Voom to stay HDLITE in MPEG 4

With the sudden, major push to supplying HD Local affiliate channels - bandwidth is suddenly scarce again. Any savings in bandwidth can go toward adding the networks for additional markets. Unfortunately, they seem to be defying their earlier statements that HD LILs aren't projected to be profitable beyond the Top 20 markets.

Yeah true! If they arent going to make money they thought they were. Then they wont change anything anytime soon.

The irony is that D* and E* are standing in a forest of new true 1920x1080 HDTV sets at CES while proclaiming that people don't own sets that show a difference between 1920x1080 vs 1280x1080.

<snip> Dish is not strapped for space putting up mpeg2 HD, mpeg4 HD in 1280x1080i is just stupid, they are doing it from the start becuase folks will never know what True HDTV is, all the new folks that sign up for mpeg4 locals will be buffallo'd and never know what true HDTV is like.

Oh yes they will if they can watch OTA locals. My CBS affiliate is broadcasting in 1920x1080i at 15 mb/s and it looks a he** of a lot better than E*'s CBS-HD. Yeah, I know some people can't see it (like my wife) but I sure can.

.....G

HD Locals

If the new Voom channels are gonna stay HD-Lite even in Mpeg4, does that mean that the local HD channels will also be displayed down rezed?= come feb. 1st?

Ohhhhh you better beleive those locals will be compressed quite a bit. If they are compressing everything else AND adding subchannels (why they are is beyond me btw) the expect it with the locals. Heck even the E and W CBS feeds are already downrezzed so that would indicate all local HDs will be also.

Reefer123 said:
Ohhhhh you better beleive those locals will be compressed quite a bit. If they are compressing everything else AND adding subchannels (why they are is beyond me btw) the expect it with the locals. Heck even the E and W CBS feeds are already downrezzed so that would indicate all local HDs will be also.

Why bother doing subchannels? Seriously the ONLY station I know of that does subchannels is PAX and I'm sure that's because with their small viewership it's best to maximize the amount of channels in hopes of drawing in more religious viewers who have seen this episode or that though like the 3 are cloned even, for what reason I don't know but the rest are just broadcasting in digital, even the ONLY other non-HD channel, see not PAX. I will say I'd almost prefer they upconvert from 480i to 480p or whatever because the picture isn't pleasant to look at. Sadly even UPN or the other station around here, even though it broadcasts in digital they don't air "Enterprise" in WS 480p. Why? I don't know.
Can someone explain to me why Direct and Dish don't just cut the crap and SPLIT the cost of creating ONE satellite location dedicated entirely to HD LiL's? Far as I'm concerned it's win-win. Have both sides agree to output the affliates in true HD since in the near future it looks like they're going to be required by the NAB to do it anyway and this would minimize cost. Let's be honest and say that going for HD LiL's does nothing but hurt the Satellite providers in terms of giving more HD selection as compared to Cable and if bandwidth space on Cable can't touch Satellite then I'll venture forth FioS as a risk.

Tom Bombadil said:
My goodness gracious!

Representatives from this forum told Dish, when they had a chance to chat face to face with a highest level Dish executive, that we would rather have more channels than true HD???!!??!?!?!!!?!??

I can't believe this.

After a month of hundreds of forum members screaming the exact oppostive!!!

How in the world did *ANY* reader of these forums come to that conclusion???

At this point, those in this forum who advocate for true HD, don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to arguing with Dish. We had our letter writing campaign. Dish sat down with multiple forum representatives, and they agreed that HD-lite was the better solution.

I agree. What a complete, utter joke. It's like someone lost all their integrity when being in the company of celebrities.

Also, the implication that you can't tell the difference between 1280 x 1080 versus 1920 x 1080 on lower resolution TVs is also false. Even on "ED" (480p) projectors, the difference is easily apparent. I have a 65" TV which can display 1080i and projector with a 120" screen which is 480p. Both easily show the difference, even though the projector is obviously incapable of displaying the full resolution of HD. When the original signal is of higher quality, it is apparent even on lower resolution displays. That's why even on 480p projectors (good) HD looks significantly better than even the best DVDs. The lower res Voom channels however often look worse than DVDs.

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
If you guys were pub members you would know why these so called Mpeg4 are HD-Lite ;)
cough up the dough and support the site and get a bombshell
-Gary
You might as well post the "bombshell" here Gary as long as you've posted it on AVS programming forum! Makes one wonder what other surprises Chuck will come up with!

boy I sure am glad everyone has just came right out and connected the post at the AVS to Sat Guys, Thanks Guys, I will be gone before this evening is over

Per Sat Guys Wishes I had no intention of anyone here ever knowing where the info came from

-Gary

Poke said:
Yes I agree with you that E* and D* have something to do with it. I just think that not all the Networks Channels broadcast things the same is all. Oh ok I see so it's just the resolution then yes they do need to try to keep it at the standard then if they can. If they dont then yes then it is on their end I'm with you know. :)

So then finally you understand why your post (the one above which hails the comingnof more non-HD HD-lite channels) above was kinda silly? :p

CPanther95 said:
Giving an outlet for subchannels is far more damaging to the HD "cause" than any HD-Lite they are considering.

Why is that? It's already losing bandwidth for the main channel at the source, how can converting it to DVB make it any worse?

Like my old manager used to say at Hardees - "If we allow employees to eat the waste, there will be more waste to eat" - Never thought I would retain a fast food manager's wisdom for a lifetime, but that has stuck.

If local affiliates have no real outlet for their subchannels, the appeal of having subchannels will dry up. They are fighting like hell for multicast must-carry precisely to guarantee carriage of all their subchannels. Why maintain 3 or 4 channels if only the 15% OTA'ers can see them. As soon as you offer to carry them, the incentive to have them jumps dramatically.

So while carrying them, or not carrying them, has no direct impact on quality - it does entice those that have them to keep them - and those that don't to consider them.

CPanther95 said:
Like my old manager used to say at Hardees - "If we allow employees to eat the waste, there will be more waste to eat" - Never thought I would retain a fast food manager's wisdom for a lifetime, but that has stuck.

Ok, that's stuck in my head now. The key to the universe came from Hardees. Who knew? I may start a religion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts