Voom to stay HDLITE in MPEG 4

Stargazer said:
Do the HD locals have the same resolution as the HD-Lite channels or are they even worse?

Last I heard they were all still 1280 x 720, even CBS and NBC.:(

NightRyder

Are HD locals announced for those first 6 cities up now or not until Feb?

Will they also be MPEG2 restricted to only MPEG4 receivers ?

Does anyone know of any legal reason Dish could not make these available as HD DNS to non grade "B" subs now (or Feb 1st) instead of waiting until June ?

waltinvt said:
Does anyone know of any legal reason Dish could not make these available as HD DNS to non grade "B" subs now (or Feb 1st) instead of waiting until June ?

If D* can do it then Dish should be able to. I checked my qualifications on D* address broker and I qualify for all 4 out of market digital stations.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
If D* can do it then Dish should be able to. I checked my qualifications on D* address broker and I qualify for all 4 out of market digital stations.

NightRyder

Yea, that's the way I read it. Gripes the heck out of me everything I think of Charlie's statement about having to wait until June.

On the plus side, the CSR that called in responee to my "ceodish" email did say that Dish was really hoping to have most if not all of those 50 dmas they listed up with HD locals by March 1st. It surprised me because Vermont (which is # 90) is in that list of 50 and our Burlington afilliates aren't even transmitting digital OTA yet.

waltinvt said:
On the plus side, the CSR that called in responee to my "ceodish" email did say that Dish was really hoping to have most if not all of those 50 dmas they listed up with HD locals by March 1st. It surprised me because Vermont (which is # 90) is in that list of 50 and our Burlington afilliates aren't even transmitting digital OTA yet.

I hope this it true, Portland, not so surprising (#24), was on that list too. :hungry:

NightRyder

Has anyone recently checked the resolution of DISCOVERYHD? Last night it looked really different. all this HDLITE talk has me seeing things maybe.

is there a way to check the resolution and bitrate in the receiver (diag mode or something...) I now visually you can see a difference, although I think it's fine, and i'm more happy getting more *HD* channels framed right with surround sound at HD Lite resolutions (with a decent bitrate) than to get less channels at full hd resolution (and less bitrate i'm sure). I hope they can keep up with the new channels which are starting to broadcast in HD, push them to mpeg4 and save us dvr space (or give us the ability to archive to external usb hd's!)

The word is that it will remain in 1280x1080i mode while a problem with the fiber is resolved over the next few months. Supposedly, Dish is seriously considering a return to full HD for the VOOM channels sometime in late 2006.

How are you checking?

Kirby Baker said:
Not that I know of, no such diag mode in the receivers. I did test a soccer game yesterday on World Sport, it was HD lite, and around 13mbps from 61.5. Havent checked any others.

If there is no diag mode, how are you able to check this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts