Voom STB chooses SD over HD from my local NBC

rrobe99999

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Destin, Fl
Forgive me if this is a repost. I get NBC OTA, but it usually comes in SD instead of HD. Here's what the station engineer wrote:

We broadcast 2 services on our Digital channel. WPMI-HD is broadcast on
47-3/15-1 and WPMI-SD is broadcast on 47-2/15-2. VOOM has had some issues with the Motorola STB's being able to pick up both channels independantly. When we were broadcasting the Olympics in HD when we turned off our SD signal the Motorola STB's defaulted tothe HD channel but back to the SD channel when we turned the SD back on.We had been
working with their engineers but I have not heard back from them in a
few weeks. VOOM's service is the only STB's that seem to have the problem because they interpret the PSIP data differently than other manufacturers. When I get back in the office I will attempt to contact them again.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? As usual Voom does not provide any help. The only help I ever get is from you guys.

Have you tried doing OTA scan?
Also, keep in mind that most programs on NBC are still SD, even on the HD channel.
Look for programs that are specifically identified as HD in the program guide.

47-3/15-1 and WPMI-SD is broadcast on 47-2/15-2.
This looks like your problem, is voom tuning to ch 47 or 15? The HD channel should be assigned -1.

Yes, this channel is mapped as 15-1. OTA scan did not help. PG list certain shows in HD but they come in SD. The only HD I've seen was the olympics. Based on what the station engineer wrote, this is because they turned of the SD signal. Somehow the SD signal overrides the HD signal. I guess this problem is limited to WPMI, but seems to effect all Voom veiwers in their area. The email I got seemed like a "canned" response that has been sent to other people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts