VOOM Yahoogroups comes to SatelliteGuys!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys,

I am happy to announce that now you can read, post and reply to messages from the VOOM Yahoogroup here on SatelliteGuys.US!

I have been working hard on this behind the scenes and have come up with a way for you to read, post and reply to the Yahoogroup's without you even needing to be a member of the Yahoogroup.

The software still needs some improvements (i.e. there is currently no message threading) also if you look through the group you may notice some of the earlier messages are duplicated.

I would love to hear your feedback on this exciting new feature!

Thanks for being a SatelliteGuys Member!

Great Feature Scott!

It takes about 3 minutes from the time the message reaches your inbox to appear here at Satelliteguys.us.

Another thing is that we can moderate this site and delete unwanted/unrelated threads or post that has nothing to do with VOOM. So this is great and cool!

I forgot to mention that this will eliminate spam emails to your email accounts since it is not using your private emails. I will eliminate my account there shortly.

When you reply to the thread or post, it will only show your posting on Yahoo, not the entire thread. As long as the poster maintains the same subject in the thread, it will be kept on the same thread (I think this is how it works).

I currently have it set to pull the new messages every 5 minutes. Also it will send any new posts every 5 minutes as well.

As I mentioned above message threading does not yet work correctly, however it is something I am working on. :D

I feel that the Yahoogroups VOOM mailing list is a very good list, there is some VERY good information posted there. I am very hopefull that this new feature will enhance the Yahoogroup and get more people participating as now they dont need to worry about the spam problem the Yahoogroups offer.

When I go on to the Yahoo group, I firstt look for any postings by Wilt or Dragonfly's Mom, as they are the definitive Voom answer guys. I'm sure hat many members here do the same thing.

Would it be possible to assign a symbol of some kind to mark their posts so that they can easily be found?

Shelly

If Wilt or DragonFlys Mom would post from here to the Yahoogroup then that would be possible. :)

I dont believe those messages have been indexed yet by the server.

The index is rebuilt a few times a week in the early morning (as it slows down the server greatly) :)

Regarding the threads. We can merge these threads on our end, is that correct? when someone posts from here, it will only post the post and not the entire thread, is that correct?

Excellent job Scott.
That's what we needed. I also hope that our contacts with Wilt and Dragon_lady will be easier this way.
I've got a question. When I post something on the Yahoo group via Satelliteguys; is my email address going to show up on the yahoo?

Scott,

any way to get rid of the following lines. It is in every post and at the end of each post. It will make it cleaner. I have merged the related threads so anything that comes through it, we will be merging as long as they are related:

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eS...QLSAA/EyMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No under the terms of service from Yahoo we can not remove those footers.

We need to remember that it is because of these Sponsor message that the VOOM Yahoogroup is able to be. (And for that matter all Yahoogroups)

We will respect those ads here on SatelliteGuys as our thanks to Yahoo for providing the group. (Although again we own mailing list software which offers every feature YAHOO Groups does and we do not put ads in, I have offered this software to the Yahoogroups moderator and he never even responded to my message)

Forgive my ignorance, but do I have to maintain my Yahoo ID and membership to this (the Yahoo) group to post? Or can I now obliterate my membership and ID there along with any links to my email address? Thanks so much for this Scott!!

No you no longer need to maintain your Yahoo ID or or VOOM Yahoogroups membership to post to this group via SatelliteGuys.

This is one of the nice parts about doing it from SatelliteGuys. :)

BTW when you post the email address sent is something like...
username.xmdh80@nobody.satelliteguys.us

You will ne getting no spam anymore because of Yahoogroups. :D

Wow! This is excellent, Scott!
Thank you!

Scott Greczkowski said:
No you no longer need to maintain your Yahoo ID or or VOOM Yahoogroups membership to post to this group via SatelliteGuys.

This is one of the nice parts about doing it from SatelliteGuys. :)

BTW when you post the email address sent is something like...
username.xmdh80@nobody.satelliteguys.us

You will ne getting no spam anymore because of Yahoogroups. :D

Scott,
what will happen with the yahoo group when all yahoo members unsubscribe because it is so much more convenient to do it via satelliteguys? I hope we will not kill the yahoo group altogether. :eek:

I doubt we will.

As long as Wilt and DragonLady keep posting at the Yahoogroups, the Yahoogroup will remain alive.

It is my hope that we can actually help the Yahoogroup thrive as many who would never view or subscribe to the VOOM group due to spam issues will enjoy it and participate in it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)