Voom Settlement?

Mojo Jojo said:
Could Dish add some Canadian Voom channels to repair this? :canada: Dish could make this mess go va va voom (I cannot believe I just typed that--:redface:). If that could happen, the following would be possibilities:
eqhd
Oasis TV
radX
HIFI
Rush HD [other places]

I am just thinking it may be possible since stores sell Canadian DVDs of movies since they are also Region 1. Probably will not happen, though...Anyway, the one I would like to see revived is Monsters HD.

I like your thinking.
OasisHD is a nice channel but it's not Voom
eqHD
RushHD
Plus others you mentioned are the Canadian Voom
Going under the HiFi name.
They licensed programming from the original
Voom networks.
Not sure they would be allowed to broadcast in
The States. Canada is very strict about it.

Teehar said:
afaik Dish still uses the workaround dvr technology.That was one thing I was disappointed about after the settlement.Was really hoping for a return to the tivo style dvr tech.

When I said Charlie can now use TiVo's DVR trickplay technologies, instead of his own, it has nothing to do with your "TiVo experience" or the user interface. It is something at a very high level and not visible to the end user.

It is possible the settlement only allowed him to implement such technologies in new DVRs, not existing or old ones.

Back to the topic, my point is, litigations are never one sided or predictable. I recall when the court slammed Dish for destroying the emails, therefore gave VOOM a clear edge in the upcoming jury trial, it also planted a single sentence in the decision, basically calling the agreement between Dish and VOOM ambiguous.

If indeed the court deemed the agreement ambiguous, then the court will not be able to enforce it, regardless what Dish says, or what VOOM says about the agreement.

I also read the other thread where the court papers showed VOOM at the time of dispute with Dish, offered DirecTV a 5-channel pack, but DirecTV did not bite. If it was true, VOOM will have lost a lot of credibility in this litigation because Dish pleaded to them to change the package to a 5-channel pack.

Although one can always argue he has the right to stick to an earlier agreement, the court and the jury must decide whether he did so in good faith or not.

Geronimo said:
no not really. the point is VOOM may noot have ANY tights. Jumoing back in may not be as easy as many of you are asserting.
Most if not all rush hd programming was original programming for which they have rights to it. The same with gallery. they do have a library of programming that the acquired

When I said Charlie can now use TiVo's DVR trickplay technologies, instead of his own, it has nothing to do with your "TiVo experience" or the user interface. It is something at a very high level and not visible to the end user.

It is possible the settlement only allowed him to implement such technologies in new DVRs, not existing or old ones.

You said the equipment didn't have enough cpu to use the old workaround.Sure seems to me that they do because they are still using it.;)

My tivo experience is zilch.I am talking about how the dvr/pvrs used to be before the workaround.The point being even after the settlement dish never went back to the previous (tivo) style.

Most if not all rush hd programming was original programming for which they have rights to it. The same with gallery. they do have a library of programming that the acquired

From what I've read, NatGeo bought up most of it...Rush, that is.

Last edited:
Teehar said:
You said the equipment didn't have enough cpu to use the old workaround.Sure seems to me that they do because they are still using it.;)

My tivo experience is zilch.I am talking about how the dvr/pvrs used to be before the workaround.The point being even after the settlement dish never went back to the previous (tivo) style.

What I meant was, the new DVRs such as the Hopper, have much more demanding tasks and need more CPU power, the Dish's workaround would have consumed too much CPU power for the Hopper to work properly, or even if it can work, would consume too much energy so the users would not accept it.

Basically I was speculating the motivation behind Charlie's settling with TiVo, rather keeping the fight.

As someone who never experienced voom and since voom doesn't exist, some have posted that with litigation AMC could come back but some type of voom programming?
There's only a few people dreaming (fantasizing) about VOOM programming returning. They'll just never let it die...

If there was a settlement, I wonder if AMC would be back soon, with the investment they did with the Rokus I figured AMC would be off for a while

Maybe. Although KAB thinks otherwise. But I was discussing specific VOOM channels and RUSH was not one of them.

i never got to see voom either. i heard it was an awesome group of channels. us horror fans do need something else besides just chiller. chiller would be a better channel if it was in HD.

Yea when the voom service was available I was with a different provider and I did not have dish when they picked up the channels

i never got to see voom either. i heard it was an awesome group of channels. us horror fans do need something else besides just chiller. chiller would be a better channel if it was in HD.

At one time, it was an awesome group of channels. But in the later days it had gotten to be reruns of reruns with little change in programming and made itself pretty worthless.

gpollock87 said:

I used to love Chiller when it first came out. I am upset that they no longer play older shows like Tales from the Crypt (although I have all the seasons except the last one). The picture quality of Chiller really is not the best. I think it looks better on Dish than it did on D*. The colors looked washed out on D*.

I used to love Chiller when it first came out. I am upset that they no longer play older shows like Tales from the Crypt (although I have all the seasons except the last one). The picture quality of Chiller really is not the best. I think it looks better on Dish than it did on D*. The colors looked washed out on D*.
i really just watch it for the old shows. tales from the darkside,twilight zone.etc. i do watch a few of the movies though.

At one time, it was an awesome group of channels. But in the later days it had gotten to be reruns of reruns with little change in programming and made itself pretty worthless.

Except RAVE. They had new concerts all the time and new episodes of Jools Holland, which I miss the most. And NO commercials like Palladia(!)

That, and La Liga on WorldSports....but we're way past that, now.....

There's only a few people dreaming (fantasizing) about VOOM programming returning. They'll just never let it die...

Your right on that one! Im one of those folks who is keeping hope alive!
Not sure why some people don't realize that Voom had some great unique
programming. Some of which was the best looking HD I've seen to date.

So, its a shame to lose ''any'' HD channels whether you like the channels
or not. Someone out there enjoys them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)