they are wrong, but they do make for good stories.
It's a coin toss. They can flip a coin and write a story saying "company x will settle" or "company x will not settle" and half the time odds are they'll be right !

...is Rainbow trying to say, Dish dropping Voom lead to its demise?
There may be some small, obscure, local cable company that carried VOOM (though I doubt that), but otherwise, no outside provider carried VOOM. Only Cablevision and Dish carried them. Directv didn't, Time Warner didn't, Comcast, didn't, etc, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts