VOOM STB Version 00.05.68: Features/Bugs/Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned the CC back on last night and didn't notice any black bar flashes....I guess they fixed it yesterday....HD=Voom

I had a program in the Planner for Monday night, the timer fired but I ended up recording CBS instead of PlayboyHD. Later that morning, the correct channel came up. Anyone else having Planner "misfires" (No pun intended).

DarrellP,
Yes, a similar problem has been reported in Yahoo. Any idea how to reproduce it? Doesn't seem to happen often.

No idea, since that was the only time I've used it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the Planner "power-on" be the default? It seems like this should be the default anyway.

Feature requests:

1. Please make the main guide begin at the currently viewed channel, not always starting at channel 100. I know that the surf guide does this, but it takes too long to view one channel at a time. And I think this has already been requested, please make the guides transparent, or at least make it an option. Both of these requests should be able to be handled easily in the system settings.

2. The guide needs a lot of work. It should cover at least 2 hours on a single screen with the time increments marked, as well as an indicator showing the user where he is in time currently.

3. The guide should be a single button hit that does not require hitting the "Voom" button first. I know there are ways around this, but it should work this way by default. "Guide" and "menu" should be two independent buttons.

4. Assign a "clear screen" button somewhere. This is desperately needed, as it is a royal pain to keep using the "back" button over and over again until the screen is cleared.

Bug report:

1. S-video output sync signal needs work. It does not sync up properly to an InFocus X1, yet 6 other s-video sources have synced up properly, so I have to assume that something is funky with the Voom box's sync.

2. High definition output from the component outputs is not being scaled correctly by the Voom box, requiring aspect ratio adjustment from the display device. Once again, all other HD sources display correctly on the same projector, so I must assume that something is awry with the Voom 1080i signal.

Edit: It looks like this is not a bug after all, but is actually very poor engineering. Voom is assuming that every HD display device is formatted 16:9, and this is simply not the case. Front projectors, for example, come both in 16:9 and 4:3 varieties, and Voom needs to provide a control that selects the aspect ratio of the display device, and then allows the user to control the AR from there.

3. IRD still locks up for no apparent reason.

4. Some channels blacked out, but returning to them makes them appear.

5. Pixelization on channel changes still needs to be addressed.

6. Audio dropouts still need fixing.

agreed

Having the PG go back to the start each time is counter intuitive. It should start up where you left off. I'd also like to see how many minutes are left in any program.

Does anyone else find it irritating that the Surf direction is opposite between the Surf Bar and the Guide? I'm so used to going DOWN in the Guide to get to a higher channel number that when I have the Surf Bar showing, I always go the wrong way since you have to push UP to go up. :(

Here's another one: In the Planner, put the total time for the show. To record, I have to add a show to the planner then set the recording time on my DVHS recorder and I always have to go back through the Surf Bar to the time of the show to find out the length if I forgot it or didn't set the recorder's timer first.

Has anyone tried the conflict resolution with the Planner yet? If so, how does it work?

I would like to make a few request. Things I had in other receivers before.

1. The guide be able to switch to view more channels at once.
2. A search menu to be able to find a program at a later time. Guide Search, by credits, title, text, category
3. Automatically bring up the channel guide without having to hit all channels button.
4. Have a reminder setting to view a program you select for a later time.
5. Be able to change aspect ratio within the receiver.
6. Be able to manually enter an OTA channel.
7. DVR! With a good sized hard drive at no extra costs.
8. On-screen Caller ID Number

Here's another annoying Surf Bar bug: After pressing Info to see what the show is about, I can't press Enter to view it, I have to press UP/Down or Right/Left to "unstick" it then I can press Enter.

DarrellP said:
Here's another annoying Surf Bar bug: After pressing Info to see what the show is about, I can't press Enter to view it, I have to press UP/Down or Right/Left to "unstick" it then I can press Enter.

I think I'm reading this correctly.

You can just press the 'watch' button or the 'info' twice more to view.

Thanks, it still seems like a bug to me, it's too many buttons to have to push just to watch a show.

Here's another funky thing considering the Guide: When I pull up my Favorites and hit Page, it moves a page, but it loops back and forth between my local ch 2 and the Voom Cinema 10's 2 or 3 times, then starts going backward in the list from the higher numbers down to the lower numbers. This Guide interface needs major reprogramming.

NO sh*t? I did not know that, no wonder I'm so frickin confused. Sometimes it would go up and sometimes it would go down and sometimes it goes back and forth. CRAP! Wasch_24, you just cured 95% of my VOOM headaches, thank you, sir!!! Boy do I feel dumb! I guess I am the one who needs major reprogramming :yes

DarrellP, don't feel bad. Many of us were confused by this Page button at one time or another. It is not obvious, especially when you have a Back button that looks the same but has only one action whether you press it up or down. I think VOOM should change the label of the Page button on the remote to indicate Up and Down directions.

DarrellP said:
NO sh*t? I did not know that, no wonder I'm so frickin confused. Sometimes it would go up and sometimes it would go down and sometimes it goes back and forth. CRAP! Wasch_24, you just cured 95% of my VOOM headaches, thank you, sir!!! Boy do I feel dumb! I guess I am the one who needs major reprogramming :yes
Yep. It took me a little while to notice it as well.

;) My button on the right of OK will scroll up the PG 5 channels per page and the button on the left side I use for back to the previous channel. My wife found this feature after the upgrade software....Leave it to a women they seem to know everything.
HD=Voom :D

DarrellP said:
I was on the same boat my 1st 3 weeks of VOOM. If you figure out the re-programming part let me know because I may also need it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)