Voom STB question on resolution

gonzo719

Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
i own a sony KV-34XBR910 HDTV - this sets native resolution is 1080i/480p - my question is what do i set my STB resolution to ? i am asking this because fox broadcasts in 480p - and i dont want my STB to upconvert to 1080i.

Can it handle 720p at all? If yes, set the STB to "Native", if not, 1080i-fixed is your only choice.
Welcome to the forum!

Then set it to "Native" mode (all 4 bars lit). 480p will show up as 480p; 1080i will show up as 1080i, and your TV set will convert 720p to 1080i!

gonzo719 said:
thanks man.

Im glad you posted this question. I still dont get why you would not want to set it to 1080I. Doesnt that just mean the differance from the STB converting it vs the sony converting it?
My wega also ups the 780 to 1080 but I leave my STB in 1080 always mode.
I think it looks better and dont get wierd picture bouncing from 480-1080 as I did with native sometimes.

I'd go nuts with my projector on auto DVI and watching it constantly re-synch all the time. Plasma no problemo.

My TV actually does a better job of converting 1080i programs to 720p than the voom box does, same for converting 480 up to 720. However, I do not like the program guide in anything but the 720p, as it is either riddled with deinterlace errors (if 1080i), or very blurry (if 480p/i), so I keep my STB at 720p. The PQ difference is actually only marginally detectable, so the trade off is worth it.

CraziFuzzy said:
My TV actually does a better job of converting 1080i programs to 720p than the voom box does, same for converting 480 up to 720. However, I do not like the program guide in anything but the 720p, as it is either riddled with deinterlace errors (if 1080i), or very blurry (if 480p/i), so I keep my STB at 720p. The PQ difference is actually only marginally detectable, so the trade off is worth it.

So does that meen I should go back to all lights lit or leave with top one 1080 Only with my sony wega that does auto 780-1080?:

My projector has to resynch all the time but it only takes a second or two, plus if I leave it on a set output like 1080i, I have no stretch/zoom controls. On the rare occasion that I watch SD I like to watch it in "Through" mode, where I get a smaller picture with a 1:1 pixel mapping of the actual resolution, it looks much better this way.

DarrellP said:
My projector has to resynch all the time but it only takes a second or two, plus if I leave it on a set output like 1080i, I have no stretch/zoom controls.

Ours work in a similar fashion. I guess I find the 1 to 2 second synch rather annoying especially if channel surfing. Besides, my PJ is scaling everything anyhow since it's 16:9 resolution is 1024*576 and with an interlaced signal the 'sweet vision' of the NEC is invoked. I do miss the days before HDCP over DVI since I could use my scaler which let me have control over basic brightness/contrast on DVI which the NEC doesn't ( it does allow individual RGB brightness/contrast though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)