Vooming in Enid, OK...Not pleasant.

Ed Beach

Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I have had Voom for over a month now and I am getting so disgusted with service that I am about to call it quits.
As you know, Voom has a great product (despite it being a bit repetitive). From the very beginning, good reception from the satellite has been sporadic. When it is good, it is very very good but when it is bad....oh my! For a while they told me they had a bad bunch of receivers. Now after three different ones tried .... my signal is still pixilating (breaking up) despite having a signal strength of 90 to 96 most of the time. I have been trying to get a good tech out hear to do a proper aiming of the satellite and to try another receiver. Voom promises they will come and it has been two weeks with no word from the installer...Morris Electronics.

Does anyone have similar problems in this area?
Ed, OK

The service works as advertised when properly installed...to include OTA. You have patiently waited over a month for these problems to be corrected and all you want to do is enjoy your VOOM service without further outage. At this point in time, I would play the "Wilt" card and save yourself further time and aggravation.

Push help-info-ok on the remote to see what software version you have. With older versions we were experiencing what you describe if the last OTA station we had tuned to was a little weak. Check it out and let us know.

6.2 is the latest.
6.1 is the bad one.

Thanks for reply. My OTA reception is quite good and stealth antenna seems to be bringing in good from OKC. It is my satellite reception that is bad.
I pressed help then info and got this re version

Version Info
EPG: 1.9.8H
Otv: C0139
Nep: 620

As a non-techie, I haven't a clue what this means. Is this good or bad?

It pays to read message again.....
I failed to press OK
Version is V00.06.20
so I guess this is OK
Thanks.

riffjim4069 said:
The service works as advertised when properly installed...to include OTA. You have patiently waited over a month for these problems to be corrected and all you want to do is enjoy your VOOM service without further outage. At this point in time, I would play the "Wilt" card and save yourself further time and aggravation.

I guess by "wilt" you mean "quit"
I tend to agree but the service is so good when it works I hate to give up. Someone suggested that dish may be picking up a lot of ground-horizon interference since the satellite is low on the horizon. A cover of some kind of copper screening may screen out the interference. It is worth a try if I can find some copper screening.
Thanks again,
Ed

tdillon said:
Being a non-techie is bad. JK :D

I know... and being an "old" non techie is even worse. Still, I am trying. And with help from forums like this I might even become more "techie"
Ed

Ed Beach said:
I guess by "wilt" you mean "quit"
Nope, more like playing a "trump" card.

Wilt is the Chief Engineer at Cablevision/VOOM who will take action to solve your problem. Sending Wilt a valid complaint via e-mail is like hiring a hit man; your problems will "go away" and no bodies will ever be found.

riffjim4069 said:

Wilt is the Chief Engineer at Cablevision/VOOM who will take action to solve your problem. Sending Wilt a valid complaint via e-mail is like hiring a hit man; your problems will "go away" and no bodies will ever be found.

Thanks for the tip. Would you by any chance know the e mail address to contact Wilt. :)
Thanks again
Ed

riffjim4069 said:

Some things never seem to change do they...
Wilt continues to be the only one at Voom solving problems/saving the customer base.
How is Voom ever going to increase above 30K subs if they don't improve in this area?

I know... Be Gone Troll. Get a life. Go play your xbox. Whatever.

txcruiser said:
Some things never seem to change do they...
You are correct....you and rkr923 appear to be joined at the hip. Perhaps you should both be excommunicated from the VOOM Forum. Hmmm. While you too don't post anything of value on the Forum, you don't annoy me like rkr. Perhaps it's his ? icon or perhaps it was his whining about his installation...yet not being smart enough to figure out that he needed to plug in his OTA antenna into the OTA module. Actually, several people told him to check his OTA connection, but he elected not to listen and poo-poo'd all recommendations.

Anyway, I guess everyone must have their Newman (aka rkr?).

Newman....

P.S. In the movie Escape from New York, didn't the President have a big ? drawn on his forehead?

Ed Beach said:
Thanks for reply. My OTA reception is quite good and stealth antenna seems to be bringing in good from OKC. It is my satellite reception that is bad.
I pressed help then info and got this re version

Version Info
EPG: 1.9.8H
Otv: C0139
Nep: 620

As a non-techie, I haven't a clue what this means. Is this good or bad?
I realize you are referring to your Sat reception. You have the most current firmware on your STB so my theory doesn't apply. In version 6.10 there was a direct correlation between the signal strength of the last OTA channel tuned to and the sat reception. Appaerntly that is not what is happening for you.

riffjim4069 said:
It must be a Couch Potato versus Chair Potato thing...

Anyone who can come up with a one-liner like that is a genius in my book.
Please keep posting and "informing the masses"

Ed Beach said:
I have had Voom for over a month now and I am getting so disgusted with service that I am about to call it quits.
As you know, Voom has a great product (despite it being a bit repetitive). From the very beginning, good reception from the satellite has been sporadic. When it is good, it is very very good but when it is bad....oh my! For a while they told me they had a bad bunch of receivers. Now after three different ones tried .... my signal is still pixilating (breaking up) despite having a signal strength of 90 to 96 most of the time. I have been trying to get a good tech out hear to do a proper aiming of the satellite and to try another receiver. Voom promises they will come and it has been two weeks with no word from the installer...Morris Electronics.

Does anyone have similar problems in this area?
Ed, OK

Ed,

that sounds very strange. It looks like something is interference with your reception. You mentioned something to this sort in another post. Do you have anything in front of the dish that may be producing this. Any electrical wires, trees, or anything else?

Just thought I would bring the forum up to date on
what is happening with my reception problems.

I contacted Wilt yesterday and within the hour I had an e mail promise from him that he would see to my problems.
I am impressed.....and have delayed my cancellation of services.

I just accidently found this forum yesterday when I was searching for info on my voom installer..Morris Elctrontrics.
What a find!......What a help!

Thanks to all and will keep you all informed of progress
Ed from OK

PS I have in my garage what I think is a 24 inch dish that I purchased from Dish Network when they were my provider.
Do you think I should connect this larger dish (I think the Voom dish is 18 inches) and see what happens? I read somewhere in these forums that a larger dish has helped in some areas.

With a 90 to 96 signal I doubt the 24 would help the pixalating problem you see. However it might increase your signal closer to 99.
Like Sean said, it sounds like you are having interference problems. Do you have tree's, electrical lines, or anything else that moves with the wind in front of or in the line of site of your dish? Also, are you next to any radio towers? Any or all of those could cause interference and degrade your reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)