Voom Settlement?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Okay, as much as I loved VOOM there is no way the channels are coming back...even with a settlement. Here's a song to anyone who thinks otherwise. :D

I Thinks it more them just dreaming. :eek:
Maybe someone is hanging out with someone like Charlie Sheen too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad truth is that if the VOOM programming had ratings someone would have already recreated the channels that were popular. It is not like CVC/VOOM/AMC had an exclusive on the content and if they really paid off they would be reproduced. Also if the channels had high ratings, Dish would never have dropped them. Even if the content was exclusive CVC would have been able to make a new non VOOM channel that had the popular shows to make money.

VOOM love is nostalgia in action.

The sad truth is that if the VOOM programming had ratings someone would have already recreated the channels that were popular. It is not like CVC/VOOM/AMC had an exclusive on the content and if they really paid off they would be reproduced. VOOM love is nostalgia in action.

Since VOOM was pretty much an exclusive on Dish Network, I doubt more than million or two folks had access to these channels when they folded 4+ years ago.

Also if the channels had high ratings, Dish would never have dropped them.
Just like Dish never would drop AMC even though Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc. had some of the higest rated shows in Cabledom? Of course Dish would have dropped VOOM...Dish agreed to pay way too much for VOOM HD and, since VOOM was not schlocking their channels to others and therefore Dish was not partaking in any of VOOMs profits, they decided to pull the plug on VOOM and let the courts decided how much the deal was worth.

The bottom line is we have no idea how many subscribers were watching VOOM...just that Dish said, "not many." Of course, Dish also said that few people were watching AMC, IFC and WE...and I'm not buying the corporate line.

Since VOOM was pretty much an exclusive on Dish Network, I doubt more than million or two folks had access to these channels when they folded 4+ years ago.
You do know the dolans did show VOOM on their own cable system optimum, I don't remember if it was before or after Dish.

Just like Dish never would drop AMC even though Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc. had some of the higest rated shows in Cabledom? Of course Dish would have dropped VOOM...Dish agreed to pay way too much for VOOM HD and, since VOOM was not schlocking their channels to others and therefore Dish was not partaking in any of VOOMs profits, they decided to pull the plug on VOOM and let the courts decided how much the deal was worth.

The bottom line is we have no idea how many subscribers were watching VOOM...just that Dish said, "not many." Of course, Dish also said that few people were watching AMC, IFC and WE...and I'm not buying the corporate line.

Well, I think IFC and WE did have low viewership. Aside from maybe Portlandia, name another remotely popular show on either of those. And outside a AMC's 3 hits, name another popular show on AMC. Averaging out, I bet all 3 were low-watched networks.

One (unproveable) theory I have is that Mad Men and Breaking Bad are, in fact, the result of Voom. Cablevision had a guaranteed line of income that they had to put very little effort into. And face it, pre Mad Men, AMC had commercial loaded reruns of old movies, and Cablevision's other properties were hardly burning up the ratings. But having a big contract with Dish enabled them to take a HUGE risk on some goofy pilots about 1960s advertising and a meth-cooking teacher. To me, AMC's hit shows and ratings are most likely the result of Voom.

And some of you doubt some Voom channels were low watched? Raise your hand if you honestly were a regualar viewer of HDNews. Or Animania. Or Treasure. Or Gallery. Or Gameplay.

Don't hold your breath, but at the same time, remember, anything is possible.

Often times when someone offers an absolute answer, he gets to be wrong. We learned it so many times during the TiVo v. Dish days.:)

You do know the dolans did show VOOM on their own cable system optimum, I don't remember if it was before or after Dish.

Yep, but I recall their appearance being short lived...survived 6-7 months after Dish pulled the plug, and I I don't recall if they were on Cablevision prior to that time...but certainly was not a long time.

Well, I think IFC and WE did have low viewership. Aside from maybe Portlandia, name another remotely popular show on either of those. And outside a AMC's 3 hits, name another popular show on AMC. Averaging out, I bet all 3 were low-watched networks.

One (unproveable) theory I have is that Mad Men and Breaking Bad are, in fact, the result of Voom. Cablevision had a guaranteed line of income that they had to put very little effort into. And face it, pre Mad Men, AMC had commercial loaded reruns of old movies, and Cablevision's other properties were hardly burning up the ratings. But having a big contract with Dish enabled them to take a HUGE risk on some goofy pilots about 1960s advertising and a meth-cooking teacher. To me, AMC's hit shows and ratings are most likely the result of Voom.

Very interesting theory about VOOM being a catalyst for AMC's scripted dramas. Offhand, I think AMC would be inclined to move in that direction since they could show all the movies on the VOOM channels, and repeat as necessary. Of course, even without VOOM, the competition (TNT, USA, MTV, etc.) was headed in that direction by creating original scripted dramas and low-budget reality shows so it may just be a coincidence.

And some of you doubt some Voom channels were low watched? Raise your hand if you honestly were a regualar viewer of HDNews. Or Animania. Or Treasure. Or Gallery. Or Gameplay.

HDNews (check)
Animania (daughter)
GamePlay (check)

I watched many of the VOOM channels and certainly liked having them available as options, but for the life of me, I couldn't confidently name any of them from memory.

After the 1st couple of months, the only thing I watched was Worldsport for CFL games. I would occasionally catch a movie on Monsters or one of the others, but the channels were regularly skipped as I scrolled thru the guide and eventually I hid them in the guide once the repeats started.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)