VOOM SIGNAL HELP: Baltimore

ryounglaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
NEED HELP. I live in the Federal Hill area of Baltimore City. I am ready to get VOOM but I an leery about losing the major networks I current have with Comcast HD. I am worried that the tall building around me will block the OTA signal. Any suggestions on how to check? The VOOM guy suggested that if the channels don’t come in to not sign the contract after the install. I think that’s pretty wrong to do. Also, is there anyone out there in Baltimore with VOOM? What major network shows are broadcast in HD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Short of buying a Spectrum Analyzer, here are your other alternatives:

1. Ask your neighbors if they have OTA? Since you're in Baltimore City (BTW, my wife is originally from Baltimore City and always corrects me when I call it Baltimore!) then signal strength will not be an issue. I receive digital OTA from Baltimore City (90+ miles) much of the time between Mar-Oct. Your issues will most likely be affected by multipath. Anyway, if your neighbors are receiving a reliable signal then the odds are pretty good that you will too.

2. You may very well be able to receive your digital locals by using an inexpensive indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor. Assuming you don't already have an OTA tuner, you may wish to purchase an open box Samsung OTA tuner at Best Buy and later return it if you're comfortable with this idea.

3. In my opinion, have VOOM install the system and, as the VOOM guy stated, do not accept service if he cannot get OTA to work to your level of satisfaction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this since you are making a sincere attempt subscribe to the VOOM service.

4. Also, if this is an option and you can afford to do so...you may look at subscribing to a 'Lifeline' cable subscription, which typically includes your local channels and a few public access channels. The lifeline package typically isn't advertised and will vary in price depending on your cable provider. I've seen then as cheap as $9.95 and as expensive at $35; it's $19.95 in my area.

Good Luck...

Ok. You are in Federal Hill area. ALL of the major networks except UPN have transmitter towers on "Television Hill". "Television Hill" is North of you on the JFX. About 3 - 5 miles away... depending on where in Federal Hill you are. In your case, I'd be more worried about being able to see the voom satellite than being able to get the OTA.

Anyway, my advice to you is very simple and very cheap. Find a 3-10 buck pair of rabbit ears, if you don't already have some somewhere in the house, and hook it up. If you can get signal from that, you'll definately be able to get OTA with the voom setup. (don't worry too much about fuzz with the rabbit ears. The OTA antenna that they'll give you is much better than the stupid rabit ears. The rabit ears is just to "detect" the OTA, not to actually watch it.)

--Doku

Ryan,

Did you go through with the voom installation? I live in Lutherville and am looking into voom now and would like to here how a local install went.

John

John,
The voom installation was problematic but it was not the fault of the installer. I had a two person crew and they were absolutely wonderful people. They were helpful and efficient. However, when the install was done and the box was hooked up it didn’t work. They played with it for about an hour or two then said they would have to come back with a new box. The guy went to the next job and then drove to DC and back to bring me a new box. Once the new box was hooked up it didn’t work. The guy then went through all the connections for another hour or two and found that one connection was not fully connected. Then everything worked. I really don’t blame the guy. Anyone can make a mistake. They were polite and apologetic about how long the install took. But sometimes things go wrong and you just can’t do anything about it. I still would recommend going through with it. It is just hot or miss with the install. You have the same problems with Comcast, I LIVE IN THE CITY (its all subcontractors).

Installers

ryounglaw said:
NEED HELP. I live in the Federal Hill area of Baltimore City. I am ready to get VOOM but I an leery about losing the major networks I current have with Comcast HD. I am worried that the tall building around me will block the OTA signal. Any suggestions on how to check? The VOOM guy suggested that if the channels don’t come in to not sign the contract after the install. I think that’s pretty wrong to do. Also, is there anyone out there in Baltimore with VOOM? What major network shows are broadcast in HD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan who is the install company there?

I am not sure its been a while. i know they are from DC. Sorry. If you give the name of who is doing yours i can tell if its the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts