Voomer moved to Comcast – initial thoughts

Comcast

mrhph said:
I have called Comcast twice now about the 3rd deal that you have mentioned, but they couldn't find it. It could be that it is only offered in MD and not CA where I live.

The CSR who was going to call me back after she talked to the CSR who signed me up to the other 12 month deal (with the charge for HD and the $5 per month per premium), never called back. What seemed like a slam dunk has turned into a behind the back three-pointer, blind-folded and defended by Yao Ming! I think I will be stuck with the 16 month deal for $70 (with 3 rooms, HDDVR, and 5 premium packages) offered by the direct sales guy (who will give me one month of free premiums). And if Directv ever gets anything in HD worth going back to, the same guy is authorized to give me a good deal on that too. Happy viewing in CA!
Wayne

Comcast installed yesterday

Comcast installed yesterday and no big deal. I had wires already run and all they had to do was install box. They changed all my ends to their own at junction area (said they had to do this - policy). They did not change ones entering the set(s). I only went with cheapest package (no premium channels). HD does not compare with VOOMs but is close but no winner by no means. I was hoping to be impressed but was not. Wish install was after Vooms shutdown so I couldn't compare both of them. Installers were knowledgeable, friendly and especially non destructive and Comcasts reps were friendly and courteous over the phone. Was impressed by the way all involved treated me as last time I was involved with cable was in 85 and it was not a good relationship at all. Now comes the learning phase and am thankful of no 5-11 issues on locals. Redid my Harmony remote to Comcast and that made it almost enjoyable. Good Luck to others who switch.

Switched to Cablevision IO Digital Optimum

I switched about 10 days' ago and I am fairly impressed. I have everything, i.e. Rainbow Gold and three VOD premium channels: HBO, Showtime and Max. HD is quite satisfactory and includes the five broadcast networks, INHD, Thirteen HD, MSG Network HD, FSN NY HD, ESPN HD, Starz HD, Universal HD, HBO HD Showtime HD, Cinemax HD and The Movie Channel HD. Bonus is a Hi-Def on Demand, charging $6.95 per showing, with about 8 titles available - you can preview each for free. Other SD on Demand features are Movies (for $4.95@), Disney, Thirteen/PBS and IFC Uncensored on Demand. It also has all the SD channels available of HBO, Showtime, STARZ, Encore, MAX and TMC.

I am very satisfied with the Scientific American 8300 HD DVR. Just having an HD DVR is terrific.

Installer was efficient and professional. On the two occassions that I had to call for followup (one receiver became not authorized over night and to deactivate the PIN) there was no waiting time to talk to a CSR and both were knowledgeable, polite and helpful.

Martin21

P.S. I received a no-charge installation for three rooms and three VOD channels for nothing for month because of the switch from satellite. They call it DBS win-back and doesn't seem to be advertised.

When cancelling my Directv I also learned I could have received a $250 "allowance" on the purchase of their DVR. Didn't change my mind.

Martin21

I have been a E customer for many years and was jist about to change tovoom in April when I read about the service shuting down. I live in Maine and have Adelphia cable and I called about their HD package, and since I am a first time customer they are giving me their digital HD package with HD programing and local channels with 6 months free Showtime and another movie package with a HDDVR for only $49 a month for 11 months and no instal charge and no contract plus I am getting 2 more HDDVR for only 7.95 each per month. I will go with this until sat goes to MPG4. Cablevisiom up their bid for Adelphia with all cash and if they win I would assume they would give their cust. the voom 21 pack

Got Time Warner cable installed yesterday with the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR. At first I was a bit disappointed but it looks like it will be ok until something better comes up.

Of course you can't expect the installer guy to set it up correctly for HD so with a bit of fiddling around with it I got the HD turned on and a satisfactory SD zoom and fit scheme. The downside is the HD DVR unit has a DVI output but your HDTV must support HDCP which my new Samsung DLP does not, therefore I have to use component. Maybe I'm just picky, but I swear the HD channels are not as crisp and there is a bit of color blending, i.e. yellow faces. Had a few problems with getting the right authorizations turned on and an ungodly wait on line to get to a CSR.

Also the fantastic deal quoted on the phone for returning from satellite wasn't in writting when I signed, but when I spoke with direct sales, the gal gave me the necessary credits to get down to the quoted costs and gave me her full name and direct extension.

So far the HD DVR seems really cool especially when you have to take a phone call or go to the bathroom. Also it came with a bunch of VOD that I'll have to explore along with the HD on demand at $6.95 a movie.

I've been anti cable for 20 years and reluctantly let them touch my house. Only until something better comes along. I want it all, and I want it NOW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)